Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surf PI Pro

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I like SMT and am thinking about packaging. I'd like a SMT PI board that might fit in
    a smaller PVC tube, say 1" ID. Then you can put the board and batteries in the handle...

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    SMD is hard to solder. if you want I'l put HH SMD board free, no charge, with Delta Pulse board if you order.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Bob i will buy a through-hole pcb from you but not SMD

    Leave a comment:


  • bob808
    replied
    I will try it

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I like that tiny board but all SMT caps would even be better!

    Leave a comment:


  • bob808
    replied
    Does he have a SMD for Surf PI? I could only find the Hammerhead. And only through-hole. On his site.
    I did something like this, it's really small like 5cmx5cm and would be real cheap, like 1.5$ for one board if 10 are ordered. With shipping included
    I should clean it up some more but should come out ok. Need to analyze de spice model to see if parts meet the requirements in smd package (like power req).
    I also adjusted the electrolytic capacitors footprint based on their value from the common ones found all over the place. Also I removed the pots and only fitted holes for them. It's not going to be pretty with all the wires coming out of the board but it's small and should work .
    If Carl has something this small then I might drop the SMD project and maybe do the 10x5 version for the through hole.
    I also added a photo of a 5x5cm board next to a zippo as a size reference


    Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	341728
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb small location.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	341729
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb small.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	341730

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    do not waste a time. buy SMD board from Carl on HAMMERHEAD PI and do what you plan. you can call your project the surf pi or pirate pi or marauder pi or snoopy gold pi.

    Leave a comment:


  • bob808
    replied
    Did someone model this schematic in Spice? I think I saw it at some point but I'm not sure.
    I'd like to see if I could replace some of the passives with 1206 smd packages. They are easy to solder even for beginners and would clear up the board some more. The plan would be to still use sockets for repair ability in the future. Usually at build up passives go bad harder then IC's.
    And SMD caps would better help with decoupling noise from chips. I can put them very close to the chip pins.

    Leave a comment:


  • Silver Dollar
    replied
    I'd be interested in a couple of those boards. A few of the projects I have built
    work fine but need huge cases so I'mm looking for smaller stuff...

    Leave a comment:


  • bob808
    replied
    Oh, thank you for the guidance!
    I took the liberty to tinker with the Surf PCB. I've made it smaller, so it fits 10cmX5cm. That way we could do a double sided batch at Fusion PCB or similar. I've done some math and it seems that for minimum of 5 boards the cost is 4$ per board, but if we managed to get 10 boards, it goes down to 2.4$ per board. That's with shipping
    The trouble is that someone on the forum, maybe an authoritative figure would be recommended to do the stuff. No gain for anybody, just pcb+shipping cost. Well, maybe group buy admin keeps a free pcb if he bothers with the whole deal And then there would be the cost of shipping from admin to users.
    If there's interest and you'd like me to fiddle some more with the PCB do tell me.
    Meanwhile I will read the material you recommended.
    Also the pcb features mounting holes, and is double sided with ground plane on top.
    If you'd like to make some suggestions regarding the layout please do. Even if we don't make a group buy I may get some boards at some point. For 20$ I would be happy to have some pcbs made by me
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb.png
Views:	1
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	341722
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dm comp.png
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	341723
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dm.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	341724

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by bob808 View Post
    Hi guys.
    I want to build my first detector
    So far I like this project as it's well documented. But I have a few issues to sort out.
    First, I'm not sure if this would be recommended for me. I have no beaches near and as far as I know the Surf is recommended for exactly that.
    I won't have much time doing prospecting, I want to just have the option to go out and have some fun with a detector.
    I'd build one that's good and is very well documented. I've done some electronic projects and have proper tools for hobby/diy.
    So, what would you recommend? I saw another project but didn't have the time to read as much as I did on Surf. It's Serbian "Most Wanted".
    Some options for you:

    1) Tesoro Golden Sabre Lite (TGSL) -> http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...mplete-Details
    2) MiniPulse Plus -> http://www.geotech1.com/forums/forum...Minipulse-Plus
    3) Silverdog website for detector kits -> www.silverdog.co.uk
    4) "Inside the METAL DETECTOR" -> Inside the METAL DETECTOR - Published September 2012

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    surf is the best machine to get your first experience and to grasp the principles of how PI working.
    do it. but real machine you need is tesoro clone because tesoro has a discrimination. surf is working on all metal mode,
    it is yes best for only beach and underwater, that was projecting the surf for primary.
    do not do most wanted because much noise from serbians, no real deal. do TGSL or white classic at second your step.

    Leave a comment:


  • bob808
    replied
    Hi guys.
    I want to build my first detector
    So far I like this project as it's well documented. But I have a few issues to sort out.
    First, I'm not sure if this would be recommended for me. I have no beaches near and as far as I know the Surf is recommended for exactly that.
    I won't have much time doing prospecting, I want to just have the option to go out and have some fun with a detector.
    I'd build one that's good and is very well documented. I've done some electronic projects and have proper tools for hobby/diy.
    So, what would you recommend? I saw another project but didn't have the time to read as much as I did on Surf. It's Serbian "Most Wanted".

    Leave a comment:


  • nando.22
    replied
    surf pi pro james owen test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITYwS5KxwE

    Leave a comment:


  • CalebG
    replied
    I must confess I did not look closely enough at the schematic. I did not see the 12v tied directly to the mosfet. It makes much more sense now, I didn't want to waste battery juice on the regulator if it was unnecessary, I did use the LDO version, so I think it only requires +1.25v over regulated (6.25v total) I will look to see if it would be feasible to feed the regulator off two batteries (7.4v approx) and feed the coil off three. They will have to be wired separately anyway for the lion charge controller, so it might be an easy modification. So my next question if 12v to the coil is good would 14.4v be that much better? If the regulator wasn't having to shunt the extra voltage away it would only be traveling over the mosfet, shunt resistor and coil.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X