Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UK Detectorist
    replied
    Hello, thankyou for that, while I read all the info I can on the Vallon VMH 3CS I have no technical ability to do any electronic work or know what the parts are called, I can manage with the DD batteries, but it's the headphone supplied are no good due to hearing loss therefore would there be anyone on this forum could make the adapter like on the Valon web site ??????so I can use my normal detecting headphones which have a volume switch, I would be happy to pay costs, thankyou

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    I would strongly advice you to read ALL 79 pages of this thread...
    The most interesting information is provided by Eric Foster who initiated the thread.
    To save you some time, here are some topic numbers and links that were useful for myself when I did the battery and audio mods:

    Headphones:
    #165, #333, #426, #450, #458, #460, #524, #543, #537,

    Audio transformer:
    #672, #707, #709, #769, #771,

    This is the battery mod I did with 2 LiIon cells in parallel = 3.7V


    My audio schematic:
    https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23169-Vallon-VMH3CS-Mine-Detector&p=261240#post261240

    Leave a comment:


  • UK Detectorist
    replied
    Hello, I have just joined this forum more so to learn about the technical side of detectors, I live in the UK near the city of Oxford and started detecting in the 1980s , I have just acquired a Valon VMH 3CS, these detectors seem to be popular with beach detecting like the C scope 4Pi , am hoping members on here can give me tips on setting up, I read you can use AA Alkaline batteries ? instead of DDs, and Vallon have an adapter to use normal headphone but won't sell to UK so is there an alternative or can one be made and what parts required, thankyou

    Leave a comment:


  • RedBG
    replied
    thank you, mine has the confidence beep so older software and no auto-search.

    nevermind!! thanks for the help!

    Ed

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    Your detector might have a older version of software and may not auto search.
    mine is about 5 seconds before auto starts.
    I think if you have the confidence beep it means you have the old software.
    Mine takes about 5 seconds as well until the audio visual alert begins which signals the start of the auto search. My Gizmo is a 2010 version.

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Your detector might have a older version of software and may not auto search.
    mine is about 5 seconds before auto starts.
    I think if you have the confidence beep it means you have the old software.

    Leave a comment:


  • RedBG
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    One thing you could try regarding the EMI on one of the Vallons is to check the channel settings to see if they are different.
    On the one that is less affected by EMI set the mode selector to the speaker symbol. Press C and keep it pressed. After 3 seconds you get a short beep, but keep pressing C. Two LEDs should eventually light, 12 being one of them, but ignore this one. Note the LED number of the other one.

    Switch off the first detector and go to the noisy one and repeat the process. If it settles at a different LED number, press either the + or - button so that the channel LED number is the same as te first detector. Switch back to the normal mode and see if the EMI is any better. Any channel change is stored on switch off, so on further use it will be the last change that you are working with.

    If there is no improvement in EMI, then there could be a difference in the firmware settings of the two.

    EMI is a problem for me in, or near, my workshop. No change in channel setting will cure it and I have not yet found out what the source is. Whatever causes it, goes off after 5.30pm and then the Vallons are quiet. It must come from an adjacent shop; maybe my wife's. I can hear it quite loudly on a medium wave radio and during the day it blots out all but the strongest stations. I use a 14in search coil as a loop antenna, so it is definitely the EM noise that plays havoc with the detectors. I'll have to find a portable radio with ferrite antenna and do some direction finding.

    Eric.
    hi just signed up to the forum, I have had one of these for a few years now and have used it for locating relics at archaeological dig sites on and off.

    indidnt know about the EMI adjustment. I have a 2010 model but when I get to enter the auto channel adjustment using the instructions in the manual it doesn?t do anything when holding down the + and - buttons.

    I can do manual channel search fine, but not auto.

    how long do I have to hold the + and - buttons down for?

    thanks in advance

    ed

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    I agree its nice to hunt a silent PI that still has good performance, it is a nice change.

    Have you played with the double response on one side of the coil as in the advanced portion of the manual ?
    I have not played with that feature. I really have only used it for about an hour at the beach and I was distracted due to the cold temps as well as attempting to film.

    I pulled my Piezo headphone out just now and took a closer look at it, this time with my glasses on and it has a part number on the headphone jack 1029 AT PT06A10-6PJ
    The full catalog is here:

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Originally posted by surfdetector View Post
    I took the Gizmo for a short spin at the beach on Sunday, I was duly impressed by how steady it was, in the water and out. It is a very sensitive machine, picking out tiny bits of metal. Unfortunately none of those bits were of the gold variety.
    I agree its nice to hunt a silent PI that still has good performance, it is a nice change.

    Have you played with the double response on one side of the coil as in the advanced portion of the manual ?

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Originally posted by F117 View Post
    Thank you very much, F117.
    Its a good price as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    This is an audio/data connector that fits the VMH3CS:

    https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/MS3116F10-6P-PT06E10-6P-SR-KPT06F-851-06EC-EQUIV-MSW06E10-6P-SR/133481719493


    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    Thanks surf
    that brings the question are the original vallon headphone connectors water proof and if not what or is there a cap that covers the connector for submersion. Can our shadow member answer that why a pm why not share .
    Looking more like I just hard wire but what I really want is a garret at pro socket as I all ready have the headphones for the MPP.
    I took the Gizmo for a short spin at the beach on Sunday, I was duly impressed by how steady it was, in the water and out. It is a very sensitive machine, picking out tiny bits of metal. Unfortunately none of those bits were of the gold variety.

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Thanks surf
    that brings the question are the original vallon headphone connectors water proof and if not what or is there a cap that covers the connector for submersion. Can our shadow member answer that why a pm why not share .
    Looking more like I just hard wire but what I really want is a garret at pro socket as I all ready have the headphones for the MPP.

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    Im looking as well I didn't get the stock headphones with mine.
    I think its some where in this thread but have not found it yet going back through looking.
    I did add a extra cable gland for my headphones in case I cannot get a connector.
    Its not too hard to hardwire a set and just use a jumper on the plug, may be the way I have to go.
    One of the members just PMed me this info:
    " the Part # that fits my VMH3CS (not waterproof). PT06E 10-6P (SR) / MS3116F 10-6P - 6Pin"

    ​I would imagine that the Gizmo will have the same part. I need to check the spec sheet on these numbers.

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Im looking as well I didn't get the stock headphones with mine.
    I think its some where in this thread but have not found it yet going back through looking.
    I did add a extra cable gland for my headphones in case I cannot get a connector.
    Its not too hard to hardwire a set and just use a jumper on the plug, may be the way I have to go.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X