Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Aziz View Post
    Hi Molzar,

    Multimeters have mostly a cut-off-frequency of about 1 kHz. This means, you can measure AC voltages only up to this frequency (-3dB).

    Anyway, with multimeters balancing can be still made by minimizing the voltage on the RX coil.

    Aziz
    This is true. That's why we cant rely on accurate readings. Yet, in absence of better instruments, AC milivoltmeter can be used. First take some properly nulled coil and measure residual voltage on it. Remember results and than use those as reference for further handmades....
    Keep in mind that residual voltage depends of frequency! Most important...or further confusing is possible.

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    "...Ivconic,

    Yes, I am using your wirement drawings for coil connections, very helpful. I guess what I really whated to know was if "when nulling" if the one Rx (not Hot) is still connected to gnd in search head?

    YES, it remains connected in search head with F.Cage and TX end.




    Also Do you put tape (like Max) on coil winding or shielding first?

    I put selfadhesive Al foil tape over windings. Than scotch tape over it.

    Tried nulling using your methods (I left the Rx lead connected to gnd in search head, mainly cause this is soldered and to change is PIA (Pain In A**)

    Indeed, i agree.


    other connections have screw terminals for easy experimentation. I'm using 2 pair shielded Belden cable, should be good for this app.

    Belden cable is superb!

    Nulled down to ~1.5mV AC with multimeter...... But still only 19 cm on 2 cm coin..., maybe is not coil? Or maybe spiral wrap is coil killer? What you think?

    ??? I am confused!? How can i pronounce my readings??? At 200mV AC range it says 0.07-0.09 when coils are nulled perfectly..First excellent working coil i made has that reading so i adopted it as reference for future coils.Ever since i nulled all my coils to achieve same readings...No mistake so far!


    I need big BEER now...

    I have extra beer! Join me!

    Maybe I try your other way nulling by swing coin over coils while moving coils, very simple, effective method!!!!!(If you have tuned TGS)

    Can be used but not accurate...Better do the first method.

    I am very "practical" person, I too know from experience that "theory" does usually not work and should always use our first hand knowledge to solve problem in real world. But theory has its place, you just can't let it limit your thinking and ideas...."

    I went to schools for 17 years.Of course theory is basic. Problem is that Physics didn't explored and explained all. That's why we are here! Right!

    Leave a comment:


  • erolunall
    replied
    Hello
    My friend asked help for not working TGSL works that he attach his works below links.
    it is not giving sound.
    İf anyone find any error please write.
    Regards
    Erol


    Leave a comment:


  • Aziz
    replied
    Originally posted by Molzar View Post
    Nulled down to ~1.5mV AC with multimeter...... But still only 19 cm on 2 cm coin..., maybe is not coil? Or maybe spiral wrap is coil killer? What you think?
    Hi Molzar,

    Multimeters have mostly a cut-off-frequency of about 1 kHz. This means, you can measure AC voltages only up to this frequency (-3dB).

    Anyway, with multimeters balancing can be still made by minimizing the voltage on the RX coil.

    Aziz

    Leave a comment:


  • Molzar
    replied
    [quote=Max;72076]Hi Molzar,
    you use the spiral there ??? Like in PI coils ? Why ? Don't need it...

    I use too spiral but only with PI coils not VLF.

    Max,

    I use spiral wrap cause is good (tight) constraint on coil wires. Thought this way would apply to VLF as well as PI. I will use your silimlar method on next coils to see any difference.

    I guess since no one answer on care of windings, this doesn't matter?

    Ivconic,

    Yes, I am using your wirement drawings for coil connections, very helpful. I guess what I really whated to know was if "when nulling" if the one Rx (not Hot) is still connected to gnd in search head? Also Do you put tape (like Max) on coil winding or shielding first?

    Tried nulling using your methods (I left the Rx lead connected to gnd in search head, mainly cause this is soldered and to change is PIA (Pain In A**) other connections have screw terminals for easy experimentation. I'm using 2 pair shielded Belden cable, should be good for this app.

    Nulled down to ~1.5mV AC with multimeter...... But still only 19 cm on 2 cm coin..., maybe is not coil? Or maybe spiral wrap is coil killer? What you think? I need big BEER now...

    Maybe I try your other way nulling by swing coin over coils while moving coils, very simple, effective method!!!!!(If you have tuned TGS)

    I am very "practical" person, I too know from experience that "theory" does usually not work and should always use our first hand knowledge to solve problem in real world. But theory has its place, you just can't let it limit your thinking and ideas.


    Qiaozhi,

    Swapped coils, Rx still shifts to right when triggering on Tx. Let me know if you figure this out.




    Many thanks to all,

    Molzar

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Molzar View Post
    Hi Qiaozhi,

    This should be easy to prove by swapping the coils so the Tx is the lower frequency (higher inductance). Also if you take a look at Carl's coil data http://geotech.thunting.com/cgi-bin/...oils/index.dat the one Tesoro DD has the Tx as the higher inductance and all the concentrics are the opposite, Tx lower inductance.

    I've read many posts on Tx frequency of ~14.6 KHz here, but where does the Rx frequency (16.12 KHz) you stated above come from?

    Will try swapping coils tonight...

    Thanks,

    Molzar
    Hi Molzar,

    Swapping the coils will probably make very little difference. In fact, the resonant frequency of the RX coil, plus its associated capacitor, should still be above the TX frequency. However, at the moment, I can only think that this could be the reason for the discrepancy. When I get some free time I'll make some tests and let you know the results - using my own "working" detector.

    You can easily calculate the TX and RX frequencies using:



    I measured the Tesoro coil inductances as 5.9mH (TX) and 6.5mH (RX), which are slightly different to the coil data chart

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    "...When you say "not connected to TGS" this means both Rx leads are isolated from PCB correct? What about shield? I would think shield of both (Tx and Rx) should be connected to TGS pcb...."

    You better search for wiring diagram on previous pages.
    I sketched pretty "handy" coil-cable-device wirements.
    Yes,Faraday cage is connected permanently in search head with both;TX and RX ends. Yet,RX end is separated through cable with standalone wire(pvc coated) and goes to RX along with "hot" RX, on pcb.
    But in case of nulling,you better disconnect both RX from pcb and connect them (in air) with 200mV AC milivoltmeter. TX remains connected on pcb.
    Switch ON device and meter and observe induced voltage.
    So called residual voltage. With caution, move one of coil over other, and try to achieve least possible voltage readings on meter.
    Usually takes long time for me to finish this and achieve almost zero induced voltage on RX coil. ALMOST zero....not absolute zero, cose,simply, it is not possible.
    Dont know (dont mind) about exact resonant frequency on RX coil. Really, showed less important. 24 excellent coils made so far are proving my words.

    Last comparator hysterezis already solving most of selfoscilations.Nothing more could be done there, so dont bother.
    Fets comutation....yes,Max is right there.Proper choice of Fets could solve this problem also. I dont think BF245 are best solution. I am using J107.

    Do not take original Tesoro coil and according to it do not make any conclusions - wrong!
    Make your own coil.
    Whenever i listen some - same old "experts" here i fail to achieve best results.
    Once i started to use my own brain - all started to work excellent.
    Cut the crap,stop "scientific" B.S. and start thinking properly.
    Many years of experience in REAL making of REAL,WORKABLE and EXCELL metal detectors made me think this way.
    To many phylosphes here...without at east hour in practice.
    Ask those how many workable detectors they made so far! Neither one!
    Yet they are very ready to come here and spread "wisdom" and "science" with lot calculations,formulas and blah,blah....
    Listen Max,Nakky,Ap Berg and me if you want to achieve something.
    The rest......forget those!

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Molzar View Post
    Hi Ivconic,

    I think noise could also be "bad coil" or other "xtalk" on pcb. This will be focus after solve coil / depth problems, maybe solve both with good coil!!!. I will try your method for nulling Rx coil.

    When you say "not connected to TGS" this means both Rx leads are isolated from PCB correct? What about shield? I would think shield of both (Tx and Rx) should be connected to TGS pcb.

    About coil making methods, is it important to keep inner winds far from outer winds or is "scamble" wound OK? I use "fixture" that winds coils fast so keeping turns in relative position is impossible. Also I use poly spiral wrap to bind coils, then put sheilding. But I think you post here you put shielding directly over coil wire. Any ideas or expert advise would be helpful here.

    I have been following this thread for much time and have much repect for your ideas and advice.
    Thanks,

    Molzar
    Hi Molzar,
    you use the spiral there ??? Like in PI coils ? Why ? Don't need it...

    I use too spiral but only with PI coils not VLF.

    Try this way if you can: wound coils, then wrap plastic tape on them; if needed you can wound two times with tape to make some spacing more but few/thin.

    The important is you have at the end the coils really thight fixed: use other stuff if needed like cotton cords etc etc... and over you put the tape.

    Often you can just use the tape only to fix thight the coils... then wound above the shield strip: one UNIQUE strip of foil, cut long as you need (1m or more).

    Do not overlap too much, e.g. if strip is 2cm large just try to overlap 7-8mm at each turn (less is better) BUT remember that you must cover all coil apart gap space and overlap all turns from first to end.

    Then after shield is wound, wound again with tape to keep it well fixed.

    That's all. Then epoxy everything after you positioned coils in container.

    This way you'll get very nice VLF coils ideal for TGS, though there are many variants ... like using mylar etc etc

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Molzar
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    "...Problems are some erratic noises..."

    I heard this from many people recently. Among 22 devices made so far, i also had few cases, where some ocassionall chatters and noises occurred.
    Really...I dont have universal solution to solve this problem. Usually it is about bad coil.
    I posted many posts arguing and explaining ONLY one proper way to null specially this DD coil for this TGS. Yet..very few memebers accepted my
    advices.
    Do not null coil using RX stage outputs (LF353)...WRONG!
    Null exact coil for exact TGS using only its TX output connected to TX coil and RX coil leads connect directly to milivoltmeter, BUT NOT TO TGS!
    I know...few experts here will again deny my claims and method, explaining theoretically why it is not proper.
    Do i give a sh*t? Of course not.
    My TGSL's and coils works excellent,calm and very "deep", despite "wrong" method i used to null them.
    1e coin at 34cm in the air and 28cm in the ground. Rock stabile, no chatters, no falses. Perfect discrimination.
    Only problem i do have with almost all TGSL's is weak audio. Not so loud.
    Everything else is perfect.
    I wish you success at the end.
    After all....try my method and you will see.
    Best regards!
    Hi Ivconic,

    I think noise could also be "bad coil" or other "xtalk" on pcb. This will be focus after solve coil / depth problems, maybe solve both with good coil!!!. I will try your method for nulling Rx coil.

    When you say "not connected to TGS" this means both Rx leads are isolated from PCB correct? What about shield? I would think shield of both (Tx and Rx) should be connected to TGS pcb.

    About coil making methods, is it important to keep inner winds far from outer winds or is "scamble" wound OK? I use "fixture" that winds coils fast so keeping turns in relative position is impossible. Also I use poly spiral wrap to bind coils, then put sheilding. But I think you post here you put shielding directly over coil wire. Any ideas or expert advise would be helpful here.

    I have been following this thread for much time and have much repect for your ideas and advice.
    Thanks,

    Molzar

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    "...Problems are some erratic noises..."

    I heard this from many people recently. Among 22 devices made so far, i also had few cases, where some ocassionall chatters and noises occurred.
    Really...I dont have universal solution to solve this problem. Usually it is about bad coil.
    I posted many posts arguing and explaining ONLY one proper way to null specially this DD coil for this TGS. Yet..very few memebers accepted my
    advices.
    Do not null coil using RX stage outputs (LF353)...WRONG!
    Null exact coil for exact TGS using only its TX output connected to TX coil and RX coil leads connect directly to milivoltmeter, BUT NOT TO TGS!
    I know...few experts here will again deny my claims and method, explaining theoretically why it is not proper.
    Do i give a sh*t? Of course not.
    My TGSL's and coils works excellent,calm and very "deep", despite "wrong" method i used to null them.
    1e coin at 34cm in the air and 28cm in the ground. Rock stabile, no chatters, no falses. Perfect discrimination.
    Only problem i do have with almost all TGSL's is weak audio. Not so loud.
    Everything else is perfect.
    I wish you success at the end.
    After all....try my method and you will see.
    Best regards!
    Hi,
    I think the problems are always there:
    - fets commutations
    - comparators

    I noticed that also on BandidoII happened in past I got instability due to comparators : I haven't guard rings or something there. Also, on fet amplifiers no guard rings.

    The problem I solved on bandidoII shielding lower side of critical parts... and I think a large copper plate to gnd will solve many of these problems also on TGSL (actually I have rock solid TGS but not solved yet... cause I test just from time to time, the problem on my TGSL board... that's really sensitive too but noisy).

    The dang fet commutations are still a problem but I think the really weak ring is related to last comparators... too easy to commutate there if noise present... and adding inertia slow down all the operations there and that's no good.

    I noticed Paul Panzer's project has large GND plane on upper side of board... that's the first thing I would like having on TGSL board but at now I cannot rebuilt it this way to see.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Molzar
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Hi Molzar,

    For the TGS, the TX frequency should be 14.65KHz and the RX must be tuned to 16.12KHz. So it's important to note that the resonant frequency of the RX circuit is higher than the TX. This might be causing the right-shifting of the phase if the RX frequency is lower. Otherwise, there is no reason why the DD and concentric should react differently, unless it's something to do with the physical construction. i.e. under or over-nulled.
    Perhaps you could experiment with your setup, and let us know the results.
    Hi Qiaozhi,

    This should be easy to prove by swapping the coils so the Tx is the lower frequency (higher inductance). Also if you take a look at Carl's coil data http://geotech.thunting.com/cgi-bin/...oils/index.dat the one Tesoro DD has the Tx as the higher inductance and all the concentrics are the opposite, Tx lower inductance.

    I've read many posts on Tx frequency of ~14.6 KHz here, but where does the Rx frequency (16.12 KHz) you stated above come from?

    Will try swapping coils tonight...

    Thanks,

    Molzar

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    "...Problems are some erratic noises..."

    I heard this from many people recently. Among 22 devices made so far, i also had few cases, where some ocassionall chatters and noises occurred.
    Really...I dont have universal solution to solve this problem. Usually it is about bad coil.
    I posted many posts arguing and explaining ONLY one proper way to null specially this DD coil for this TGS. Yet..very few memebers accepted my
    advices.
    Do not null coil using RX stage outputs (LF353)...WRONG!
    Null exact coil for exact TGS using only its TX output connected to TX coil and RX coil leads connect directly to milivoltmeter, BUT NOT TO TGS!
    I know...few experts here will again deny my claims and method, explaining theoretically why it is not proper.
    Do i give a sh*t? Of course not.
    My TGSL's and coils works excellent,calm and very "deep", despite "wrong" method i used to null them.
    1e coin at 34cm in the air and 28cm in the ground. Rock stabile, no chatters, no falses. Perfect discrimination.
    Only problem i do have with almost all TGSL's is weak audio. Not so loud.
    Everything else is perfect.
    I wish you success at the end.
    After all....try my method and you will see.
    Best regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Molzar View Post
    Hi,

    Did some more testing, All aspects of descrimination, sense, and notch feature work properly. Coils are connected properly, still Rx always shift to the right when triggering on Tx. First gate of GEB (LM358, pin7, Max's Test point #9) rise when metal exposed to coil, like Qiaozhi said.
    Hi Molzar,

    For the TGS, the TX frequency should be 14.65KHz and the RX must be tuned to 16.12KHz. So it's important to note that the resonant frequency of the RX circuit is higher than the TX. This might be causing the right-shifting of the phase if the RX frequency is lower. Otherwise, there is no reason why the DD and concentric should react differently, unless it's something to do with the physical construction. i.e. under or over-nulled.
    Perhaps you could experiment with your setup, and let us know the results.

    Leave a comment:


  • detectoman
    replied
    es correcto calibre 31 para 030 y cal 28 para 022?

    Leave a comment:


  • detectoman
    replied
    una pregunta para alguno

    a que calibre de alambre de cobre corresponden 022m.mm, y 030 m.m?
    for your attention very thanks

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X