And I forgot. Extra loud audio I got with audio part used from Promet1 schematic. Just added small pigy PCB.
Regards,
Darko
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
TESORO GOLDEN SABRE
Collapse
X
-
I was build two versions of TGSL until now. One respecting original TGS schematic but with notch part excluded and with BD140 audio part, and a version using original schematic with BC517 in audio part with only notch part excluded, and audio loudnes go to be same in both versions. I tried this with several coils I build. I was not try with Fet and Zener excluded from TX.Originally posted by ivconic View PostAh one more thing;
just recently i made Eldorado using my pcb. Nothing changed to original schematic, except that fet part at TX.
Audio is very STRONG!
I gained pretty good air depths on 1e coin with first coil - over 28cm at 1e in air.
That coil has gone. Yesterday i made another coil, very same as previous.
Best i can gain with it is 24cm on 1e coin in air. Rock stabille, extra loud audio, excellent discrimination. All metal mode (static) works fantastic, extra accurate and stabille. Yet....only 24cm on 1e in air.
Instead LF442 i had to put TL062. Can not obtain LF442.
But i here just want to point on extra loud audio??? From where it coming? (it is as on schematic - no mods on this Eldorado)



Leave a comment:
-
Ah one more thing;
just recently i made Eldorado using my pcb. Nothing changed to original schematic, except that fet part at TX.
Audio is very STRONG!
I gained pretty good air depths on 1e coin with first coil - over 28cm at 1e in air.
That coil has gone. Yesterday i made another coil, very same as previous.
Best i can gain with it is 24cm on 1e coin in air. Rock stabille, extra loud audio, excellent discrimination. All metal mode (static) works fantastic, extra accurate and stabille. Yet....only 24cm on 1e in air.
Instead LF442 i had to put TL062. Can not obtain LF442.
But i here just want to point on extra loud audio??? From where it coming? (it is as on schematic - no mods on this Eldorado)


Leave a comment:
-
Speaker was cause of some strange behavior in the past, at first pcbs. Than many things changed. On latest pcbs speaker is not a problem. Use 8ohms, or even better 16 ohms.
"CZ5" was a hell of a pcb for me. My very best (deepest and calmest) handmade was on that pcb. Only drawback is - it is large. Last pcb is also very good, but smaller.
I am not that conversant and cant explain what's going on with those handmades. I experienced same thing at some handmades: chatters, instabillity, faint audio, low sense etc...etc..
It is not about pcb anymore. Mostly it is about coil, 99%.
I had chance to see original Silver Sabre, Eldorado and now Bandido II. Except Bandido II which is on excellent ceramic pcb, the others two were made on ordinary "pertinax" and those pcbs are more than funny! Designed in a way i would never do. Wires everywhere, mixing, crossing.....mess!
Yet those worked pretty good and rock stabille. Also those were with 16 ohms speakers and earphone sockets.
Quality of used material in those - average. Nothing special. So...????
Coil, coil and nothing but the coil!
Dont torture yourself thinking to much about other things - focus on coil.
Regards!
P.S.
One more thing; Eldorado, SS and Bandido II were with smaller coils, 8". 1e detecting at 22-24cm in air. Rock stabille, sharp audio and loud.
All the "problems" are tied to new DD coils, larger dimensions and with air depths over 25cm! Is this a clue? I think so.
From newer Tesoros i tested Vaquero and Tejon. Both were tested with newer and larger DD coils. When adjusted to run "hot", both chatters and acting instabille. Another clue? I think so.
We are trying here to push those machines over their limits, that's why we get chatters and other sideffects. No wonder.
Leave a comment:
-
favorite TGS PCB
Here is a question for Ivconic and anyone:
What is your favorite TGS PCB in this thread? TGSL Final is the rage right now, but Ivconic and others designed many excellent PCBs, is there any advantage to one or other, any special qualities.
I thought of a new worry about TGSL Final which is: the ground trace to speaker is quite long, it goes through LM358 (caps), LM308, and other stuff. The speaker is big monster and drags down the buss voltages - I believe helps make chatters (not proven, but based on observation and theory).
Looking at some other TGSL PCBs, it seems speaker ground is much nearer battery ground. That seems good to me.
What is your experience? Which TGS PCBs do you like best?
Regards,
-SB
(I put on flak jacket now...)
Leave a comment:
-
Practically speaking, I agree -- you don't really hear the difference. But I measured about 2 volts higher at drive transistor when LM358 U107 powered by +12V -- Ok, not enough to matter, but made me think about it.Originally posted by ivconic View PostWell...i must disapoint you - no louder audio. I tried both and audio is the same. Like i said, last LM358 (1/2) serves for battery test, that's why is powered directly to +12V.
Look at Bandido, originally it is powered with 9V and yet it has loud audio.
Somehow (and i still dont know how....and already switched to Eldorado so i will not find out for sure) audio strenght is tied up to coil!?? Why? How? I am not sure. Strenght of signal? Balancing? I noticed that making almost 50 coils so far. At most of coils audio is loud and good. At some coils audio is weak and faint. Detection and sensibility at all coils are pretty simillar. ???
I must admit that you give me new perspective with your often mentioning of that TX amplitude stabilisation part. I think it is indirectly also affects the rest of electronic and audio too. But than again there is no such thing at Bandido??? Could be also some component. I had problems with audio oftenly before BD140 version. With BD140 no more problems.
What caused problems..? Though question. That's why i experimented so much and that's why i made so many versions. Just because of audio, nothing else.
Regards!
Don't forget... what I said only matters to original audio circuit. Your BD140 circuit completely different -- it doesn't care what voltage drives it, it works like binary switch.
TGSL audio is still a big mystery -- how can depend on coil???? Very interesting -- if only I had capability to sit down with both coils, loud and soft, I could spend rest of my life getting to the bottom of it. I like mysteries.
I have noticed something about TGS audio (even with BD140 circuit); I don't know if it is good or bad. But when speaker/earphone beeps, it affects all parts of the circuit. I see dip in the rail voltages. I see dip in the output of LM358 U103!
The dip is like feedback -- it makes the beep stronger or sometimes chatter, depends on timing. I can see the affect on the oscilloscope. Each time the speaker chatters, it causes a blip in the LM358 U103 output which causes more chatter -- like a nervous hen who clucks when she hears her own voice.
If I disconnect speaker, chatter noise on scope is much less. So speaker is adding to chatter.
But this may not be bad -- if low noise to begin with, then speaker only beeps on target and makes itself stronger, so no problem there.
But the point is that the speaker influences the circuit and I'm not sure I like that. I don't know how to stop it except maybe isolate with huge capacitors -- I tried some big ones but hardly changed, so not sure what is needed. A little mystery there.
As for oscillator -- I am not in love with the "stabilization" part of TGS oscillator because it makes TX signal smaller, reduces depth. I like TGSL Final oscillator (except bump), but I see problems in discriminator circuit because voltage so high. So I posted a small mod (in TGSL Experiments) which seems to work, but I'm not completely sure. It looks good on scope, but I don't know if it affects total performance -- I wish someone with a really good TGSL Final could try it and see.
(I want to look at Bandido circuit to see how they designed oscillator and discriminator.)
TGSL may seem like simple design, but seems no end of interesting questions about it.
Regards,
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
Well...i must disapoint you - no louder audio. I tried both and audio is the same. Like i said, last LM358 (1/2) serves for battery test, that's why is powered directly to +12V.
Look at Bandido, originally it is powered with 9V and yet it has loud audio.
Somehow (and i still dont know how....and already switched to Eldorado so i will not find out for sure) audio strenght is tied up to coil!?? Why? How? I am not sure. Strenght of signal? Balancing? I noticed that making almost 50 coils so far. At most of coils audio is loud and good. At some coils audio is weak and faint. Detection and sensibility at all coils are pretty simillar. ???
I must admit that you give me new perspective with your often mentioning of that TX amplitude stabilisation part. I think it is indirectly also affects the rest of electronic and audio too. But than again there is no such thing at Bandido??? Could be also some component. I had problems with audio oftenly before BD140 version. With BD140 no more problems.
What caused problems..? Though question. That's why i experimented so much and that's why i made so many versions. Just because of audio, nothing else.
Regards!
Leave a comment:
-
New thought on old subject.
Also not important, but might as well be "neat" and finish idea.
Previously I noted that TGSFinal has +12V on last LM358 going to audio circuit. Most schematics don't, except very first in this thread.
I wondered why. I thought maybe because needed for battery check (probably true).
I recently realized it also makes audio a little louder because original audio circuit has speaker in emitter part of circuit, like emitter follower circuit. Voltage on speaker cannot be higher than voltage on base of transistor. Therefore, making voltage higher on LM358 rail allows more voltage on base of transistor and also speaker.
But with new audio in TGSLFinal, speaker is in collector part of circuit, so doesn't matter what voltage is on base of driving transistors.
So maybe more than one good reason for +12V on LM358 in original circuit. Maybe Molzar can verify.
That's all.
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
The coin you are using for testing is much smaller than a Euro, which is 2.3cm. In that case a detection distance of about 20cm (7.9") is quite good for a 1.7cm coin.Originally posted by metaldetector107 View PostDear Sir
we have a saying which it says ((if you sit and discuse for 2 thousnad years with an ignorant person you never defeat him))
lets back to my problem
my device works perfect very stable only poor performance
a single 1.7cm silver coin at about 20cm in air so i think i need "tuning" the RX coil?
thanks again Sir Qiaozhe Simonbaker
kind regards
Leave a comment:
-
Actually i dont drink any more (for longer period). It was in the past. Sweet memories related to Amstel.Originally posted by WM6 View PostTake in mind that Amstel Beer is prohibited in Kurdistan. And, please, take care about detectors, don't destroy it.
(but maybe administrator can destroy all post that not correspond to main theme)
Administrator is God here....i am just an Angel..!
Leave a comment:
-
Take in mind that Amstel Beer is prohibited in Kurdistan. And, please, take care about detectors, don't destroy it.Originally posted by peroon View Post"..
"...come down to my country Iraq Kurdistan then i will show you who am i..." Wow! So now you speak good English!
If i come there, i will take with me my brothers from Turkey. And than i will show you who you really are!
(but maybe administrator can destroy all post that not correspond to main theme)
Leave a comment:
-
Now you are talking!Originally posted by metaldetector107 View PostDear Sir
we have a saying which it says ((if you sit and discuse for 2 thousnad years with an ignorant person you never defeat him))
lets back to my problem
my device works perfect very stable only poor performance
a single 1.7cm silver coin at about 20cm in air so i think i need "tuning" the RX coil?
thanks again Sir Qiaozhe Simonbaker
kind regards
Back to your problem;
Yes you need tuning (balancing, nulling). Balancing,nulling,tuning is already explained many times on these pages. And also Qiaozhi (look how i know his name!!!) already pointed you on this:
So? What's the problem? What is dimly here?
P.S.
More i push you - better and better your English! At the end you gonna thank me much!
Leave a comment:
-
TGSL
Dear Sir
we have a saying which it says ((if you sit and discuse for 2 thousnad years with an ignorant person you never defeat him))
lets back to my problem
my device works perfect very stable only poor performance
a single 1.7cm silver coin at about 20cm in air so i think i need "tuning" the RX coil?
thanks again Sir Qiaozhe Simonbaker
kind regards
Leave a comment:
-
"..Dear Qiaozhe.." !?!?
So it is "Qiaozhe" now!? Man with milion names!
Q I A O Z H I !!!! REMEMBER! Copy to clipboard and save for good! Each time you want to ask him something, just paste from there!
This has nothing to do with your bad or good English!
"...come down to my country Iraq Kurdistan then i will show you who am i..." Wow! So now you speak good English!
If i come there, i will take with me my brothers from Turkey. And than i will show you who you really are!
Leave a comment:
-
You are not the only one who gets scolded it is not so serious as it sounds some truth but some humor too it is your turn now but mine another timeOriginally posted by metaldetector107 View PostDear Administrator????
i think it is not nice for bad words if they are realy call thimself man
come down to my country Iraq Kurdistan then i will show you who am i
another thing i thing it very usual to respect people whom you name them Dear Sir or any other polite word
from my experiance on this forum IVconic Max Qiaozhe Esteban Simonbaker any many more were very friendly and helpful so who are you to say Dear you dont deserved even
Dear adminstrator if you ever encountered any bad words from me Ban me right now or stop whom says bad words..
Dear Sir King Qiaozhe
i have LCR meter but please understand me i want to show me how to tune coils i made free oscillator what kind of coil should i use the original TGSL RX coil or any coil also i have single channel scope Max said maximum Amplititud this what i dont understand
kind regrads
if you love metaldetectors and try hard ok in the end I hope.
I think you misunderstand "tuning" maybe. Just make coils as specified 6.0 mH TX, 6.5 mH RX, and null them to minimum voltage measured across RX coil. Adjust coils slightly so voltage on capacitors C15 and C12 are positive, or very little negative (not more than -.5V negative). Positive is best, but don't move far from "null" (minimum) voltage. Turn disc pot, make sure voltage on C15 cannot go too negative. Same for GB pot and C12. If go too negative, shift the coils a little more.
Then test with coin for maximum depth making very small adjustments.
If at depth of 10 - 15 cm you hear two short beeps instead of one good beep, maybe you have RX coil leads reversed. Try other way. (Don't test close to coil).
Scope is best way to see the null voltages, but you need to see old Qiaozhi post for photos.
I may have talked about "tuning" the RX coil in another post, meaning trying to adjust capacitor C6 for better response....Don't try it, stay with values in schematic.
Can you be clear about what you are trying to do? You made a TGSL I think... are you trying to improve it? What is wrong?
Regards,
-SB
-SB
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: