Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wiltran
    replied
    IGSL

    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    What we need, because it significantly reduces the workload AND it allows changes and updates to be quickly and correctly made, is a professional schematic and PCB CAD package that is fully integrated. It could be two different packages that work fully together. I personally favor Eagle, because I have it, I am not set on it completely as long as I don't have to give any more money out!!

    KICAD and ExpressSCH & ExpressPCB are two further possibles that are all free, there are probably more that are free also.....

    I almost forgot, there is a Free version of Eagle, with limitations that need not affect us in the slightest, as especially if we go to SMD compnents, the max PCB size that we need will really go down, even a carefully designed standard IGSL could be fitted on that size board they allow with a few tiny mods.....(the current IGSL PCB is 10 x 11 cm I believe)!

    The limitations of Eagle free are:-

    Limitations
    The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:
    • The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
    • Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
    • The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

    Apart from these three limitations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

    The good part is that for anyone who really gets to like Eagle (not difficult!), they can eventually purchase a license and key it in and continue using it without a re-install.......
    One schematic but it can be used either for SMD or normal components with minor changes......and will produce two radically different PCBs.....but at the same version level!!!

    Once you have used it a few times there is little better around. Its basically still the program I used over 20 years ago (Vers.2.0), but with many important improvements.....I am now at 5.4, which is not the latest one, but more than good enough for my needs.....

    Sprintlayout is not a good package for really professional use (we are professionals!!) , though many (here too) like laying out their own one-off PCBs with it, and for that its good, but as far as I am aware, there is no schematic program that can be used with it.....that is why it should be avoided completely. Even Abacom's own schematic program is not compatible!!! Now that is crazy!!!

    Properly made updates to schematic and PCB are therefore a pain (but many do it without thinking) , as we have seen, Ivconic changes the PCB well before he changes the schematic, as I also would if I was using it.....it's two separate almost unrelated jobs.....bad news.

    We should agree to a package between us, preferably free, that each can use when and how he himself wishes......

    I vote for Eagle Free, especially if our aim is to go SMD/T.....the limitations will not affect us at all......

    regards

    Andy
    I agree with fisherman 100% on this one. Another possibility is Designspark PCB with Schematic design.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    What we need, because it significantly reduces the workload AND it allows changes and updates to be quickly and correctly made, is a professional schematic and PCB CAD package that is fully integrated. It could be two different packages that work fully together. I personally favor Eagle, because I have it, I am not set on it completely as long as I don't have to give any more money out!!

    KICAD and ExpressSCH & ExpressPCB are two further possibles that are all free, there are probably more that are free also.....

    I almost forgot, there is a Free version of Eagle, with limitations that need not affect us in the slightest, as especially if we go to SMD compnents, the max PCB size that we need will really go down, even a carefully designed standard IGSL could be fitted on that size board they allow with a few tiny mods.....(the current IGSL PCB is 10 x 11 cm I believe)!

    The limitations of Eagle free are:-

    Limitations
    The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:
    • The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
    • Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
    • The schematic editor can only create one sheet.
    Apart from these three limitations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

    The good part is that for anyone who really gets to like Eagle (not difficult!), they can eventually purchase a license and key it in and continue using it without a re-install.......
    One schematic but it can be used either for SMD or normal components with minor changes......and will produce two radically different PCBs.....but at the same version level!!!

    Once you have used it a few times there is little better around. Its basically still the program I used over 20 years ago (Vers.2.0), but with many important improvements.....I am now at 5.4, which is not the latest one, but more than good enough for my needs.....

    Sprintlayout is not a good package for really professional use (we are professionals!!) , though many (here too) like laying out their own one-off PCBs with it, and for that its good, but as far as I am aware, there is no schematic program that can be used with it.....that is why it should be avoided completely. Even Abacom's own schematic program is not compatible!!! Now that is crazy!!!

    Properly made updates to schematic and PCB are therefore a pain (but many do it without thinking) , as we have seen, Ivconic changes the PCB well before he changes the schematic, as I also would if I was using it.....it's two separate almost unrelated jobs.....bad news.

    We should agree to a package between us, preferably free, that each can use when and how he himself wishes......

    I vote for Eagle Free, especially if our aim is to go SMD/T.....the limitations will not affect us at all......

    regards

    Andy
    Eagle Free sounds great, but I like to make bigger boards for experimenting so I can get my hands in there and do hand-wiring if necessary on standard .1 inch hole perfboard and have room for mods, etc.

    So I use ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH. They are not too bad, but one feature is missing that I would like... maybe if we all complain they would add it.

    Feature: I would like to be able to import an image file into ExpressPCB to use as the background, and make it scalable.

    That way you could easily re-draw any PCB layout you have an image of.

    I've suggested it, but the bums haven't budged. They probably fear either copyright liability, or loss of business when people make their own PCBs. I think the web business model has shown giving away good free things helps expand your business... just wish they'd "get the picture"...

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • homefire
    replied
    Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) hardens in about 1 second flat if you sprinkle it with Baking Soda. It works as catalyst and make a cement.

    It hardens so fast it gets hot. Try it.

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Using a Schematic & PCB CAD Program for IGSL

    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Sprint Layout 5.0 is also good for SMT, i do have some smt libs in it.
    But i never tried.
    Will do!
    What we need, because it significantly reduces the workload AND it allows changes and updates to be quickly and correctly made, is a professional schematic and PCB CAD package that is fully integrated. It could be two different packages that work fully together. I personally favor Eagle, because I have it, I am not set on it completely as long as I don't have to give any more money out!!

    KICAD and ExpressSCH & ExpressPCB are two further possibles that are all free, there are probably more that are free also.....

    I almost forgot, there is a Free version of Eagle, with limitations that need not affect us in the slightest, as especially if we go to SMD compnents, the max PCB size that we need will really go down, even a carefully designed standard IGSL could be fitted on that size board they allow with a few tiny mods.....(the current IGSL PCB is 10 x 11 cm I believe)!

    The limitations of Eagle free are:-

    Limitations
    The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:
    • The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
    • Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
    • The schematic editor can only create one sheet.

    Apart from these three limitations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

    The good part is that for anyone who really gets to like Eagle (not difficult!), they can eventually purchase a license and key it in and continue using it without a re-install.......
    One schematic but it can be used either for SMD or normal components with minor changes......and will produce two radically different PCBs.....but at the same version level!!!

    Once you have used it a few times there is little better around. Its basically still the program I used over 20 years ago (Vers.2.0), but with many important improvements.....I am now at 5.4, which is not the latest one, but more than good enough for my needs.....

    Sprintlayout is not a good package for really professional use (we are professionals!!) , though many (here too) like laying out their own one-off PCBs with it, and for that its good, but as far as I am aware, there is no schematic program that can be used with it.....that is why it should be avoided completely. Even Abacom's own schematic program is not compatible!!! Now that is crazy!!!

    Properly made updates to schematic and PCB are therefore a pain (but many do it without thinking) , as we have seen, Ivconic changes the PCB well before he changes the schematic, as I also would if I was using it.....it's two separate almost unrelated jobs.....bad news.

    We should agree to a package between us, preferably free, that each can use when and how he himself wishes......

    I vote for Eagle Free, especially if our aim is to go SMD/T.....the limitations will not affect us at all......

    regards

    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    SMD - Surface Mount Device
    SMT = Surface Mount Technology
    Thanks, easy when U know how!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Here:
    If you have a schematic to share, post it here. Please read the Intro post for rules on posting schematics.

    Leave a comment:


  • silverdog
    replied
    Aztec

    Non-motion - ideal !

    Strip out the Disc, batt check etc..

    But what about power requirements ?

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by silverdog View Post
    Glad to hear the boards arrived ok

    Hoping to have a play with the "Green" one this weekend, I have an original coil waiting !
    It may well be the next board to be offered

    I'd also love to have a go at SMD, and a project crying out for it is a pinpointer
    A simple is essential, you don't want external controls on a pinpointer really, just a switch , a 15mm-18mm wide board would slip into a 19mm/22mm pipe nicely

    Surf Pi works great with a ferrite rod coil but I fear has too many components for our first try and power may be an issue - a low power scheme is required for a pinpointer so small 6v/12v single cells can be used (like petrapin design) or 4 x AA max

    If anyone knows of a scheme that is suitable or can adapt one I'll provide the boards

    Silverdog
    I made green one and it is working by the book. Only, proper coil i don't have right now. Had one recently and sold it!
    Didn't expected at the time that will need it soon!
    IGSL, other hand, is not so comfortable to be turned to pp.
    But recently i played with Aztec! Splendid for pp.
    Already made it..but my pcb is so huge and ugly - i am ashamed to post it here on forums!

    Leave a comment:


  • silverdog
    replied
    IGSL PCB's

    Glad to hear the boards arrived ok

    Hoping to have a play with the "Green" one this weekend, I have an original coil waiting !
    It may well be the next board to be offered

    I'd also love to have a go at SMD, and a project crying out for it is a pinpointer
    A simple is essential, you don't want external controls on a pinpointer really, just a switch , a 15mm-18mm wide board would slip into a 19mm/22mm pipe nicely

    Surf Pi works great with a ferrite rod coil but I fear has too many components for our first try and power may be an issue - a low power scheme is required for a pinpointer so small 6v/12v single cells can be used (like petrapin design) or 4 x AA max

    If anyone knows of a scheme that is suitable or can adapt one I'll provide the boards

    Silverdog

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    If you want to examine SMT, then have a look at the Hammerhead here ->
    http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/page...head/index.dat
    I made HH twice. First one, few years ago, didn't worked properly, but i am sure it was my fault. And second one recently (last year i think) working excellent! Both on same version of pcb, TH. Haven't tried SMT so far. Hopefully will try in future..

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Sprint Layout 5.0 is also good for SMT, i do have some smt libs in it.
    But i never tried.
    Will do!

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    If you want to examine SMT, then have a look at the Hammerhead here ->

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    I haven't done any SMT (do you mean SMD? Surface mounted Devices!), but I do have Eagle 5.4 which can do SMD.
    SMD - Surface Mount Device
    SMT = Surface Mount Technology

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    New SMT(?) IGSL thoughts by Ivconic

    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Looking at these, for real top notch pcb's... i am starting to think that maybe is not bad idea to transfer IGSL to SMT... later, maybe in Winter...
    Because, i refused to think on SMT so far, simply because i hadn't conditions to get such hi pro pcb's!
    But now.. different story..!
    So.. till winter i will do my best to upgrade ISG project a bit more.
    I don't have any finished idea by now (don't suspect in that der fisherman! ).. but will do my best to have something till winter...
    So than we will talk about SMT...
    I am so so skilled with SL5 when conventional, through hole pcb's are subject, but i am not skilled at all with SMT.
    So if someone of you have good will to transfer it in SMT - be my guest!
    Or, better wait winter to get updated IGSL than.
    Silverdog with his splendid work will change my attitude and point of view toward hobby electronics!
    I haven't done any SMT (do you mean SMD? Surface mounted Devices!), but I do have Eagle 5.4 which can do SMD.

    Also KICAD which is completely free can do it to I am very sure.

    The secret is that both have extensive libraries of components, its unlikely that you must design a new component, but still possible if you do.

    I am putting this a bit simply, but all you need is a finished schematic and apply SMD devices to it instead of conventional ones and then tell Eagle to make a PCB......(it is more complicated than that, but I hope you get the idea!).

    I would be willing to help as well....though I must learn SMD as well.....

    Regards

    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Looking at these, for real top notch pcb's... i am starting to think that maybe is not bad idea to transfer IGSL to SMT... later, maybe in Winter...
    Because, i refused to think on SMT so far, simply because i hadn't conditions to get such hi pro pcb's!
    But now.. different story..!
    So.. till winter i will do my best to upgrade ISG project a bit more.
    I don't have any finished idea by now (don't suspect in that der fisherman! ).. but will do my best to have something till winter...
    So than we will talk about SMT...
    I am so so skilled with SL5 when conventional, through hole pcb's are subject, but i am not skilled at all with SMT.
    So if someone of you have good will to transfer it in SMT - be my guest!
    Or, better wait winter to get updated IGSL than.
    Silverdog with his splendid work will change my attitude and point of view toward hobby electronics!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X