Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    When I had my VALLONS VMH3CS detectors firmware updated, I asked about useing the firmware for the VMC1 and VALLON would not allow it as those detectors are marked to notify they have that firmware. My contact at VALLON assured me that this machines ferrous non ferrous recognition is for larger than coin and ring size objects which is what I am interested in. I also have a friend who has one of these detectors and we will be testing it on the beach in the near future. They are regurely sold on line here in the US. $400 to $1500 USD depending on detector only or all the accessories and pelican case.
    Did you mean the VMC1 or the VMXC-1?....Different detectors. I have a VMC1 too ....Got that one cheap for beach use.
    The VMXC-1 is basically a VMH3CS but with discrimination capabilities.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    When I had my VALLONS VMH3CS detectors firmware updated, I asked about useing the firmware for the VMC1 and VALLON would not allow it as those detectors are marked to notify they have that firmware. My contact at VALLON assured me that this machines ferrous non ferrous recognition is for larger than coin and ring size objects which is what I am interested in. I also have a friend who has one of these detectors and we will be testing it on the beach in the near future. They are regurely sold on line here in the US. $400 to $1500 USD depending on detector only or all the accessories and pelican case.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Kingswood: Just an update on my friends useing the Gold Monster. They love it. Say it is light, deep and found enough gold in two months to pay for itself. Works in their heavily mineralized soil without problems. I use my VALLONS on saltwater beaches in and out of the water with great success, but I think it is no match for your soil conditions. I own a SDC 2300 and it stays home most of the time as it is very heavy. I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay for the GPZ 7000 so the Gold Monster would be my choice. Good luck to you but I wonder how much gold you have traveled over with all your time and effort useing the VALLON.

    Again I wish you much success as you deserve it with all your time and effort
    Thomas

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    A couple of hours out this morning.
    First tried the Vallon with the 30cm coil. Good GB. Tried to reduce sensitivity, but was getting hot rock after hot rock
    Then tried the SDC2300, easier to use but still the occasional hot rock, even with the sensitivity down.
    Nasty nasty area Mix of ironstone, magnetite, shale looking stuff and quartz......Not heavily detected

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil S View Post
    Sorry about the duplicates, my browser was playing up
    It wasn't your browser that was the problem. Your post was not visible because it was in moderation awaiting approval by Admin.

    Leave a comment:


  • Phil S
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Since you are a new member, your first post went into moderation because it had an attachment. I have now approved your post, and removed the other two duplicates.
    Sorry about the duplicates, my browser was playing up

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil S View Post
    Hi, first post I was hoping I could attach the full Vallon VMH3CS user manual - sorry if it's already been posted, I'm only on page 10 - anyway it seems / I guess I need to post more to get the attach file facility, maybe, anyway, I uploaded it (the manual) to a free file host,, I hope it's OK to post such links Take care all,, and enjoy the very useful manual



    I hope the link works for you,, it seems too for me
    Since you are a new member, your first post went into moderation because it had an attachment. I have now approved your post, and removed the other two duplicates.

    Leave a comment:


  • Phil S
    replied
    Hi, first post I was hoping I could attach the full Vallon VMH3CS user manual - sorry if it's already been posted, I'm only on page 10 - anyway it seems / I guess I need to post more to get the attach file facility, maybe, anyway, I uploaded it (the manual) to a free file host,, I hope it's OK to post such links Take care all,, and enjoy the very useful manual



    I hope the link works for you,, it seems too for me

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    Vallon: "The VMXC1 has a second mode with additional metal discrimination. The digital signal processing allows the detector to analyze the received signals and to identify the metallic nature of the object from which the signal was picked up. In this mode, the VMXC1 distinguishes between the alarms from ferrous objects or nonferrous objects"....
    I shall wait until they arrive on ebay !!!
    I believe that the VMH3CS can be re-programmed to do this but I don't think Vallon will allow it. I doubt the VMXC1 will be on ebay any time soon.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    I use an IB coil with my metal detector. Rx 2(8inch round coil, figure eight), Tx oval surrounding Rx. Added an extra integrator sampling during Tx. Look at output with a digital panel meter(non motion). Works good ferrous-nonferrous on the bench. When detecting the ground signal causes a problem . My son took it to try on the Lake Michigan beach(no ground signal?) but he has been busy and hasn't tried it on the beach yet. Maybe you will have better luck with your method. I still try to find a way to make it work.
    Hi Green,

    Yes that basic method does work well on the workbench, but on mineralised ground it is no good. I never got around to trying this, but it needs to be inhibited when the detector is in GB mode. That is, until you get a signal say 3 or more LEDs lit, then the identifier circuit is enabled. It also needs to be a motion type circuit to eliminate any drift in the IB setup. Those are the basic requirements that I imagine it will need, but I expect there will be more.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Vallon: "The VMXC1 has a second mode with additional metal discrimination. The digital signal processing allows the detector to analyze the received signals and to identify the metallic nature of the object from which the signal was picked up. In this mode, the VMXC1 distinguishes between the alarms from ferrous objects or nonferrous objects"....
    I shall wait until they arrive on ebay !!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Yes, I tried it with a ferrite rod wound to give 1.5mH and positioned it in the crossbar with a scope across the coil ends; also a damping resistor is needed. By sliding the rod you can achieve a balance so that the TX waveforms disappear and you can observe differences with ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Potting the rod in the slot should be stable as the shell is very rigid. What is needed next is a preamp and sampling arrangement triggered somehow from the TX. What I visualise is a small box that clips to the shaft with some sort of visual indicator. Long way to go yet, but as you say, an interesting topic. Having sown the seed, pehaps others can try the idea as well.

    Eric.
    Yes, certainly a very interesting topic Eric, great idea. I might have a shot at doing this myself, thanks for sharing.

    Brian

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Yes, I tried it with a ferrite rod wound to give 1.5mH and positioned it in the crossbar with a scope across the coil ends; also a damping resistor is needed. By sliding the rod you can achieve a balance so that the TX waveforms disappear and you can observe differences with ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Potting the rod in the slot should be stable as the shell is very rigid. What is needed next is a preamp and sampling arrangement triggered somehow from the TX. What I visualise is a small box that clips to the shaft with some sort of visual indicator. Long way to go yet, but as you say, an interesting topic. Having sown the seed, pehaps others can try the idea as well.

    Eric.
    I use an IB coil with my metal detector. Rx 2(8inch round coil, figure eight), Tx oval surrounding Rx. Added an extra integrator sampling during Tx. Look at output with a digital panel meter(non motion). Works good ferrous-nonferrous on the bench. When detecting the ground signal causes a problem . My son took it to try on the Lake Michigan beach(no ground signal?) but he has been busy and hasn't tried it on the beach yet. Maybe you will have better luck with your method. I still try to find a way to make it work.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    The 30cm coil should be better. The larger coil will average out the ground signal under the coil somewhat better. When I get time I am going to try and design an adapter for the Vallon to identify hot rocks and, hopefully, ferrous items. The crossbar in the stock coil is just right to house a horizontal ferrite rod with a winding. This configuration will form an induction balance arrangement which can be used to differentiate resistive and reactive components of the signal and hence give a measure of identification.

    Eric.
    Thanks Eric, I will aim to spend a bit more time with the larger coil next time then. How would dropping the sensitivity back a bit go with hot rocks??
    Interesting about the rod.

    Leave a comment:


  • Altair
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Yes, I tried it with a ferrite rod wound to give 1.5mH and positioned it in the crossbar with a scope across the coil ends; also a damping resistor is needed. By sliding the rod you can achieve a balance so that the TX waveforms disappear and you can observe differences with ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Potting the rod in the slot should be stable as the shell is very rigid. What is needed next is a preamp and sampling arrangement triggered somehow from the TX. What I visualise is a small box that clips to the shaft with some sort of visual indicator. Long way to go yet, but as you say, an interesting topic. Having sown the seed, pehaps others can try the idea as well.

    Eric.
    Eric,
    thank you very much for sharing your idea!
    For sure I will think about it next days; I like it!
    I will try to do some measure with a scope ASAP.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X