Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ivconic Tries to Be a Smart A.rse

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ivconic Tries to Be a Smart A.rse

    Here's What Happens When Ivconic Tries to Be a Smart A.rse !!!

    Well, boys, I think I've officially earned the **Dumba.rse of the Year Award**. And the best part? I have absolutely no one to blame but myself.
    After months of inactivity, I finally decided it was time to get back out there and do some serious detecting. I packed my trusty Garrett GTI 2500 into my backpack and set off on what turned out to be a rather ambitious mountain expedition.
    And by ambitious, I mean several hours of pure punishment.
    I climbed to the top of a mountain massif, scrambled over rocks, fought my way through rough karst terrain, and got repeatedly attacked by low branches and thorny vegetation. At times, the bushes were practically trying to remove my eyeballs. My legs were getting smashed against rocks, my arms were covered in scratches and cuts, and after roughly 10 km of hiking, I was beginning to question some of my life choices.
    But hey, that's detecting, right? No pain, no gain!
    My finds for the day? One iron fibula. Not exactly a treasure haul, but at least I had something to show for my efforts.
    And then came the really strange find.
    At the very top of the mountain, inside a small patch of woodland, I discovered an absolutely HUGE bullet — .50 caliber, or possibly even larger. It was completely covered in mineral deposits and what appeared to be calcareous sinter (bigar), almost as if nature had decided to encase it in stone.
    And it was UNFIRED.
    Now, seriously... WHAT THE HELL WAS IT DOING UP THERE?
    This wasn't some convenient spot beside a road or an old military camp. This was the top of a mountain! Getting there was hard enough for a human carrying a metal detector, let alone a goat. I honestly couldn't figure out how something like that had ended up in such a place.
    Naturally, my curiosity was working overtime.

    **And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where the story takes a spectacular turn from metal detecting into a masterclass in stupidity.**

    I finally made it home completely wrecked. I was exhausted, dehydrated, covered in scratches, and barely able to lift my arms. The Garrett GTI 2500 is a fantastic detector, but let's be honest — that thing weighs like a small industrial machine when you've been carrying it around mountains all day. My shoulders and arms were screaming for mercy.

    The sensible thing to do would have been to take a shower, drink some water, eat something, and go straight to bed.
    But no.
    Apparently, my brain had decided that physical exhaustion wasn't enough punishment for one day.
    Instead of resting, I went straight to the garage.
    I clamped the enormous cartridge in a bench vise, messed around with the projectile using pliers, removed it, and emptied the propellant. At this point, any remotely intelligent person would have stopped, recognized that old ammunition can remain dangerous, and contacted someone qualified to deal with it.
    But I was clearly auditioning for the role of **World's Biggest Smart *****.
    I then turned the casing upside down, secured it in the vise, took a thin, strong steel needle, placed it against the primer area, and gave it a hit with a hammer.
    I expected... well, honestly, I'm not even sure what I expected.
    What I got was a VERY loud detonation.
    **BANG!!!**
    The primer violently ruptured, sending a fragment straight upward — right between the index and middle fingers of my left hand.
    The result was an instant, bloody mess. The fragment tore through the skin and damaged the tissue between those fingers. There was blood everywhere, and I quickly realized that this was no longer a funny little garage experiment.
    I had managed to turn an already exhausting day into a genuine medical emergency.
    Somehow, I managed to improvise a temporary dressing and get myself to the emergency department, where they cleaned and flushed the wound and properly dressed it.
    So, no, I didn't end up spending the night in a hospital bed. I went in, got the hand treated, and left with two fingers wrapped up like a badly packaged Christmas present.
    And now here I am, sitting at home, with two bandaged fingers, a very sore hand, and plenty of time to reflect on the questionable quality of my decision-making process.
    The mountain nearly destroyed my legs. The vegetation tried to blind me. The Garrett nearly dislocated my shoulders.
    But none of those things managed to defeat me.
    **I had to wait until I got HOME and entered my own garage to achieve maximum damage.**
    Think about that for a moment.
    I survived hours of hiking through brutal terrain, only to be nearly defeated by a rusty piece of ammunition and a hammer.
    The mountain didn't get me.
    The rocks didn't get me.
    The thorn bushes didn't get me.
    My own curiosity, combined with a spectacular lack of common sense, did the job perfectly.
    And the most ridiculous part of the whole story is that I knew absolutely nothing about the condition of that old ammunition, yet somehow convinced myself that I could safely investigate it myself.
    Congratulations, Ivconic. Truly outstanding work.
    I went out looking for relics and came home as one.
    So, what have we learned today?

    * Carrying a heavy detector up a mountain while completely out of shape is a questionable idea.
    * Finding a gigantic, mysterious piece of old ammunition at the top of a mountain is fascinating.
    * Being curious is good. Being stupidly curious is considerably more expensive.
    * Exhaustion and dehydration are NOT the ideal conditions for making decisions.
    * And, most importantly, **NEVER attempt to dismantle, manipulate, or strike the primer of old ammunition.** Even when it looks ancient, rusty, mineralized, or completely harmless, it can still kill or seriously injure you.

    If you find something like this while detecting, leave it alone, keep others away, and contact the appropriate authorities or explosive-ordnance professionals.
    As for me, I'll be taking a short break from garage-based explosive engineering.
    My next detecting trip will hopefully involve less blood, fewer medical dressings, and absolutely zero experiments with ammunition.
    I'll also be accepting nominations for the **Smart *** of the Year Award**. I suspect the competition is already over.
    Stay safe out there, folks. Learn from my stupidity so you don't have to repeat it.
    And if anyone asks how my detecting trip went, I'll simply say:
    *"Found a fibula, discovered a mystery, blew up my afternoon, and got two fingers professionally wrapped. All in a day's work."*
    **Cheers,**
    **Ivconic — currently operating at approximately 30% hand functionality and 0% intelligence.**


    ​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Sinji vV.jpg Views:	2 Size:	768.3 KB ID:	453419Click image for larger version  Name:	9Oktobar 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	500.9 KB ID:	453420

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Povreda 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	341.7 KB ID:	453421Click image for larger version  Name:	Povreda 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	321.2 KB ID:	453422



    ​Click image for larger version  Name:	ICsmartarse2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	699.2 KB ID:	453423​​​​

  • #2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Povreda 3.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	453425​

    Comment


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	smartarse1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	453429Click image for larger version

Name:	smartarse2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	453430
      Click image for larger version

Name:	smartarse3.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	453431Click image for larger version

Name:	smartarse4.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	453432

      ​Click image for larger version

Name:	smartarse5.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	453433​​​​

      Comment


      • #4
        This evil "beetch" is finally harmless…
        I keep staring at it, turning it around in my hands, wondering what the hell I could make out of it…
        because apparently, nearly blowing my fingers off wasn’t enough to teach me a lesson.
        Any ideas?

        ​

        Comment


        • #5
          BTW the reason I didn't bring the lightweight Deus and opted for the super heavy duty GTI2500 is because the GTI2500 in AM mode has no competition in these types of quests.
          Literally!
          The GTI2500 is unassailable!
          ​

          Comment


          • #6
            We wish you a speedy recovery, but you made a catastrophic mistake today.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks!
              True!


              Comment


              • #8
                I’ll tell you something even better: my daughter asked me why I had a black thumbnail, and my answer was, "I forgot how to use a hammer."

                Comment


                • #9
                  i hope its not the soldering iron using hand
                  by the way
                  since you gone to the hospital with a gunshot wound did you have to explain how it happen
                  and did you have or expecting a visit of the police?
                  take care next time

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    An adage I like to use is: "A good day is any day I learn something new." See? Your day wasn't as bad as you thought. And you still have your fingers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nickel_n View Post
                      i hope its not the soldering iron using hand
                      by the way
                      since you gone to the hospital with a gunshot wound did you have to explain how it happen
                      and did you have or expecting a visit of the police?
                      take care next time
                      Ha, ha, ha!
                      Great point and you'll love the answer!
                      Yes, the basic obligation of the medical staff in the "emergency room" is to ask about the cause of the injury!
                      In case of questionable answer; they are obliged to call the police officers on duty.
                      I had that in mind.
                      My explanation was perfectly acceptable to them and they had no need to doubt!
                      This is crazy and I thought of it in a second while driving there.
                      "The damned key got stuck in the damned lock, which I bought at the Chinese store (we have a Chinese market in the place) on the door of the house, and I was trying to break the lock with a hammer and a chisel, and unfortunately the chisel slipped between my fingers... and here are the consequences..."
                      A perfect answer that no one here would ever suspect!
                      Ooooooahahahahahahahaha! (Carl & George didn't fix the most proper smiley for this)
                      ​

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pito View Post
                        I’ll tell you something even better: my daughter asked me why I had a black thumbnail, and my answer was, "I forgot how to use a hammer."
                        Yes, that's a shorter version of my explanation! Hahahahaha!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
                          An adage I like to use is: "A good day is any day I learn something new." See? Your day wasn't as bad as you thought. And you still have your fingers.
                          Oh yes!
                          Everything that doesn't kill you - makes you stronger!
                          Given the crazy head on my shoulders... I'm probably the strongest man in the history of the planet!
                          I have been so lucky in life so far, and in many more dangerous adventures, that it is absolutely clear that God is protecting me for some reason (unknown to me)... at least for now.
                          I'm afraid that one day He will give up on me too!
                          ​

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What runs through the whole story is actually a very worrying and sad testimony that the days of metal detecting with a successful end of the day (a lot of good finds) have long passed!
                            That's what I had to go through in one day, to find a low-quality iron fibula!
                            I remember much better times.
                            The GTI2500 in AM mode is literally a "vacuum cleaner" for forest finds.
                            20 years ago, day like yesterday; I would have come loaded with a full backpack of finds!
                            Hard times!
                            Nothing of the findings!
                            ​

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Since I'm "recovering" today and have too much free time... let's make some sense of this topic, ok?
                              What I am about to write now is my long-standing desire for a "perfect" detector.
                              Anyone who has been on the forum for a long time certainly cannot avoid my frequent scribal descriptions of delight with non-motion or at least slow motion metal detectors.
                              However, I have a long practice in this, almost 40 years. And I've had a lot of models through my hands so far.
                              There isn't a single model of metal detector that I haven't honestly loved so far, for one reason or another.
                              But the Cscope 1220B was mentioned most often in my fondest memories. And in later years, the GTI2500.
                              Of course, for about ten years I tired everyone on the forum by glorifying XP Deus.
                              GTI2500 I have had 4-5 pieces so far.
                              But I have never before, until the one I have now, paid too much attention to the AM mode of operation.
                              A big mistake and evidence of great ignorance!
                              XP Deus has a "non motion" mode (I don't know what else to call it) but, truth be told; very poorly done.
                              The GTI2500 is becoming increasingly rare to find on classifieds.
                              The one I have now is in mint condition and I've been waiting for it for almost 10 years!
                              This GTI2500 with AM mode so far fits my ideal of the "perfect detector".
                              Because it "sees" very widely, feels the coil from the side, is very immediate and respectably deep.
                              At the same time, the "Disc" cursor on the upper part of the screen is unexpectedly accurate and good.
                              So the user is not deprived of plenty of information.
                              There is one small "flaw" in the whole story. GEB is good but not stable enough.
                              Often (but not worrisomely often) it is desirable to do GEB.
                              That part in the GTI2500 is not too agile and completely clear.
                              GEB is done and it's ok. But it is a bit "unclear" and often "falls out".
                              And what do I get with this GTI2500?
                              What I always wanted!
                              For the detector to see "wide", deep and to be very agile to the smallest signals.
                              No, the point of this post is not to glorify the GTI2500, because that would be pointless, for God's sake it's a close to a 30-year-old model.
                              No, the real point of this post is an "essay" on where the idea of ​​a perfect detector should go.
                              Times are tough.
                              The standard sites we search on have long since been emptied and devastated, there are no more findings.
                              Hard times have come.
                              I am of the opinion that we are left with only vast areas in the most remote places, hard-to-reach mountains and forests. Huge areas.
                              The PI detector is something that is imposed.
                              But no PI can compete with the fact that the GTI2500 has an almost infallible VDI cursor and in AM mode it is a true non motion with all the good features that go with it.
                              For example; yesterday in 100% of cases I knew in advance when I detected a horseshoe wedge (millions of those pieces scattered everywhere on the mountain),
                              I clearly knew when I found an iron fibula, I clearly knew how to recognize a horseshoe without digging.
                              And I clearly knew ahead of time without digging when it came to the foil (wind brings pieces of foil even to such remote places).
                              This is something that is impossible to have with any PI, no matter how perfect it is. Take my word for it!
                              So what's the message to aspiring engineers who want to design new and better models?
                              (Rhetorical question, an engineer who doesn't get the point from this post... will never do anything anyway)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X