Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • eduardo1979
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree completely! I am fortunate enough to have a workshop that is 250 away from the house and there is not another house within a quarter mile. So I have a very quite location for testing purposes. Power transformers and converters for RV's are also bad offenders.

    A couple years ago when this was a topic of much discussion, I was working on making up a dummy coil circuit that would provide all of the parameters needed for the detector circuit to run properly without having to hook up a coil and also get all the noise.

    This could be a great piece of test equipment, Maybe I should take another look at that project.

    Jerry
    Yes, a couple of 6mH, 6.5mH chokes would be handy for sure. I've got a 5.6mH inductor which is OK in a pinch. I think a lot of the questions about not getting 30 cm depth could be ambient noise.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    Hi , please be aware that Pc's laptops , Tvs , LCD tvs, all boom out electrical noise.

    You could be measuring the noise your test kit is producing..


    I work on stuff like this and its difficult to eradicate.. not impossible. !

    S

    My IGSL does not function with my 32" LCD tv on in the same room.
    I agree completely! I am fortunate enough to have a workshop that is 250 away from the house and there is not another house within a quarter mile. So I have a very quite location for testing purposes. Power transformers and converters for RV's are also bad offenders.

    A couple years ago when this was a topic of much discussion, I was working on making up a dummy coil circuit that would provide all of the parameters needed for the detector circuit to run properly without having to hook up a coil and also get all the noise.

    This could be a great piece of test equipment, Maybe I should take another look at that project.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • golfnut
    replied
    Hi , please be aware that Pc's laptops , Tvs , LCD tvs, all boom out electrical noise.

    You could be measuring the noise your test kit is producing..


    I work on stuff like this and its difficult to eradicate.. not impossible. !

    S

    My IGSL does not function with my 32" LCD tv on in the same room.

    Leave a comment:


  • francisco2006
    replied
    problem with noise

    hello I'm new here and I have never ridden any PCB been following the scheme Ivconic (COMPLETE TGSL 3.0). Completes the Tesoro Golden Sabre Light, but I have a problem with noise, would have made ​​the wrong reel? And I can not tune the coils. The PCB out of the TX and RX 7.63 V 1.86 V out after sending pictures of everything. thank you

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Thats what you call field testing at its best, let us know results

    Many thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis the Mennis View Post
    Still curious about the noise outside the 'workshop' I packed my things and went with my mobile workshop into the field.
    Packed my steel steed, laptop on my neck, backpack on my back , scope on the luggage carrier.


    [ATTACH]17271[/ATTACH]


    [ATTACH]17272[/ATTACH]



    The last time it went not quite right with the measurements , the coils were not potted at that time..
    With the now encapsulated coils had to go well.

    Took my list of "reminders and not to forget " and checked everything.
    Had my precautions taken for the sun:

    I'd read about someone who suspected the solar rays of unexpected influences ( Solar Induced Noise.. ? ) .
    You never know ....

    [ATTACH]17275[/ATTACH]



    But as always destiny struck again:

    The USB Scope runs on a virtual machine on my laptop and the USB scope did not want to be recognized
    I have installed the scope software to a free partition now , this will not happen again.

    When the scope was finally recognized and booted, I had time for a sample before the laptop battery was empty ...

    In this example spectrum analyzer view at the outputs of the LM308 ( in this case TL081 )
    Steep filter 0 - 50 Hz

    [ATTACH]17276[/ATTACH]

    View at same test points , still suspicious about the wind effecting the leads in the pcb housing causing a little more noise (?) ....

    [ATTACH]17277[/ATTACH]



    Added on my list: charge laptop battery even more ....

    Finally there was a positive thing: I had the chance to perform a 'wet grass' test ....


    [ATTACH]17273[/ATTACH]


    Mmmmmmmhhhh maybe next time

    To be continued

    Kind regards ,

    Dennis the Mennis



    That is a hoot! It just kept getting funnier! Made my day...

    And a good idea too, I hope you try again -- and watch out for those metal bolts in the table.

    You did get some data -- how does the noise compare to in your workshop?

    Keep up the good work.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • Dennis the Mennis
    replied
    Another noise field test attempt

    Still curious about the noise outside the 'workshop' I packed my things and went with my mobile workshop into the field.
    Packed my steel steed, laptop on my neck, backpack on my back , scope on the luggage carrier.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	329930


    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	329931



    The last time it went not quite right with the measurements , the coils were not potted at that time..
    With the now encapsulated coils had to go well.

    Took my list of "reminders and not to forget " and checked everything.
    Had my precautions taken for the sun:

    I'd read about someone who suspected the solar rays of unexpected influences ( Solar Induced Noise.. ? ) .
    You never know ....

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	329933



    But as always destiny struck again:

    The USB Scope runs on a virtual machine on my laptop and the USB scope did not want to be recognized
    I have installed the scope software to a free partition now , this will not happen again.

    When the scope was finally recognized and booted, I had time for a sample before the laptop battery was empty ...

    In this example spectrum analyzer view at the outputs of the LM308 ( in this case TL081 )
    Steep filter 0 - 50 Hz

    Click image for larger version

Name:	spectrum 190 Hz.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	329934

    View at same test points , still suspicious about the wind effecting the leads in the pcb housing causing a little more noise (?) ....

    Click image for larger version

Name:	noise na 5 sec spoel 2.5 mtr afstand_2.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	329935



    Added on my list: charge laptop battery even more ....

    Finally there was a positive thing: I had the chance to perform a 'wet grass' test ....


    Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAZAVEY5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	329932


    Mmmmmmmhhhh maybe next time

    To be continued

    Kind regards ,

    Dennis the Mennis

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    It may be me, but I think all the links are broken due to "age"...... Could you post the actual document here so that it stays? Or is it simply too big?

    If I could get hold of a copy from you, I could cut it up into pieces that Geotech will allow to be posted if you wish.....

    I could send you my proper email address via the Geotech message service to make that easier if you wish.

    Thanks for your help

    Regards

    Andy

    Thanks in advance.
    You cannot post a copy here, as the book is copyright.

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Broken links

    Originally posted by Cyclonite View Post
    Wonderful work @dfbowers !

    Here you have an eBook written by Vinvent J. Ginger about a DIY Plastic Vacuum Forming Machine, which may be of interest to those who would want to build there own Coil Housing.

    Also, thank you very much to all who have participated in Designing and Refining the Tesoro Golden Sabre Metal Detector.

    Excellent Job!


    The Refined and Working Finished Project by @Ivconic can be found here:

    TGSL - Complete Details, posted by @Qiaozhi's and Designed by @Ivconic:


    And here you have the eBook:

    Secrets of Building a Plastic Vacuum Forming Machine - By Vincent R. Gingery (1999)



    * Author: Vincent R. Gingery
    * Publisher: D.J. Gingery
    * Number Of Pages: 106
    * Publication Date: 1999-07
    * ISBN / ASIN: 1878087223
    * EAN: 9781878087225
    * Binding: Paperback
    * Manufacturer: D.J. Gingery
    * Format: PDF (OCRed)
    * Size: 4.13 MB

    Description by Vince Gingery:

    Geez... you should see the samples of vacuum forming Vince sent me! I can show you a photo but until you hold the formed sheet in your hand you don't know how powerful this thing is. It's professional quality. And you can build it for far less than you can buy a machine. And since Vince will reveal his experiences, you should be able to adapt the design and scale it up or down. The best way to describe the machine is to let Vince do the talking:



    "The machine is built almost entirely of angle iron and flat bar. Construction is simple, with some welding being required. Being built on wheels makes the machine easy to move from place to place. It has a unique clamp frame that works very well and the adjustable work surface (platen) is a real asset. The machine has a 12" x 15" forming area, and I have formed ABS plastic up to 3/16" thick with it. I believe the machine would form 1/4" as well. Of course, thicker plastic takes longer to reach forming temperature.

    The machine operates on a 20 amp 120 volt circuit using a 1500 watt, 120 volt heating element. Temperature is controlled by an infinite range switch mounted in the control panel. Everything required to build the machine is easy to find except for the 120 volt heating element. It's an oven replacement element, and ... will sell for around $30.00 plus shipping...



    The vacuum for the machine can be supplied by either an air venturi pump or electric vacuum pump in conjunction with two storage tanks. I am mentioning the air venturi pump as one alternative because it's so cheap. Only $12.99 through Harbor Freight and it pulls 4.2 cfm per minute taking about 4 minutes to pull a 25 kg vacuum on my two 11 gallon tanks. Not too shabby for the price. In order to use it though, you need to have an air compressor capable of maintaining 90 psi.. The other and better alternative is an electric vacuum pump. The electric pump I have pulls 6 cfm taking about 2 minutes to pull a 25 kg vacuum. Although twice as fast, the electric pump costs close to $300.00."

    You oughta have a copy of this... for your reference library if nothing else!

    Note by @Cyclonite:

    You can also use an old Refrigerator Motor as Vacuum Pump, connected to a Buffer Cylinder for fast release of Vacuum Pressure. These Refrigerator Motor Pumps work slow, so you will have to suck a Buffer Cylinder vacuum (empty CO2 Fire Extinguisher etc.) for use with large cavity suction products. The faster you can suck a vacuum, the less heat you will have to expose your plastic forming material to.

    Download (RARed 3.80 MB):

    Secrets of Building a Plastic Vacuum Forming Machine - By Vincent R. Gingery (David J. Gingery Publishing LLC - 1999) 56s (d).pdf

    iFile.it Download Link:


    or (optional)

    MegaUpload Download Link:


    No Password Required !

    Enjoy !

    Robert
    It may be me, but I think all the links are broken due to "age"...... Could you post the actual document here so that it stays? Or is it simply too big?

    If I could get hold of a copy from you, I could cut it up into pieces that Geotech will allow to be posted if you wish.....

    I could send you my proper email address via the Geotech message service to make that easier if you wish.

    Thanks for your help

    Regards

    Andy

    Thanks in advance.

    Leave a comment:


  • johnsmith77
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    I turn disc up to just reject small bits of foil, the TGSL is quiet on iron as well... nothing at all..

    That's the stong point of the TGSL, assuming phasing is set correctly. It should still reject fairly large pieces of iron. Discrimination is excellent!!

    Don
    Please tell how big rejection distance is for iron pliers, small bits of foil in DISC mode (min, middle, max DISC pot positions?)
    Does totally rejected? 0cm or there are gap?

    Thank you

    Leave a comment:


  • johnsmith77
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Hmmm!?
    Again (maybe annoying) try to recheck all the pots and switch wires.
    It happened to me few times that i reversed wires and also put viper wire on wrong place on pcb. So i got than pretty strange behavior too.
    Also once i mixed up those 3 wires for A/D switch and behavior was also very strange.
    Other thing... coil, again coil!
    It doesn't matter if you read proper freq, because if coil is not nulled well; it can cause such and similar behavior.
    I checked. All looks ok.

    But hope i found mistake. Hope it is the reason of my problem.

    In TGSL_101 documentation i found usb cable connection: J2-1 (U101a pin 5 not inverted) goes to ground in coil head.
    In the forum, i see J2-2 (U101 pin 6 inverted) should go to ground in coil head.

    Is there a mistake in that manual or in forum?
    Think manual has mistakes Also found some others in it.

    Later i checked your manual and see J2-2 goes to ground. Vuolia!

    Because of this mixing i thing Rx signal was not inverted so GB channel should act as DISC.

    Still not checked, it is morning and i don't want wake up my sleeping family with TGSL loud beeps

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by johnsmith77 View Post
    Seems correct. Tx measured in oscillator circuit 14,5 khz. Rx in oscillator circuit - 13,78 khz.
    Recalculated because C 20nf to 15nf: will get 15,9 khz. And after that i took off 1 turn. So almost ideal frequencies.
    Shielded, with gaps. No double beeps. Usb 2 cable. Oscilograms like in the page 57 of this forum. Only have 1 channel scope, but checked with 2 channel pc scope.
    Ps: I have usb socket connected usb cable to coil and to pcb, grounded. Can it affect?

    Strangest as i said discrimination works only by one metal. If reject foil, then accept iron and contrary.
    Hmmm!?
    Again (maybe annoying) try to recheck all the pots and switch wires.
    It happened to me few times that i reversed wires and also put viper wire on wrong place on pcb. So i got than pretty strange behavior too.
    Also once i mixed up those 3 wires for A/D switch and behavior was also very strange.
    Other thing... coil, again coil!
    It doesn't matter if you read proper freq, because if coil is not nulled well; it can cause such and similar behavior.

    Leave a comment:


  • johnsmith77
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    I am analyzing again what you posted earlier.

    "...so small ferrite can detect only about 3cm..."

    Not a big deal. Maybe will need slight readjustment and maybe you can leave it like that.

    "...Disc mode, disc pot min; big pliers detects at 20cm. As i said 1e at this adjustement is 29cm.
    If i turn disc pot more to middle or to max, detection range to iron is bigger...
    "

    Maybe you reversed Disc pot wires?
    Even so; definitely your Disc circuitry is not working.
    Maybe you wired it up wrong? Check again Disc pot leads and A/D switch wires.
    And last (but not least) - coil?
    If everything on pcb is correct, than all the troubles are starting and ending with coil.
    Seems correct. Tx measured in oscillator circuit 14,5 khz. Rx in oscillator circuit - 13,78 khz.
    Recalculated because C 20nf to 15nf: will get 15,9 khz. And after that i took off 1 turn. So almost ideal frequencies.
    Shielded, with gaps. No double beeps. Usb 2 cable. Oscilograms like in the page 57 of this forum. Only have 1 channel scope, but checked with 2 channel pc scope.
    Ps: I have usb socket connected usb cable to coil and to pcb, grounded. Can it affect?

    Strangest as i said discrimination works only by one metal. If reject foil, then accept iron and contrary.

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by johnsmith77 View Post
    Hello everybody I am the new one in this forum, but not a newbie in the electronics. So i made TGSL. This is my first homemade MD in my life. I have never had any commercial MD also before

    My results: 1e coin 29cm, disc mode. Measure at home. I have Dfbowers mod in sensitivity pot.

    All metal mode: tunned gb pot, so small ferrite can detect only about 3cm.

    Disc mode, disc pot min; big pliers detects at 20cm. As i said 1e at this adjustement is 29cm.
    If i turn disc pot more to middle or to max, detection range to iron is bigger.

    What is your opinion about gb and disc adjustements?

    Thank you
    I am analyzing again what you posted earlier.

    "...so small ferrite can detect only about 3cm..."

    Not a big deal. Maybe will need slight readjustment and maybe you can leave it like that.

    "...Disc mode, disc pot min; big pliers detects at 20cm. As i said 1e at this adjustement is 29cm.
    If i turn disc pot more to middle or to max, detection range to iron is bigger...
    "

    Maybe you reversed Disc pot wires?
    Even so; definitely your Disc circuitry is not working.
    Maybe you wired it up wrong? Check again Disc pot leads and A/D switch wires.
    And last (but not least) - coil?
    If everything on pcb is correct, than all the troubles are starting and ending with coil.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X