If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Yes, i did it (Jon Fick Data Logger). I allready build three of them, and they are working fine, both inputs(5V & 14V) are working O.K
The litlle ''secret'' for proper work is to include the jonsinc.h file with the main code, for compilation.
Regards.
Giannis
Thessaloniki-Greece.
Did somebody try to build Jon Fick’s data logger?
C source is included. Found at:
Yes, i already made two of them, and they work fine, both inputs (5V and 14V) works fine.
The only ''hot point'' to this litlle project is to include the ''johsinc.h'' ccs file with the the main code during compilation.
thanks for the tips - I agree that good construction and careful testing is vital for a project to be succesful.
BTW, I would hereby like to quote an important post (reply to my mag problem post) from a related forum at the THunting website, concerning Sensors' connections - it refers to EPE magazine issues of Sep. and Nov. 2004:
>....
>In the mean time, here's something from the September issue with a circuit correction. >
>"In the Sept. 04 issue (P.623) we advised that the correct number for Speake & Co.,
>the suppliers of the flux sensors, should be 01600 780150 and not as printed. In the
>Nov. 2004 issue we said that on Page 474 Fig 6, the FGM6 legends for Sig Out and GND
>have been transposed. GND is pin 2 and SIG OUT ispin 3. The wiring connections to the
>PCB should be transposed."
>
>I really can't see that being the problem but it will impede proper operation later for certain.
Moreover, an important addition is suggested as to make the PIC function more stable:
>I suggest that you add a 30k resistor between pin 40 on the PIC chip and ground. You
>should be able to do that easily on TB1 using alligator clip leads to test it. Or just wrap it
>round the posts and crimp the leads to hold it in place. If it works, solder the resistor to
>the back of the PC board.
>
>The PIC chip can become unstable in operation if the data in pin is left floating during
>operation. Normally, a 22k resistor in series with pin 40 and a 10k resistor to ground on
>the input side of the resistor is added for stability.
Hi Lazzy.
The cure for the troubles is a good design, even a stopgap.
MAG longer deserves to make a tutorial to PCB board.
Good soldering, stand under the PIC microcontroller, check the continuity of paths!
Each pin on the PIC must be somewhere overhead (resistor to Vcc), a long loose wires as an antenna are doing - nothing good.
The idea of an external signal instead of the sensor is amazing - you can avoid the instability of the most important place!
With the source program (Maggy07.asm) you can program and test the PIC by piece, each segment separately.
Such a procedure is indicated for each project, when switching on the light does not light.
Best regards Chris.
I have thought about the crystal and replaced it firsthand, but same unstable behaviour...
I remember testing the pcb with only the pic & lcd on, every other ic & sensors out, but same behaviour (I have to redo that though...). I may give a try the test on breadboard with your suggestions...
take uC out, put in on bread board and connect only supply voltages, quartz, switches and LED. ( run withot sensors, LCD, EEPROM, MAX 232... )
Insted of sensors use 2 simple square oscilator. ( http://www.seekic.com/forum/22_circu...SCILLATOR.html)
push record switch and check record LED
I think that way you can see if code is running ok.
I am glad to hear that you have constructed EPE mag and works properly!
I also constructed it but, despite the fact that construction plus components and connections are ok and tested "to the book", and the pic is properly programmed, I cannot make the kit function properly.
Please allow me to describe the problem I'm experiencing, asking for advice from someone who actually constructed the kit:
Only the first time I ran the instrument after construction, it went through the whole cycle of functions described in the article (showing for example, the sensor's readings, the intensity bargraph, etc.) - but this only lasted for about 10-15 seconds and only in the first run; after that, I constantly get the following 'unstable' behaviour:
- lcd shows some info, then goes blank; sometimes, lcd remains blank from switching-on (but sampling beeper beeps and diode flashes)
- eeproms are not detected (although present) or detects only one of them (of course, as you mention, it can still work without any eeprom attached)
- after the initial 'welcome' messages, information on the lcd is intermittent: there appear some numbers, sometimes like the ones shown in the magazine article, sometimes unidentifiable rubish
- response to panel switches is also problematic: for example, diode D1 is activated with 'Record' switch and diode D2 with the sampling rate
This behaviour exists with/without the sensors attached, and even with replacing the pic with a pre-programmed one (I use Velleman K8087 for programming, while the pre-programmed pic is supplied by Magenta Electronics).
I have tested all connections, re-programmed the pic many times, but behaviour remains 'unstable'.
Persons who further tested the kit, advised that it is electronically ok and thus the problem should be with the pic program code. But how does this explain the "correct" behaviour in the first run?
Personally, I think the problem is somewhere else, perhaps in some faulty component or the circuit design... I have thought about the eeprom chips, but the unstable behaviour is still there whithout them; I have also thought about improper programming of the pic, and for that reason I tried to use a pre-programmed pic, but the problem still exists!
I was afraid that the overall project shoud be rejected. But, having seen from you that construction can be succesful, I would much appreciate your help with overcoming the above problem and make the 'maggy' kick!!!
Regards
Lazzy
p.s. I have also constructed epe reslogger and works just fine! ;-)
Hello everyone
whether it is worth making this detector for larger items and caves at depths of 3 to 5 metara.teren is very rocky and poor
what are your experiences with this detector please your Kajita me for 3 years trying to find a good detector for the High Seas
thanks everyone
Leave a comment: