Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epe pic magnetometer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leto
    replied
    There are two extra pages updating original article.. see attachement
    This logger has 5V inputs with 10bit resolution.. but gradiometer DAC has 0 to max 2.5V output swing.. so hooking logger directly to AD557 you'll lose half of the 1024 levels (10bit resolution) . But no worry, you can constuct simple voltage folower circuit to adjust output dc voltage.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • epitopios
    replied
    3o - or , is there any other gradiometer suitable for this data logger
    epitopios

    Leave a comment:


  • epitopios
    replied
    data logger HELP

    hi Leto , first of all , I thank you for your reply to my problem

    1o - Yes , this is the pcb I received but with different instructions inside ,
    which means different electronic plane,do you have the correct (manual and instructions) ?
    2o - Also you write that is not very suitable for logging carl's gradiometer,
    is there any other datalogger souitable for this gradiometer?

    epitopios

    Leave a comment:


  • Leto
    replied
    Hi

    Have this one.. works OK but not very suitable for logging carl's gradiometer.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • epitopios
    replied
    data logger HELP

    Hi all guru here , please any help

    I made the magnetometer – gradiometer from Fat Quarters Software & Electronics
    Email:http://www.fatquarterssoftware.com/pricelist.aspx

    I order the two sensors from Speake & Co Llanfapley,
    6, Firs Road, Llanfapley,
    Abergavenny, Monmouthshire NP7 8SL.
    Tel/Fax: 01600 780150
    Email: [email protected]

    And today I received the Data logger kit 877 from Magenta Electronics Ltd
    135 Hunter Street
    Burton-on-Trent
    Staffordshire
    DE14 2ST
    United Kingdom
    + 44 (0)1283 565435
    + 44 (0)1283 546932
    Email : [email protected]

    Gradiometer and two sensors worked just fine , but today as i received the Pcb for data logger it was completely different with the Pcb in the manual pages (probably an older model) .
    Is there anybody , who have datalogger kit 877 with the correct instructions of the pcb
    My email : [email protected]
    epitopios

    Leave a comment:


  • serhatsehri
    replied
    epe pic magnetometer

    Hi Leto.
    May i have a full files copy of EPE magnetometer?
    In advance, many thanks.
    My emails: [email protected]
    Regards
    serhatsehri

    Leave a comment:


  • Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Hello,

    You might want to take a look at Carl Moreland's construction article. It is located under magnetometer projects on the Geotech main page.



    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • tiktak
    replied
    Hi,

    Hi,
    Ivconic.
    can you tell me is this the FGM3 sensor that you use:

    ?
    Also if anyone have build this one please share your experiance here.
    I wanna try buil one looks like very perspective project.
    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Geo
    replied
    Hi Ivica.
    How are you ??? How is Bane??? Ohhh very nice guy.
    I want to make the magnetometer. Do you know if it there is in Kit. It is big problem for me to find all the components from local shop"s", so i prefer the Kit.
    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Thanks Carl.
    As my own first gradio/mag handmade, i am very satisfied with what i got with epe. Very satisfied.
    But as you said Carl; things can always be much better... i agree.
    What i really miss here at epe is sound related signal indication. So i think some of your previous ideas could be adopted and adapted for epe.
    I will perform some experiments in this matter.
    Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Hi Ivconic,

    I'm sorry to say that I have no time to pursue the fluxgate design any further. My first design was pretty crude and even though it worked, sensitivity was not the best it could be. I'm sure the FGM sensor design can be improved, especially if using the FB coil.

    I have also wanted to try out the newer magnetoresistive sensors. They are supposed to be pretty good. But I suspect neither fluxgate nor magnetoresistors will ever be as good as a good proton mag.

    - Carl

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Good! That just justify previous claims of a friend i mentioned in last post.
    Right now i am doing few things on enclosure and pipe with sensors to improve flexibillity and stabillity in handling. Also i am improving "cosmetics" on it. This will be really nice device after all. Good to have it in "arsenal", along with other devices.
    Next step would be some experiments arround FB output...
    If gain some good results i will post here.
    Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • Willy Bayot
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    BTW... what "depths" we should expect with this? I see here many mag projects, many details...yet i dont see any descent field reports?
    It would be nice to see some reports also. I decided to make this, cose several months ago i got information that one of our friends from here succesfully located water pipe (30cm diamm) at almost 5 meters depth, with it! Wow! Is it possiblle? I dont want to tell his name here, but so far he turned as very descent and serious man, so i am more like to beleive and respect his words. Personally i dont think he is making up stories.
    That was the main reason i made this.
    Any more informations? Any more experiences?
    C'mon people! This is sweet&easy project and worth of making.
    Hi Ivconic,
    It is not a problem for any decent magnetometer to detect a pipe of 30cm 5 meter deep. On our archaeological field, we have such a water pipe going aside of it and it disturbs our readings when closing up more than 10 meters.
    Thus, you should get gradients of several ten's of nT when going over that type of pipe.
    Willy

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Carl:
    "...
    The biggest problem with any fluxgate design is aligning the sensors. The FGM-3's are already difficult, so the 3H sensors will be extremely difficult.

    The FGM-3 sensors have a built-in feedback coil that is unused in my design. The next step I had wanted to take is to make use of the feedback coil in balancing the sensors. This could be done in a one-time cal, or on a continuous basis to make a sort-of motion magnetometer. Unfortunately, I have no time to pursue this. But I think it would be a better strategy than trying to use the 3H sensors.

    - Carl..."



    I just listed threads here and spotted this post. This is true and very interesting.

    Reffering epe; i respected alignment procedure suggested in epe project and achieved pretty descent alignment, yet not perfect - of course.
    Author suggested approx alignment in text, cose in most of the use it will do the job just fine. But now, when mag is made and workable, i want to refine its work more.
    So i was also wandering how to use FB outputs, and how to make some sort of external control .
    Pitty Carl is not focused on this anymore.
    Observing FGM-3 behavior i got some conclusions.
    Inside that sensor pipe there must be some oscillator with "sensitive" coils which has variable inductances dependable on em field fluctuations. Not a news. ApBerg already pointed on this. Jpopelish posted some xray shots already also. Certain schematic was posted also.
    But comparing that posted material with what i experienced with sensors here at my workshop, "in vivo", i found out that something is still missing!?
    Easiest job would be to smash sensor and see what is really inside. Right now i cant do that, i am out of sensors.....
    FB output can be used for "electronic" alignment. How? I guess adding some capacitance or inductance in parallel with it would affect its origin inductance in some range. Yet it is not the method i would do.
    I would like to see other ideas...

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    BTW... what "depths" we should expect with this? I see here many mag projects, many details...yet i dont see any descent field reports?
    It would be nice to see some reports also. I decided to make this, cose several months ago i got information that one of our friends from here succesfully located water pipe (30cm diamm) at almost 5 meters depth, with it! Wow! Is it possiblle? I dont want to tell his name here, but so far he turned as very descent and serious man, so i am more like to beleive and respect his words. Personally i dont think he is making up stories.
    That was the main reason i made this.
    Any more informations? Any more experiences?
    C'mon people! This is sweet&easy project and worth of making.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X