With Q5 in place I was getting a constant tone no matter how much I adjusted the offset / delay / threshold setup. These by the way are changing the tone coming out of the piezo going up and down in tone loudness and speed, so it appears the circuit itself is working to some extent.
However the tone never goes off completely, it doesnt even approach turning off the tone either.
I did find a problem on the first Baracuda board I had built I had a 270R in place of a 270K resistor and vice versa. I swapped these over and it still didnt work.
Removing Q5 didnt seem to help either, in fact the circuit stopped working altogether when it was removed. No tone no matter what I adjusted.
In the end I had to put a solder bridge across the three legs (posts) where it was in order to get the circuit to come to life again.
I tried both a commercial mono coil I have and a home built coil I have done following the instructions from the forums, this home made coil includes the shielding. Unfortunately I do not have the specs on the commercial coil.
I have now put both Baracuda kits I purchased together and both do not detect metal, well at least for me anyway.

I did add the SW1 to one of the PCB's and it did make a difference to the tone I got out of the piezo. It was still a constant tone though, it would never turn off or approach turning off.
I am a novice to electronics but have built other electronics kits succesfully in the recent past including etching my own PCB's and the regulated power supply I am using.
I have also tried running the circuits off a 9v battery and it made no difference.
On each test I have adjusted the voltage pin 6 on U2 and kept this monitored as I adjusted delay and offset values.
I have gone back over each board and checked all the components and they all now appear ok. As mentioned earlier I only found one pair of resistors that were wrong.
I must be doing something wrong but I dont know what it might be.
I have also purchased two Surf PI kits from Silverdog so I will now go off and try to build those and see if I have better luck.
Thank you everyone for your support and assistance it has been greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Grant


Leave a comment: