Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMT Bandito Info/Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Koala
    replied
    Cheers good for magnification managed to acquire two industrial ones and have a wide selection of tips for my iron. Ordered from DX some good quality solder braid and some solder paste to try. Looking at the schematics and there are some parts missing from the list like the zener diode probably not needed (battery LED)

    One of the transistors is a different pad size SOT-323 will have to change the parts list.

    Also on one of the thread there was mention of 3 alternate transistors but can only see two type on the schematics. Could have been for the TGSL as some of the thread are merged.

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Not sure about the solder paste. The parts are glued on when we get them. The glue releases with heat so
    you can (somewhat) remove them for repair. The manufacturer would use a silk screen to apply paste just
    where needed. I'd use it on a microprocessor or other multi legged fine pitch part. The parts on here don't
    really require it but if you get it you will have to paint it on so a pen or injector would be best.

    A fine tipped iron (the smaller the better), some fine solder, some solder braid, tweezers and some kind of magnifier
    is all you need to make this pcb. I find the magnifier makes the biggest difference. If you can see clearly you can
    do a good job.

    I use a head mounted magnifier with 2.3x magnification and a microscope with 5x for tricky stuff. Something like this;

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    Hmm by the time your done you could have bought a nice unit!

    I can get some cheapo's from china for $6.50 for 5 sets of male and female but
    that means I'd have to change it out on my current units...

    The 16mm matches the 5/8" of the Switchcraft so you could easily swap them right out!




    With 5 I can make all my detectors the same so I pulled the trigger and got some. It'll take a few weeks to get here so get em while their hot!
    Switchcraft slimline connectors have always been very expensive

    That's what I am going to do also

    eBay for switches connectors and potentiometers. Could get the POTs from Mouser but would be very poor quality (which tend to jump around and be unstable) compared to whats on eBay.

    Looking on YouTube solder paste looks easier for SMD as it holds the device as well, only a few just over a dollar on DX.com

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Hmm by the time your done you could have bought a nice unit!

    I can get some cheapo's from china for $6.50 for 5 sets of male and female but
    that means I'd have to change it out on my current units...

    The 16mm matches the 5/8" of the Switchcraft so you could easily swap them right out!




    With 5 I can make all my detectors the same so I pulled the trigger and got some. It'll take a few weeks to get here so get em while their hot!

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    not cheap




    might have the gender the wrong way round not sure if the are the same as whites or opposite

    cheaper here http://www.heilind.com/ but 50 day lead time

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I have a bunch of different coils made in 9", a couple with standard windings and some centertapped RX's
    and some Minelab ones and also a Whites/Minelab contraption with 36mh RX. With the original Tesoro I can
    see if they are better or worst.

    Do you know where to get a connector to make my coils plug into the Tesoro?

    I know I've seen the info but wasn't too interested as I was making my own at the time. I know there are old
    and new ones the old had 5 pins and new 4 but not sure if it is standard Din or something else...

    I bought several 10" coil housings thinking my coils would fit but the didn't as they are 9" (was measuring in metric)
    so I got 2 9" housings too. But now I find out I need some $35 potting compound to fill them....

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Very interesting link Ivconic has done a great job. Think I will stick with standard setup for now. MinLab coils aren't that easy to pick up here. Again it will be nice to compare the difference. I will make a DD to start with as I already got a jig made. Will be the same size as the IDX just different windings so again a direct comparison will be possible. But might make a smaller CC later down the road for better target separation and better pin pointing if needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    If you look in the IGSL thread around page 5 you will find info on the Minelab mod.


    Basically Ivonic got tired of making coils and could buy the Minelab ones for a
    reasonable price so he tried a different oscillator and got good results. The
    coil is TX 1 mh - 45 Turns
    RX 14.7 mh - 200 Turns

    VS TX 5.9 mh - 100 turns
    RX 6.5 mh - 105 turns

    So the TX generates more ampturns and the reciever gets more signal.

    If I was using a stock Tesoro I'd use that but winding my own I'd use the Minelab one.
    Not sure in the ground how much difference there is but it should be a bit better....

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    TX has less windings so more field strength (ampturns).
    RX has more turns so more signal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    I just scored a real Bandito from back in the day. It's the original 1990's one
    with 2 boards (??). No one has documented the difference between that one
    (with 2 batteries) and the newer ones. I'll have to check it out!.

    I'll probably put this SMT one in a Tracker case as my efforts to improve it
    have been futile! There's just the question of should I use the Tracker coil or
    a DD with Minelab specs...
    Excellent you will be able to compare the performance with the Monte nail board test as the original is regarded as the best Tesoro in an iron infested area or is that a myth. I for one will be interested in the results. I suspect there will be nothing between them. I have noticed on YouTube that the audio of the original is slightly sharper (very nice short sharp beep) on targets but that could be the quality of the videos. Where as the newer umax seems softer longer beep.

    BOM on Mouser now has caps resistor transistors and diodes added another 2 standard diodes to try before swapping to schottky


    What is the advantage of the Minlab spec coils of the standard Tesoro

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I just scored a real Bandito from back in the day. It's the original 1990's one
    with 2 boards (??). No one has documented the difference between that one
    (with 2 batteries) and the newer ones. I'll have to check it out!.

    I'll probably put this SMT one in a Tracker case as my efforts to improve it
    have been futile! There's just the question of should I use the Tracker coil or
    a DD with Minelab specs...

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    Here's my list. Some caps were on other schematics I guess.

    C1-470nf
    C2-47nf
    C3-??
    C4-100UF
    C5-100UF
    C6-220Uf
    C7-10Uf
    C8-220Uf
    C9-100pf
    C10-22pf
    C11-??
    C12-180pf
    C13-10pf
    C14-8.2pf
    C15-33nf
    C16-39pf
    C17-220nf
    C18-22pf
    C19-100nf
    C20-100nf
    C21-100nf
    C22-10nf
    C23-10nf
    C24-10nf
    C25-100nf
    C26-??
    C27-??
    C28-10nf
    C29-10nf
    C30-0.47Uf
    C31-0.47Uf
    C32-22nf
    C33-22nf
    C34-100nf
    C35-10nf
    C36-100nf
    C37-0.47Uf
    C38-4.7Uf
    C39-4.7Uf
    C40-??
    C42-100UF

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    fasted I have seen from the USA is a week and a half by air and longest via overland is a month

    take it
    C3-??
    C11-??
    C26-??
    C27-??
    C40-??

    Don't exist have not got access to the program on the laptop as it's running OS X

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I think the 10uf is a mistake Sorry! I thought the same thing get the pots from Ebay.

    The optional cap for the RX us a small value (1 - 2 pf) to tune it a bit. Probably not needed.

    No board yet and I wonder if I ordered one as I had emailed Silver Dog and then sent him some money
    and thought I was all set but then he PM'ed me here saying he has a board available for me. Not sure
    what's going on. Maybe he has one more?

    I got a reply from Paypal saying I have a package coming...

    Leave a comment:


  • Koala
    replied
    Tesoro used a three turn POT for the ground. Very expensive at Mouser. So added a 1 turn. Might knock it off and use a 10 turn from eBay. Used a 10 turn on my IDX works very well. Does not take too long to adjust as you are not moving it far from the last time you used the detector.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X