Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kingswood
    replied
    Number one Vallon has arrived
    First feel is that its not as heavy as I expected....Lighter than my old Garrett Deepseeker VLF/TR
    Looks very well made. The coil mechanism is a bit tight so will WD-40 that to see if it loosens up a tad.
    Hoping to get it out this weekend to run it over some highly mineralized soil and rocks to see how it handles....
    I will report back.
    PS: Couldnt resist the current ebay price, so have another one coming

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Awesome thanks ...I think I am starting to understand a bit more!

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    I am trying to figure out: what is the Vallon's pulse rate (pulses per second) and what is the sample delay time?....
    This may have been stated earlier, but my lack of technical knowledge is letting me down!!....
    In post #7, Eric stated that the time between positive and negative pulses was 530us. That would be 1886.7 PPS. The sample delay is unknown as it is sampled via ADC sampling, which leaves no telltale.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Righto...I have read the thread...again....all 21 pages. You guys are way to smart for me !!
    I am trying to figure out: what is the Vallon's pulse rate (pulses per second), what is the sample delay time and what is the pulse width?....(someone has been googling how PI detectors work !)
    This may have been stated earlier, but my lack of technical knowledge is letting me down!!....

    Leave a comment:


  • Rivers rat
    replied
    I can't wait to read a full report on a Beach ,regarding the headphones can you use normal headphones or a mod need to be done????

    RR

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Do you have the full operation manual that gives the full GB set-up rather than the 'quick' compensation by just pressing the C button? I will be very interested to see how it performs in Western Australia where I am told that the mineralisation is not as strong as in the Victoria goldfields that I am familiar with. I have some Victorian ironstone here that it appears to tune out quite nicely, but a fist size lump and a tray of the stuff is rather different to searching on the ground surface.

    Eric.
    Hi Mr. Foster. I must thank you for all the very useful info you have given about the Vallon...It has reassured me that I may not be as mad as some of my friends think I am
    Yes, I have the full manual......Havent got the detector yet via ebay UK!!
    The area that I am in (mid west region of WA) is mineralized, but I can still use my old Garrett VLF so the Vallon should deal with it.
    I will report back once I get a chance to try it out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    A few on ebay for sale ATM....Cheaper than the one I have already bought .....Might have to grab another one!
    I have done a bit more reading about these detectors and I am (almost!) convinced that they will do well in the goldfields....Should have the ability to detect small gold, but also the depth to find nuggets a fair way down. The lack of discrimination may be an issue, but in a reasonably clean area this may not be as much of an issue. I am happy to dig every target....It was the depth of detection I was mainly interested in. The reports say that they are ideal for laterite containing areas, which is my area
    I have a friend with a couple of minelab detectors and I am hoping to do some "in the field" comparisons with him.
    Do you have the full operation manual that gives the full GB set-up rather than the 'quick' compensation by just pressing the C button? I will be very interested to see how it performs in Western Australia where I am told that the mineralisation is not as strong as in the Victoria goldfields that I am familiar with. I have some Victorian ironstone here that it appears to tune out quite nicely, but a fist size lump and a tray of the stuff is rather different to searching on the ground surface.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    A few on ebay for sale ATM....Cheaper than the one I have already bought .....Might have to grab another one!
    I have done a bit more reading about these detectors and I am (almost!) convinced that they will do well in the goldfields....Should have the ability to detect small gold, but also the depth to find nuggets a fair way down. The lack of discrimination may be an issue, but in a reasonably clean area this may not be as much of an issue. I am happy to dig every target....It was the depth of detection I was mainly interested in. The reports say that they are ideal for laterite containing areas, which is my area
    I have a friend with a couple of minelab detectors and I am hoping to do some "in the field" comparisons with him.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rivers rat
    replied
    Hi Eric yes i am there are a few options:

    I use mainly f75DST with the small elliptical coil,but i also got a modded Silver sabre 2 with a 4" coil,a Vista gold with a 5.5"coil,a modded lobo with a 5.75 " ,a Deus,a GoldBug with a Nel 5" coil lots of mudlarks use the Laser SCOUT(Compadre) with a 4".The tesoro 4"is the best regarding target separation,put if you hit a cleaner patch with less iron you won't have depth.If he want to contact me i can give him my details by PM

    Cheers


    RR

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    A Vallon VMH3CS should be in my grubby little hands by Feb 9!
    Even if your hands are clean to start with, they will be coated with Afghan dust on first handling. It is like Talcum powder and can't have done any good for the lungs of the deminer.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Hi Rivers Rat,

    Seeing your location is London, are you a Thames river rat? One of my sons wants to do a bit of mud larking and would like to know which detector is best for this. As bits of iron are likely to be a problem in river mud, what detector would you recommend?

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rivers rat
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    A Vallon VMH3CS should be in my grubby little hands by Feb 9!
    A Vallon a day keep the Surgeon away !!!!!


    RR

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    A Vallon VMH3CS should be in my grubby little hands by Feb 9!

    Leave a comment:


  • Teleno
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    I believe that, after the discovery of the relevant Vallon patent, it became clear that they're actively switching in the damping resistor later in the decay curve, thus allowing the detector to provide early sampling. This would explain why the VMH3 is able to detect low conductivity items while using a relatively high inductance coil.
    The late damping not only allows for early sampling, it also provides for a half-cosine I(t) at the Tx coil, which has a higher dI/dt at lower levels than the usual exponential damping. dI/dt enhances the short-time constant response.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    For what its worth, in the operational manual they state "The oval search head is recommended for the detection of metal mines and plastic mines with minimum metal content as well as other small metal parts". There is also reference to "plastic mines with minimal metal content" in the equipment list report for the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining.
    The "systematic test and evaultaion of metal detectors (STEMD) report" says "An anomalously high sensitivity value of 250% above reference to maximum sensitivity for the VMH3 in-soil and in-air stands out. The increase of sensitivity for all of the targets for the VMH3 is a phenomenon we cannot explain."....I have read the report but i dont have the technically brains to figure out what its actually saying sorry
    I believe that, after the discovery of the relevant Vallon patent, it became clear that they're actively switching in the damping resistor later in the decay curve, thus allowing the detector to provide early sampling. This would explain why the VMH3 is able to detect low conductivity items while using a relatively high inductance coil.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X