Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

modification ATX

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beav
    replied
    Daverave,
    I do PCB design for other types of products.
    Beav

    Leave a comment:


  • Mechanic
    replied
    Hi Grey,

    Not sure what the purpose of that section of the cct is! It doesn't really make sense to me..

    Cheers Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • greylourie
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanic View Post
    ........
    Here is the timing pulse train...[ATTACH]34716[/ATTACH]

    Cheers Mick
    Really interesting. Must ponder on it. But must say the iron check stands out. Wonder what tp special is used for? And it uses multi period tx ! ? One long and one short, with the short peaking at just under 2.5A.
    Thank you for sharing, Mech !

    Leave a comment:


  • daverave
    replied
    Originally posted by Beav View Post
    I was wondering the same thing daverave. I have been doing PCB design for 19 years and I can tell you there really is TONS of room remaining on the ATX board design, compared to the tight designs I'm used to doing. I have to meet strict EMC and EMI compliance
    but there are techniques you learn over the years that make you better each design you do.
    Beav
    are you a metal detector pcb designer or another type of product ????

    Leave a comment:


  • Mechanic
    replied
    Originally posted by daverave View Post
    why do garrett use such large pcb's in their pulse machines and spaced out components...maybe less cross talk between tracks and components ????
    Hi Dave and Beav, who knows why they are so large, perhaps they use auto-placement and autorouter!

    Longer traces will have more potential for cross-talk and interference. The ATX board could be routed to 25% of its current size IMO.
    One board I am currently working on is 60mmx75mm and has almost as many components and some room to spare!

    Here is the timing pulse train...Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing pulse train.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	344334

    Cheers Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • Mechanic
    replied
    Originally posted by WM6 View Post
    Probably this way:


    Hi Wm6,

    Could be something along those lines, however both sides of the tx coil need to be switched to the rx inputs while no tx is happening.

    Leave a comment:


  • Beav
    replied
    I was wondering the same thing daverave. I have been doing PCB design for 19 years and I can tell you there really is TONS of room remaining on the ATX board design, compared to the tight designs I'm used to doing. I have to meet strict EMC and EMI compliance
    but there are techniques you learn over the years that make you better each design you do.
    Beav

    Leave a comment:


  • daverave
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanic View Post
    No unfortunately I have no values for the smd caps as I didn't want to remove them.

    Taktyk, Here you go!
    [ATTACH]34701[/ATTACH]
    Modify and tinker at your own risk. If you blow it up, don't come to me

    Cheers Mick
    why do garrett use such large pcb's in their pulse machines and spaced out components...maybe less cross talk between tracks and components ????

    Leave a comment:


  • greylourie
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanic View Post
    Hi Grey,

    ... Nothing like swinging a 56k modem!!! And I could get nowhere near the sensitivity or depth claimed by others.

    Cheers Mick
    Trying to recall the sounds of dialing up AOL, your description brings a smile.

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanic View Post

    It beats me how they adapt a mono coil to it.
    Probably this way:

    Leave a comment:


  • Mechanic
    replied
    Hi Grey,

    Thought it might be interesting for others to know what is in the front end, especially when fiddling with coils. Looking at the input protection(or lack of) I would say that the RX coil needs to be carefully nulled, and from memory it was nulled quite well. It beats me how they adapt a mono coil to it. I tried a ML type mono and put in a 500r resistor on either side(500r to rx input, 500r to Agnd) with some back to back diodes, but it was as deaf as a door post. I tested out a Garret mono but could not figure out how they configured the rx connection as it is done within the coil. Also there is no gnd on the tx side, both tx lines are active.
    After field testing it though, my interest in the machine was very quickly lost... Nothing like swinging a 56k modem!!! And I could get nowhere near the sensitivity or depth claimed by others.

    Cheers Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • greylourie
    replied
    Mechanic,

    Thanks for posting. Its interesting to see the circuit of the preamp. Low value R input used there! wam posted some photos of the infinium which show same U3G diodes and a large poly(?) capacitor allied with tx circuit as seen in the atx image. (http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...275#post119275)

    Leave a comment:


  • Mechanic
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Do you know the value of the capacitor in the feedback loop of the preamp?
    No unfortunately I have no values for the smd caps as I didn't want to remove them.

    Taktyk, Here you go!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Atx Sections.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	344322
    Modify and tinker at your own risk. If you blow it up, don't come to me

    Cheers Mick

    Leave a comment:


  • Taktyk
    replied
    Mechanik,

    You can photo pcb parts preamp and tx?

    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Mechanic View Post
    Ooops, the preamp ic is missing from the last file.
    Please see the updated pic.. [ATTACH]34699[/ATTACH]

    Cheers Mick
    Do you know the value of the capacitor in the feedback loop of the preamp?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X