Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golfnut
    replied
    As the IGSL has 2 receivers which are gated at different times it is capable of resolving coincident target phases.


    IDX, TGSL etc if you get an equivalent mass/size of Fe and non Fe, as the phases of the targets give one pos response and one neg response - then the two signals, which are on the same channel - sum to zero and nothing is heard. Some clad coins do this.

    S

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    In order to detect two metals "simultaneously", I would think they would have to be slightly separated and the signals received at separate times -- otherwise, the two signals would combine into one. Is that not true?

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Because there is some structure from ~14th century near by, I guess it must be somewhat younger than that. Other than that there is no way establishing it's age.
    Anyway, having both iron and coloured metals tones simultaneously makes it much easier recognising recent thrash from genuine artefacts.

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Davor View Post
    Point is - I did not make any changes on the board. Of all my mods the pin-swap is the most demanding, as it requires swapping adjacent pins on two chips.

    I'm about to make a few additional changes on my IGSL by autumn and then it will be ready for PCB editing. I'm very happy with IGSL's ability to discriminate both iron and coloured metals so it is very helpful for recovering artefacts (see a picture of a chisel I found a few days ago), but I'm not happy with it's GB range (I want it to be beach-ready), and I'm not too happy with it's Rx front end.

    Do you need board layout for the current version of IGSL? You can buy a board at Silverdog's shop if that's more convenient to you.
    That could be very old indeed. It depends on the metal, the ground where it was buried (how "preserving" the ground is") and whether or not Roman ruled there at any time.......Have you any thoughts on its age?
    I find long nails from time to time in the forest near where I live, which is very close to the "Limes" Wall in Germany, one of Emperor Hadrian's works.
    The nails appear to be hand forged and the thought is that they were used to hold the wooden Limes wall together....I actually re-bury them now as there are SO many around where I search....

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Point is - I did not make any changes on the board. Of all my mods the pin-swap is the most demanding, as it requires swapping adjacent pins on two chips.

    I'm about to make a few additional changes on my IGSL by autumn and then it will be ready for PCB editing. I'm very happy with IGSL's ability to discriminate both iron and coloured metals so it is very helpful for recovering artefacts (see a picture of a chisel I found a few days ago), but I'm not happy with it's GB range (I want it to be beach-ready), and I'm not too happy with it's Rx front end.

    Do you need board layout for the current version of IGSL? You can buy a board at Silverdog's shop if that's more convenient to you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Davor; 07-15-2013, 05:08 PM. Reason: Forgot picture :lol:

    Leave a comment:


  • liekwang
    replied
    ?Hai. Davor is you've got a board layout for the file the top side of its component parts..??

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Fe targets work more intense when pointing at the coil, not laying down. Also there are many targets you assume are made of iron, but are in fact poor conducting alloys.

    Pin swap will enable straightforward discrimination, and possibility of joining Sens. control, but it will not influence sensitivity. If you are certain there is lack of sensitivity you better seek the cause elsewhere.

    I think pin swap is an excellent mod because it makes Fe and non-Fe discrimination completely independent. I so much like this way of independent MD interface that I intend to keep this approach in my future builds as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turjake
    replied
    Hello,

    My IGSL TGSL is suffering from weak iron channel: moderate sized iron bolt gives clear tone to 20cm then prr prr sound to 25cm. Everything else works fine and depth for 1euro coin is 35cm. I have made stability mod, changed to bipolars and added capacitors to -6.2V and 8V rails around U5. These made the detector much more stable and added little depth but weak Fe channel remains. I have checked components in the Fe block but cant find faults. Is the pin swap mod inevitable at this point? Any troubleshooting tips appreciated. I have scope also but don't have reference to working Fe channel. Thank you.

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Assuming an op amp provides 0.002% THD (LM833) and your fundamental is at 200mV, and assuming the most distortion power is shared between 2nd and 3rd harmonics, you may expect some 1/100 000 of 3rd harmonic in output.

    Now, consider air signal of 200mV meeting a ground signal of equal amplitude, both submitted to a 1/100 000 3rd harmonic mechanism, after some tedious calculation you get ~240nV of the 3rd order product reflected back to the carrier vicinity. You want to know what it means when referenced to the input, so you need to divide these numbers with gain (47) and you obtain 5nV.

    Considering noise over a 10Hz bandwidth exceeds 5nV by a safe margin, you may consider your 200mV a tolerable figure, but only in case of LM833 or better op amp.

    NE5532 is the same topology and you can expect comparable results so it should work the same here.

    LF353 is the standard front-end of TGSL, and it has 10 times THD of LM833, hence it's sensitivity will drop at smaller values of residual "air signal" than your IGSL with LM833.


    THD is typically expressed for 1kHz, and tends to rise rapidly past 1kHz.

    ..............................................

    And now something completely different...

    You may consider AM noise of a well built (Tx) oscillator somewhere at -140dBc/Hz at 10Hz due to components noise contribution only, so you would have plenty of headroom before you match input noise. But somehow you are barely within the limits of input noise with 200mV carrier (e.g. amplitude as seen from the preamp input). Let's see why...

    Noise performance of LC oscillators is related to the supply rail voltage purity, hence it must be superb, or otherwise...

    Let's ponder a second on it. I found that a simple 7805 regulator gives some 40uV of noise in audio band. Thus it is divided by sqrt(20000) and scaled for 7808, normalised to 200mV amplitude, reduced for gain, and we get some ~10nV/sqrt(Hz), again very close and barely exceeding input noise performance. Right here it is clear that a switching regulator would be a killjoy at this place. It is also clear that halving air signal residual would reduce AM noise injection by half.

    Filtering a power supply rail using a low noise reference, such as red LED, would improve power rail noise by factor of 10 or so. IMHO it would be a game changer in PI vs. IB depth battle.

    Leave a comment:


  • golfnut
    replied
    myth busted

    On the nulling,


    I did a check of mine and it was poor at 200mV - thing is, Ive been finding small roman bronze with it - so how does that work.

    I also did an air test with some ferrite on my coil to have an 800mV null and it was the same air test distance as the 200mV null case.

    S

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Here is a kind of interim solution to a better IGSL front-end with minimum intervention to the original layout. It considers single ended coil connection to the non-inverting side of a preamp. Because all the resistors are reduced by factor of 4.7, and there is no resistor in series with the non-inverting branch, the input referenced noise drops from over 6nV/sqrt(Hz) to 3.2nV, some 6dB improvement.

    The inverting side is configured as a band pass filter, so 50Hz is attenuated for some 40dB more, which is a good thing.

    Noise figures assume an op amp with ~7nV/sqrt(Hz) input noise. It could be improved with a better op amp, and by further reducing resistors. Because input DC bias is derived through equal resistors (47k), even OP27 that is notorious for it's problem with common mode noise will perform well.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • sini
    replied
    You are absolutely right,
    in my home is to much interference signal. I am ready to do real tests on field, but in my area there are few interference signals - 750 kW, 639 kHz radio transmitter 8 km from my home, main train corridor, etc..
    Thank you for your help

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    It actually looks as a common mode pickup of mains hum. Now, as there are a few options for connecting a coil to the preamp, and there are also a few options for coil realisation, I can only wonder what situation you have there. Whatever you have, using a device away from mains voltage, and on batteries, should eliminate this kind of hum. I can hear your device being a bit nervous, and sound seem binary. All of this will get much quieter outside.

    Leave a comment:


  • sini
    replied
    Hi,
    I used small aluminium foil ( recomendation from Davor ) for nulling coil . With foil I reached much deeper nulling. Rx signal is after nulling 24 mV on the Rx preamplifier output ( signal is 24 mV , not 240 mV as is on video - bad setting menu of oscilocope ) . Is the AM modulation on video what you talked about ?

    Rx- small signal nulled at 24 mV peak-peak at output preamplifier, synchronized from Tx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K329C...ature=youtu.be

    Rx- small signal nulled at 24 mV peak-peak at output preamplifier AM modulation, synchronized from Rx



    Rx- small signal nulled at 24 mV peak-peak at output preamplifier, synchronized from Rx , aditional 50 Hz interference

    Leave a comment:


  • liekwang
    replied
    ?I would like to know how wide the pcb Boards ISGL how many cm long x width of anyone on this Board over his answer thank you

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X