Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Very good thanks....Probably some type of basalt.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    If any one is a geologist, I have attached a pic of the black rocks...??basalt ??laterite??
    Look here -> http://www.comparerocks.com/en/diffe...rison-34-7-997

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Day 2 report Went to a spot with a lot of ?laterite mixed in with quartz (see pic).
    Vallon ground balances okay, but I still get occasional rocks that give a signal. I am learning what this sounds like however and it is a vastly different signal to the screech the Vallon makes when it hits on something metal. I tried ground balancing directly over one of the bigger lumps of rock...managed to tune that rock out, but every other rock that I swung the Vallon over then went off !!! GB back to the ground and things went well. Had a great screech and dug up another tiny slither of tin from about 6 inches. The Vallon tells you fairly clearly if its metal!! Dug a piece of smashed up bullet lead which gave a loud clear signal from about 10 inches. Things are looking good....Just need to actually wave the coil over a nugget to see if it will actually find it Click image for larger version

Name:	16507291_10154805181736259_356194276_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	347729Click image for larger version

Name:	16522566_10154805181881259_1592486199_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	347730
    If any one is a geologist, I have attached a pic of the black rocks...??basalt ??laterite??

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Great report on your first field test. Hope the success continues in your mineralised ground and you soon find your first nugget with the Vallon.

    As far as headphones go, I don't like the Vallon device with the harness around your head. I am trying to find suitable conventional phones that are not too expensive, but I suspect that only high impedance piezo ones will work. One thing I have tried with the Vallon phone, is to remove it from its harness mounting and wear it under a head sweatband just above the ear. It then acts as a bone conductor phone and you can adjust the position to get a suitable volume. On the ear, I found it too loud.

    Eric.
    Thanks Eric. The ground balancing seems very good. I will keep trying it over different areas and see how it goes. There is a big old dry lake not far from me that is quite salty (and has a lot of gold left still apparently!) so that will be a very good test area.
    I did notice that the Vallon is basically always working with a silent threshold....I wonder if increasing the sensitivity increases the threshold??...Will have to try that! From what I understand, silent is not always the best for gold detecting...

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    To be honest, I had never really given it a thought...until now
    Another note...I quite like the vibration feature.
    The speaker is loud enough when the detector goes off, but a couple of times I struggled to the "working blip" tone every few seconds. Will try the Vallon headphone thing next time.
    Great report on your first field test. Hope the success continues in your mineralised ground and you soon find your first nugget with the Vallon.

    As far as headphones go, I don't like the Vallon device with the harness around your head. I am trying to find suitable conventional phones that are not too expensive, but I suspect that only high impedance piezo ones will work. One thing I have tried with the Vallon phone, is to remove it from its harness mounting and wear it under a head sweatband just above the ear. It then acts as a bone conductor phone and you can adjust the position to get a suitable volume. On the ear, I found it too loud.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teleno
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    [ATTACH]38671[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38669[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38668[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38670[/ATTACH]
    So far the findings match those I have experienced using the MiniPulsePlus with my modifications: MPP with DD coil 580 uH and short delay

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    That reminds me of Eric's username ... "Ferric Toes".
    Ha ha yeah good one !! Will leave the steel caps behind next time!

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    Did discover that all parts of the coil are quite sensitive...if I moved the coil to far back, it was detecting my steel capped boots from about a foot.
    That reminds me of Eric's username ... "Ferric Toes".

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Rivers rat View Post
    Kingwood thanks for the report very useful!!!My question is why wearing steel cap toe boots with a PI even with a VLF thats not really good....But once again well detailed report i really appreciate!


    RR
    To be honest, I had never really given it a thought...until now
    Another note...I quite like the vibration feature.
    The speaker is loud enough when the detector goes off, but a couple of times I struggled to the "working blip" tone every few seconds. Will try the Vallon headphone thing next time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rivers rat
    replied
    Kingwood thanks for the report very useful!!!My question is why wearing steel cap toe boots with a PI even with a VLF thats not really good....But once again well detailed report i really appreciate!


    RR

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	16468888_10154801737421259_258398881_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	347726Click image for larger version

Name:	16507364_10154801777006259_2129601377_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	347724Click image for larger version

Name:	16521532_10154801738396259_929859860_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	347723Click image for larger version

Name:	16522731_10154801777206259_32818018_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	347725
    Last edited by kingswood; 02-04-2017, 03:32 AM. Reason: duplicated the pics!!

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    First test report of the Vallon!....Location: Murchison Gold-fields, West Australia.
    Spent only 2 hours out this morning as it was 35 degrees by 9 am
    First location was a mix of quartz and black rocks (I think these are basalt). The Vallon had no issues ground balancing. A couple of bigger hot rocks gave a hum, but they were either kicked out of the way or the hum stopped if the coil was lifted up a couple of inches. Found a bullet casing down at about 6 inches....it made the Vallon screech like a banshee!
    The second spot was a creek bed, a mix of sandy soil, quartz and black rock. The Vallon again ground balanced beautifully Found a small 1cm very thin piece of old tin at 8 inches that again set the Vallon off. The pin point function worked in helping to find it.
    I have no doubt that if either target found had of been gold, the Vallon would have found it Did discover that all parts of the coil are quite sensitive...if I moved the coil to far back, it was detecting my steel capped boots from about a foot
    Next test will be to bury some small nuggets at various depths and see how she goes....Just have to buy a couple off ebay!!
    Images in next post!
    Last edited by kingswood; 02-04-2017, 04:01 AM. Reason: got the pics to load

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    You have been reading correctly.
    Ha ha...Thank you ...Third time reading is lucky I guess!
    I must admit, I knew next to nothing about how PI detectors actually work....This thread and associated googling has been quite educational!
    From what I can gather, pulse width may influence the depth detection to an extent, but is affected by the sampling delay (??) and the noise reduction....
    I like this comment "Pulse lengths of 50 usec or less will still produce a very decent signal from most of the gold nuggets that are found with a detector."

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    More reading of the thread....Pulse width seems to be 50us (if I have read the technical stuff correctly!)
    You have been reading correctly.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    Righto...I have read the thread...again....all 21 pages. You guys are way to smart for me !!
    I am trying to figure out: what is the Vallon's pulse rate (pulses per second), what is the sample delay time and what is the pulse width?....(someone has been googling how PI detectors work !)
    This may have been stated earlier, but my lack of technical knowledge is letting me down!!....
    More reading of the thread....Pulse width seems to be 50us (if I have read the technical stuff correctly!)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X