Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Many thanks for your sterling help as I didn't know there was any difference either, I will check my chips VERY carefully......
    Regards
    andy
    Dito
    I just ordered all the bits for this project from various supplyers , guess what? ordered 4, 74hc4066 why has it took till now for someone to pick this up, and why wasnt it mentioned in the latest parts list, Must admit though had a gut feeling about this chip just 4066 didnt ring true.
    Reason why it gets hot because its designed to work between 2-6v, the cd4066 works between 3-15v , easer to be wise after the event.
    Proberly find its been mentioned before on here just missed it

    Hope all is well

    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • turtlebowl
    replied
    On Paper the CD4066 is a little better chip than a 4016 but not sure if that is the case here. Just gave it as an option in case you saw one of those in town and no 66.
    Might be interesting to see a comparison on the IGSL though.

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    Radio Shack: 42 choices of iPhone cases. 6 choices of IC's. Mouser it is.

    I'll order a few 4016's too - thanks turtlebowl.

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Comp View Post
    Hiya, Andy... Ok, with the wrong chip in, ( I think they are only good for plus and minus 5V), it pulled the minus rail down (up!) to around minus 3Volts. The board operated, but low sensitivity, (possibly because the negative rail was wrong,) and the 74HC4066 was just warm to the touch, where as all the other chips ran cool.
    I didn't really check for other symptoms,... and pulling the chip out brought the supply lines to where they should be. Serves me right, I should have looked carefully at the parts list, but I thought a 4066 was a 4066, and didnt realise there were different types, and some could only handle low supplies.

    Cheers, hope that helps, Fred
    Many thanks for your sterling help as I didn't know there was any difference either, I will check my chips VERY carefully......
    Regards
    andy

    Leave a comment:


  • turtlebowl
    replied
    'Spose you know that a CD 4016 will probably work just as well in this application? Gives you two options to hunt for this weekend.
    Phil

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    I'll second all of Fred's comment's. IC in -3v. IC out -6v. Air tests didn't reach more than 8 - 10 cm. Warm chip. I'm scrounging trying to find a CD4066 locally on a Saturday and I'll let you all know if that solves it all. We'll see!

    Lee

    Leave a comment:


  • Comp
    replied
    Hiya, Andy... Ok, with the wrong chip in, ( I think they are only good for plus and minus 5V), it pulled the minus rail down (up!) to around minus 3Volts. The board operated, but low sensitivity, (possibly because the negative rail was wrong,) and the 74HC4066 was just warm to the touch, where as all the other chips ran cool.
    I didn't really check for other symptoms,... and pulling the chip out brought the supply lines to where they should be. Serves me right, I should have looked carefully at the parts list, but I thought a 4066 was a 4066, and didnt realise there were different types, and some could only handle low supplies.

    Cheers, hope that helps, Fred

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Comp View Post
    Hiya Lee, Ok on the 4066, I got a CD4066 from my local Maplins, (akin to your Radio Shack) just a few pence, and away mine went!!!I am building the IGSL, it doesn't have the disc/all metal switch, but I have seen wiring up details for that, on here somewhere,... If I spot them, I will post a link......

    As for the 5 pin plug/socket, I am also a radio ham, (G4ZWI), and as I plan to do my own coils, I am using a 5 pin plug and socket from a Yaesu ham radio, should be available your side of the pond,.. (The Tesero plugs wont fit it, of course!!!)

    Cheers, good luck with the project,... Fred
    What problems did you see/hear with the wrong 4066 please, I am suddenly VERY interested ! I read about voltages, mine seem to be correct, was that the only fault?
    Thanks
    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • Tepro
    replied
    Fyi for use 4 or 5 pins on the coil or boxyou can use an XLR they got 4 and 5 pin and they are firm on male/female sides its audio use but suites us fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • Comp
    replied
    Hiya Lee, Ok on the 4066, I got a CD4066 from my local Maplins, (akin to your Radio Shack) just a few pence, and away mine went!!!I am building the IGSL, it doesn't have the disc/all metal switch, but I have seen wiring up details for that, on here somewhere,... If I spot them, I will post a link......

    As for the 5 pin plug/socket, I am also a radio ham, (G4ZWI), and as I plan to do my own coils, I am using a 5 pin plug and socket from a Yaesu ham radio, should be available your side of the pond,.. (The Tesero plugs wont fit it, of course!!!)

    Cheers, good luck with the project,... Fred

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    And also - how did you connect your Disc/AM switch? I haven't been able to find an absolute answer anywhere on this thread. There's a bit of diconnect between the one schematic I've found that shows it and the circuit I'm using (I think) and I haven't been able to figure it out. Here's to a warmer day in your future!

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    Dang, Fred - That seems to be it!!! That is precisely what I had in U11 as well - it was the lone TI IC that came with the kit (no I did not source the parts on my own). I'm wondering if it snuck in there on accident. When she's out, I'm working with -5.99 volts. Fantastic - I was warming up for a long process of troubleshooting (I'm sure I'll still have it in one way or another though).

    I came across some of your posts on the 5 pin connector wire up earlier today - what did you end up with in the end? Are you running your pin 5 screen to the board ground through a 100k resistor like was suggested?

    Thanks for the reply!!!! I'd love to know more about your project.

    (1:44am here in Portland, 27 degrees F, could use some sun myself - been bathed in the flourescent glory of hospital life for 3 days!)

    Leave a comment:


  • Comp
    replied
    Nice work, Lee,... sounds as if you are getting there..Can I ask, did you buy a kit of parts, or did you get the components yourself??? The reason I ask is I sourced my own parts, and had exactly the same thing at power on, low negative volts, and it turned out to be the 4066, It needs to be a Cmos type, I had a 74HC4066, and it didnt like the plus 8, minus 6 volt supply range.

    Its easy to test if you have used sockets, just unplug the 4066, power up, and test the minus 6v line with it out.

    Best of luck with it, have fun, Fred (in Mansfield, 6.00 am, minus 6 C, and missing the sun!!!)

    Cheers, Fred
    (oh, and the negative supply is dependant on your oscillator, and therefore coil, can you check it is running somewhere near 14 Kcs????)
    Last edited by Comp; 02-04-2012, 05:06 AM. Reason: added osc statement

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    ... kHz that is ...

    Leave a comment:


  • lunarunderground
    replied
    It works!!!!!

    Not well, but it works! Working with 13.92 Hz and 6.88 Hz with an 8 inch 5 pin Tesoro coil. Close enough for jazz. Negative voltage is half (well, double) what it should be at 3ish volts - that's the first issue for me to tackle - let the research continue - but I'm tickled pink that she fired up at all. Thanks again to you all!

    And nice work bernte!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X