I receive today the two PCB (TGSL and Musketeer ) from Silverdog. Pro quality and quick delivery, thanks Silverdog.
In a few days I must begun assembling the components.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
IGSL
Collapse
X
-
Do you have a chance just to try it out for us here? Does anyone here?Originally posted by simonbaker View PostGood for comparing phase of two signals of exactly same frequency. Probably not stable enough to use when two diff frequency sources. For our work, measuring frequency with oscilloscope or multimeter frequency counter should be plenty close enough.
Regards,
-SB
Thanks in advance
Andy
Leave a comment:
-
I agree with simon stateing quote check that you frequency meter is accurate in the post above, and I like to advance on that saying that applies to all test equipment, us engineers regulary check are equipment for accuracy'' well maybe I dont as much as should but thats me
im sure most of you do or should do which is quite simple for us because either we have duplicate equipment to compare with, or we know someone who has.
Now the point I like to put forward is that a novis or engineer has a meter looks at it like a bible, ie if it says 6.5mh then it is, because its the gospel, there meter/bible told them so.
The moral of that situation is, if they got duff test equipment they most certainly would have been better off without it because they would have looked at different angles to get round the situation.
You only have to look at some of the threads on here to realise that either some people either cant use the particular equipment, bad eye sight, or got duff test kit.
I can personaly say that in almost 40 years engineering in the Radio and TV trade never came across test equipment that couldnt use apart from that heap of crap bought from fleebay in china inductance meter (the one in a blue housing lol) I posted in previous post here.
you all know the story of that one with the TGSL coils, and im a engineer, so imagine a newbie in the same situation, you would think they would be knackered up against the wall, but some do pull it off admeration is called for, how some of them make these projects work with the limit of there skills makes my mind boggle, saying that I was quite lucky when i was a kid willed most of my projects to work, otherwise they were on along with my chemistry experiments to burn the evidence.
Anyway yet another good interesting topic I take my hat off to you all
Regards
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks, nice circuit!Originally posted by golfnut View PostAll this is the 16.3kHz crytal controlled tune up aid I used for my Rx coil cap combo.
Best of all its less than £3
Steve
My problem is multimeter AC volts usually doesn't go to 20 kHz -- more like 400 Hz range. So be careful to check your AC voltmeter frequency range. However, it probably wouldn't make too much error, depending on slope of frequency fall-off.
Regards,
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
Good for comparing phase of two signals of exactly same frequency. Probably not stable enough to use when two diff frequency sources. For our work, measuring frequency with oscilloscope or multimeter frequency counter should be plenty close enough.Originally posted by der_fisherman View PostHi Guys,
I just remembered something from my school years about Lissajous figures and Oscilloscopes, so I looked it up on the web and found a great site here, do have a little play to see how it works, use a 90° phase difference at first:-
Whether or not we can use this or not to set up an oscillator in an MD or not I cannot say for certain as my scope's X-Y function does not work..
My thoughts were to use a frequency generator, there are free software ones for PCs on the web (like the one described by Don Bowers in TGSL 101.), to set up the required frequency and take the other from the IGSL.
If the frequencies are identical, you will get display changing between a flat line at 45° to a full circle, when the frequencies are identical are identical. This could be a great way to make sure that your IGSL is on frequency.
Don does a similar method, but using his ears to compare the two signals, this should be even more accurate (at least with old ears!!
)!!!!
Any phase difference will change the X-Y display it from a full circle to a flat line.....
Free software signal generators to download are here:-
Any thoughts gentlemen? Can someone try it out?
Regards
Andy
Regards,
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
Easy way to check a frequency against a known frequency
Hi Guys,
I just remembered something from my school years about Lissajous figures and Oscilloscopes, so I looked it up on the web and found a great site here, do have a little play to see how it works, use a 90° phase difference at first:-
Whether or not we can use this or not to set up an oscillator in an MD or not I cannot say for certain as my scope's X-Y function does not work..
My thoughts were to use a frequency generator, there are free software ones for PCs on the web (like the one described by Don Bowers in TGSL 101.), to set up the required frequency and take the other from the IGSL.
If the frequencies are identical, you will get display changing between a flat line at 45° to a full circle, when the frequencies are identical are identical. This could be a great way to make sure that your IGSL is on frequency.
Don does a similar method, but using his ears to compare the two signals, this should be even more accurate (at least with old ears!!
)!!!!
Any phase difference will change the X-Y display it from a full circle to a flat line.....
Free software signal generators to download are here:-
Any thoughts gentlemen? Can someone try it out?
Regards
Andy
Leave a comment:
-
Tune up aid - £2.50
All this is the 16.3kHz crytal controlled tune up aid I used for my Rx coil cap combo.
Best of all its less than £3
Steve
Leave a comment:
-
A good inductance and capacitance meter is worth getting for this business. Then just calc the required capacitance and verify by meter - is easiest way.Originally posted by golfnut View PostAll, I recently got my Tx on frqeuncy tweaking the coil an caps.
I now need a 16.3kHz source to provide a constant amplitude signal to enable me to quickly tune Rx coil / caps to 16.3kHz to give biggest Rx signal thru Rx chain..
Thinking of a digital watch they have 32.768Khz clock, the sharper amongst you will have realised that if you divide this by 2 you almost land bang on.
You can get a watch xtal for $0.40 or a complete 32kHx oscillator for £1
A dual D type FF will do the '/,2
I got some bit on order if usefull I will post data.
The flip side is waving coins all night ,,,
But your way would be good too if you have patience.
Here is another possibility -- put your RX coil instead of TX in the oscillator, and put .015 uF cap instead of .022 uF cap in oscillator. Then adjust the .015 uF cap until oscillator frequency is approx 16.3 kHz. You will be very close. Or more accurate is to calculate the final value as:
Crx = Cx * C1 / (Cx + C1)
Where Cx is your tweaked .015 uF cap combo, and C1 = .22 uF.
Crx is the capacitor you need in parallel with your Rx coil.
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
Tune up aid
All, I recently got my Tx on frqeuncy tweaking the coil an caps.
I now need a 16.3kHz source to provide a constant amplitude signal to enable me to quickly tune Rx coil / caps to 16.3kHz to give biggest Rx signal thru Rx chain..
Thinking of a digital watch they have 32.768Khz clock, the sharper amongst you will have realised that if you divide this by 2 you almost land bang on.
You can get a watch xtal for $0.40 or a complete 32kHx oscillator for £1
A dual D type FF will do the '/,2
I got some bit on order if usefull I will post data.
The flip side is waving coins all night ,,,
Leave a comment:
-
Should not make a big difference, i think.Originally posted by bernte_one View Posthello
on my board i used a BC 547C instead of BC 547A (i think normal) because it wasn´t in the kit. now i compare datsheet i saw that the c type has higher gain - so it is stronger should this make some problems in future when my igsl finally works?
Leave a comment:
-
hello
on my board i used a BC 547C instead of BC 547A (i think normal) because it wasn´t in the kit. now i compare datsheet i saw that the c type has higher gain - so it is stronger should this make some problems in future when my igsl finally works?
Leave a comment:
-
Hello Silverdog
Today I received my order from you, Belden, potentiometers, speakers, but not 2 games IGLS pcb
You are also wrong that my Address proper command to your pm.
Leave a comment:
-
OUUUCCHHHHHH!Originally posted by bernte_one View Postok 22:17 o´clock in germany
have to work tomorrow
last result
resoldered 3 of my pots - first test run - blew one cap 220uf25V wrong poled
checked my coils before testing - oh no after glueing them and tighten/covering with tape they drift from 14,7mH and 0,98mH to 12mH and 0,8mH
next try next weekend good night
thats like this
https://<b><u>http://www.omfg.to/wat...-eier/</u></b> sorry
(ps i love pi coils)
Even i do feel the pain here!!
Stupid girl and 10 times more stupid boy!
They should be married by now!







"..ps i love pi coils..."
You are not the only one!
Leave a comment:
-
Jerry
Hi, Jerry I was a full 1kHz low, I took a good few turns off maybe 6, but it wasnt dropping too quickly.
I thought Id measure the caps on the tank.
I took C1 (220nF) off and it was 230nF - I replaced it with 2x100nF in parallel.
This got me quite close - I then measured C2 and it was big also at 25nF - I put a 100nF in series with my large C2 this gave me 20nF. So instead of 220 and 22 - I have 200 and 20.
Bingo, plus tuning the base bias trimmer I can get 14.6kHz with 17.5v p-p swing on the collector.
Tuning the Tx to what the drawing says has lost me 1/2 of the detect range I originally had.
Id guess its a matter of tweaking the Rx coil - mine had a few extra turns on as a safeguard.
Looks like I will be reducing this and or the caps..
Good clean fun
S
Leave a comment:
-
ok 22:17 o´clock in germany
have to work tomorrow
last result
resoldered 3 of my pots - first test run - blew one cap 220uf25V wrong poled
checked my coils before testing - oh no after glueing them and tighten/covering with tape they drift from 14,7mH and 0,98mH to 12mH and 0,8mH
next try next weekend good night
thats like this
http://www.omfg.to/watch/1769-mitten-in-die-eier/ sorry
(ps i love pi coils)
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: