Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Voodoo Main Discussion
Collapse
X
-
@Qiaozhi,,Thanks for the info again. @Silverdog,,,Nice one Andy,,Looking forward to you annoucing when the boards arrive and the prices. It'll be handy to be able to buy a programmed chip too as it will save a lot of builders a lot of frustration who have trouble with programmng. Thanks and regards, Marty.
-
The boards have reached Germany so as soon as they arrive I'll add them to the shop - I ordered the battery charger boards tooOriginally posted by MartyJ1963 View Post@Phantom,,,Has Silverdog received his order of boards yet? I visited the link for his shop but I can't see them available yet? Has he said he is supplying pre-programmed chips for the Voodoo or is this just a 'Maybe'? Thanks, Marty.
I haven't programmed a PIC yet, but as long as I can I'm happy to offer those too
Leave a comment:
-
Things always get messy when people start comparing detectors for depth. There are too many factors to consider, such as ground conditions, coil sizes, detector type, etc., etc.Originally posted by rickb View PostCan you give us an idea of real world performance compared to the best PI detectors on this forum?
Rick
Voodoo has two modes of operation - PI and Hybrid. In hybrid mode it is designed to find targets buried in areas with a lot of ferrous trash, such as UK farmland. These are places where a standard PI is not the first weapon of choice.
We all know of detectors that can demonstrate fantastic depth on a test target in areas with no trash. Youtube is littered with such demos. However, if you test the same detector is an area infested with ferrous trash the results are extremely disappointing.
The PI detectors in this forum are either non-motion or feature a self-adjusting threshold (SAT). If you've ever experimented with changing the speed of the SAT circuit, you will have noted that maximum depth is obtained when the SAT is very very slow. Whereas in practice the detector is much more usable if the SAT is active. If you read Chapter 7 it should be clear why Voodoo is a motion detector, and how it achieves good target separation. The Voodoo concept is about finding good targets in trashy conditions, not about maximum depth. On the other hand, depth measurements are quite respectable.
As they say ... "Horses for courses".Last edited by Qiaozhi; 10-23-2020, 11:15 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
The electrolytic capacitor voltage ratings do not have to be a specific value. They just need to have a rating that is above the maximum voltage they will be exposed to in the circuit. For example, the 1000uF capacitor (C1) can be rated at 16V.Originally posted by MartyJ1963 View PostHi Qiaozhi,,,Sorry about more questions,,but could you tell us what voltage ratings the Electrolytic capacitors are please? And, if the Crystal and LCD has to be a specific sort as I have a bagful of 20.000mhz crystals and some LCD 16X2 (Blue backlight) left over from other builds,,if they will do? Thanks, Marty.
On page 25 there is some information about the type of crystal required by the PIC.
The LCD is the standard 16x2 character type. Note that the connector pins on the PCB are wired as 1 to 16, but be aware that some LCDs are wired as 16, 15, and 1-14. There are also others with two rows of 8 pins that require a negative voltage for the backlight. Do not use this latter type.
Leave a comment:
-
I am wondering how the Raptor would fare in the comparison?Originally posted by Elliot View Post8" outside actual coil diameter. Spiral Litz wire with Scotch 24 shielding. The Voodoo can be compared with these (one is industry standard - Nox 800 The other is discussed on Geotech and is a good example of what anyone can build at home.
Leave a comment:
-
Ive got the 30x38 Sef F75 coil it measures 40 ohms / 10mH and 2.2 ohms/ 0.66mH
Leave a comment:
-
Phatom - you're getting mixed up.
Carl Moreland is Carl-NC.
George Overton is Qiaozhi.
For those that don't know, "Qiaozhi" is a transliteration of "George" in Chinese Mandarin.
==========================================
I am sorry George and all the forum for the mess. I've been reviewing some issues in the ITMD and I wrote "Carl" when I should write "George"
Regards to all
Phantom
Leave a comment:
-
8" outside actual coil diameter. Spiral Litz wire with Scotch 24 shielding. The Voodoo can be compared with these (one is industry standard - Nox 800 The other is discussed on Geotech and is a good example of what anyone can build at home.Originally posted by 6666 View PostCoil size, construction ?
Leave a comment:
-
To be clear, the question is about the Voovoo compared to the others.
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by Mdtoday View PostThat sucks 6666, given you probably paid DHL express.
If it is from JLPCB, I can place an order and generally have it on my desk via DHL in 6- 8 days.
The last delivery took a wrong turn and didn't see it for 12 days.
Good luck with Australia Post, hopefully you have some tracking number from them.
cheers
Mdtoday
Yes I paid for express delivery so dont know why they handed it to AP, currently demanding an explanation and 100% refund.
Leave a comment:
-
Can you give us an idea of real world performance compared to the best PI detectors on this forum?
Rick
Leave a comment:
-
That sucks 6666, given you probably paid DHL express.Originally posted by 6666 View PostOh NO, DHL express have passed my pcb's to Australia Post to deliver damned if I know why , this will add a huge delay.
If it is from JLPCB, I can place an order and generally have it on my desk via DHL in 6- 8 days.
The last delivery took a wrong turn and didn't see it for 12 days.
Good luck with Australia Post, hopefully you have some tracking number from them.
cheers
Mdtoday
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Qiaozhi,,,Sorry about more questions,,but could you tell us what voltage ratings the Electrolytic capacitors are please? And, if the Crystal and LCD has to be a specific sort as I have a bagful of 20.000mhz crystals and some LCD 16X2 (Blue backlight) left over from other builds,,if they will do? Thanks, Marty.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: