Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf Pi Professional Pcb's back in stock - NEW Prices

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bart
    replied
    Finished populating the board!

    The two kits came today in the mail... I just finished populating the 1st board, Surf 1.2 kit... Wasn't getting any sound or anything when I hooked up the battery, however, when the coil leads were touched together, I got a tone! I'm psyched... Seems to be working... Now, next step... Gotta make a coil, and after that, make external pots! Thanks Silverdog!

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by gcause View Post
    Heres a video of me air testing my surf pi

    http://youtu.be/LONTElIYFP8
    Due to the lag/lead between audio and video, you give me a bad impression of the detector.
    Can you upload a video that does not demonstrate such timing errors, or is that lag/lead in the detector itself?
    Regards
    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • Mtlexplr
    replied
    largest coil that can be made for this unit?

    New to the forum. I already own a Garrett SeaHunter XL PI unit. Was wondering how big a coil can be made to work with this Surf PI unit, such as a tow behind for a atv or boat? How would it be built and what modifications would be needed on the pcb?

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe Prime
    replied
    Originally posted by silverdog View Post

    The kit will allow you to adjust delay down as far as you can, it will depend on how fast you coil is as to the actual delay it will support, badly made coils may need more than 20us before a sample can be taken

    Silverdog
    Almost ready....If my original and your kit has the same 100k pot how is the faster delay done? On my machine the delay is minimum at pot minimum which is at just turn on.

    Regards, Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • silverdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Prime View Post
    Hi Silverdog!

    I've read all the posts regarding building the Surf PI kit from your pcb and parts. It has almost convinced me to try one too.

    But before I take the plunge....I have a question.

    I currently own an actual Surf PI...it's called the PI+ and nobody has been able to tell me what the difference from the regular PI is. Anyways...It is real poor at detecting small gold. My very 1st gold ring (found with a cheapie VLF) weighs 1.9 gram. My PI+ absolutely doesn't acknowledge it...even rubbing it against the coil. Bummer!

    On my detector I run the delay at minimum..which rumor has it is about 20 usecs. On your kit..is it adjustable to less than that?

    2nd question: What's the largest size coil you've heard of for this kit? I'd like to wind a 12" or 14" coil.

    Regards, Joe
    Hi Joe

    I'm afraid I dont' know the difference between the surf and the surf+ either, but if Carl sees this I'm sure he will be able to tell you

    There are a few videos within the many surf threads here showing people detecting gold wedding rings, although 1.9gr sounds very light/small ? or maybe your delay is not adjusting low enough ? Do you have an oscilloscope ? there are pictures on here showing how to check/set your delay

    The kit will allow you to adjust delay down as far as you can, it will depend on how fast you coil is as to the actual delay it will support, badly made coils may need more than 20us before a sample can be taken

    Certainly a few 12" coils have been made although as you make a bigger coil you loose sensitivty to small items, so if your mainly aiming for coins/jewellery 8-10" is considered best

    regards

    Silverdog

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe Prime
    replied
    Hi Silverdog!

    I've read all the posts regarding building the Surf PI kit from your pcb and parts. It has almost convinced me to try one too.

    But before I take the plunge....I have a question.

    I currently own an actual Surf PI...it's called the PI+ and nobody has been able to tell me what the difference from the regular PI is. Anyways...It is real poor at detecting small gold. My very 1st gold ring (found with a cheapie VLF) weighs 1.9 gram. My PI+ absolutely doesn't acknowledge it...even rubbing it against the coil. Bummer!

    On my detector I run the delay at minimum..which rumor has it is about 20 usecs. On your kit..is it adjustable to less than that?

    2nd question: What's the largest size coil you've heard of for this kit? I'd like to wind a 12" or 14" coil.

    Regards, Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Comp
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    I'm just curious... Would it be possible to put the electronics in a pvc tube.. Kinda like the picture earlier on this thread. Then pour parafin wax into the tube with the electronics to completely encase and seal up the electronics up from moisture? I'd think you you make a completely submersible detector this way... I realize it might be hard to fix if any components burn up later on... But at the prices for the kit... Might be an interesting experiment.
    Shouldn't need to go to all that bother,.. search the forum for Surf threads,... plenty of guys on here show details of how they have waterproofed their units for beach/shore use,... I'm certain there is a thread showing a waterproof one for scuba diving use on here somewhere as well,......

    Cheers, Have fun, Fred

    Leave a comment:


  • golfnut
    replied
    Just wire.

    dont fit the pots - solder wires to holes where pots should be and extend wire ends to panel mounted pots on case

    s

    Leave a comment:


  • Bart
    replied
    I was wondering about the pots and how to make em moisture proof, what exactly is a flying lead? I did a search of the forums but didn't find anything.

    Leave a comment:


  • golfnut
    replied
    Should be ok.

    You would ave to bring the pots out on flying leads.


    Ideally the unit would be in a conductive enclosure in reduce incoming..

    S

    Leave a comment:


  • Bart
    replied
    Encasing the board in wax??

    I'm just curious... Would it be possible to put the electronics in a pvc tube.. Kinda like the picture earlier on this thread. Then pour parafin wax into the tube with the electronics to completely encase and seal up the electronics up from moisture? I'd think you you make a completely submersible detector this way... I realize it might be hard to fix if any components burn up later on... But at the prices for the kit... Might be an interesting experiment.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bart
    replied
    Just ordered two Surf PI kits.

    This is great that I found this kit thanks to Geotech and SilverDog... Funny thing is that I was thinking of buying a new Whites PI Pro... But currently it's way outta my budget. This seems just as good... And, the price is amazing! Water is still too cold to here anyway, so gives me some time to build the kits, and piece everything else together!!

    I'm not an expert with electronics, but I've build a few guitar stomp boxes from schematics.. So, I'm hoping this project will be no problem!

    Leave a comment:


  • gcause
    replied
    Finally finished my home built metal detector

    Heres the details and the photos:


    Cant wait to go try it out on the goldfields just waiting for the rain and flooding to stop.

    Big thanks to Silverdog / ApBerg for the kits and 6666 and other forum members for all their help in getting it going.

    Leave a comment:


  • gcause
    replied
    Heres a video of me air testing my surf pi

    Leave a comment:


  • gcause
    replied
    Originally posted by WesP View Post
    Quote"
    "As well as the following file for adding a pin pointer mode (note the resistor R numbers don't match the Surf PI Schematic, but its easy to locate the place to add it): Attached Images End Quote"

    Has anyone done either of these mod and had them work? I was unable to get either one to make any difference in the operation of the detector. I believe I put it in the right spot????
    The diagram above seems to show two pinpointer options.

    Could someone show me where on the board to make the pinpointer mod, I would like to do a cable pinpointer like Misko has done.

    Misko how did you add the meter to the circuit?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X