Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PI CHIP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    OK, I think I get the picture (heh heh heh). Actually, a "sandwich" type of layout would work well. Do you need the switches on a separate board, or would having them on the same plane as the LCD be OK? Either is fine, although a separate board would be cheaper to get made. But if you're doing it yourself, I'd recommend a simpler, two-board layout.

    So the whole thing has to fit within 70mm x 80mm, right? Are the standoff locations important, or just for illustration? And (almost) finally, do you want an ICSP function, or are you happy levering the chip out to reprogram it?

    Assuming moodz gives us his blessing, the only thing I'll need from you is your preferences for any unique components like headers and switches. I use some pretty standard switch footprints - those little coloured round-topped el cheapo wibbly-wobbly switches (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...SUBCATID=978#1), or some really fine C&K square jobs (blue bodies, white dimpled square keytops, sorry, I don't have the part number at my fingertips right now...). I have a bag of them I bought years ago, I can shoot you a handful if that'd help. Or I can design a new footprint, and I sure don't mind doing that!

    If you're happy with 200mil screw-in battery connectors (green, orange, or blue connectors like they use in burglar alarms and so on), that kind of more-or-less standard stuff, then that'll be quicker, but again, if you have a particular preference and can point me to a footprint, I'm always happy to improve my library!

    Sorry if this is complicating things. I don't want an unhappy client!
    -PtB

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Something similar to this where the LCD module sits on top of Microcontroller PCB and just below LCD on standoffs is the switch mounted pcb. All raised with standoffs.

    In this crappy drawing of mine the lcd should meet closer to the switch board as shown.
    I will post later tonight something in reality similar to get an idea what to look like.

    Rough dimension of the main PCB below is the length of the LCD Module x the width of LCD Module and switch PCB combined.

    Talking about the Maxim LED drivers...How many can be interfaced to the Raspberry in any given time??


    I got to step out now till later this evening and get back to you.
    Have a nice day till then.
    Cheers Sid

    Click image for larger version

Name:	unipiboardlayout.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	334931

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    Originally posted by sido View Post
    Hi Pete, that will be awesome, thanks. I think we should wait for Moodz approval as to okay it. I hope he dont mind?

    The last documented V300 by Moodz is post #144 dated 02-03-2012.
    A differential front-end PI design originated by Moodz and open for community development.

    No wuckers. You want the pulse driver revision. Cool.

    Originally posted by sido View Post
    That user interface sounds interesting. Maybe turn it into touch screen just to complicate things.
    My 400x240 LCD colour touch screen should be arriving Monday or Tuesday (along with my "TaiJuino" Due replacement)... I haven't tried dealing with a touch interface before. (I was trained in simple graphic layouts and, er, well, "knob-y"-type inputs...) I've also been badly spoiled by the iPad. I suspect multi-touch is going to be a PITA to implement on cheap Chinese resistive film, but then I'll never improve if something's not within my easy reach! (I do so love pain of that kind! ).

    Still, a touch menu and a finger slider shouldn't be too difficult to implement (Ha! "Shouldn't"!!)

    The only catch with touch interfaces are the wear and tear, especially out in the field with detectorists' grubby paws scratching the nice screen... That's why I start off with an IP67 knob and a bargraph, it suits my Neanderthal design skills, and tends to last much longer to boot. (Can you hear my knuckles dragging?). No offense to grubby-pawed detectorists, BTW. I are one myself.

    Originally posted by sido View Post
    I would say for now just a simple negative track layout that can be printed to scale and some guide to component placement.
    Nothing to fancy, just a neat versatile PI controller.
    Me? Fancy? Ha!. No problem, I'll do a scaled 1:1 neg for you. Do you have a size requirement? I'd rather you specify an approximate size (include the number and size of mounting holes you need too),

    Originally posted by sido View Post
    Good to know they do larger boards of that size. In the future, i may need you with compensation of course for a Matrix LED display board designed for that size. Will discuss that in due course if your interested.
    Mmmm...matrix LEDs...Mmmm... Actually, a chap on the Raspberry Pi forum asked me about the exact same sort of thing just the other day. He's after an I2C board with Maxim LED driver chips and so on. So yeah, when you're sorted out at your end, fire away. I'm really cheap.
    -PtB

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Hi Pete, that will be awesome, thanks. I think we should wait for Moodz approval as to okay it. I hope he dont mind?

    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    I'd be more than happy to do a board for the V300 UNIPI, no convincing needed! I'm assuming that's the schematic dated 28/08/2011 by moodz? It'll take me a couple of days, I have to get on my main system to do that, but I was planning to do that on Sunday anyway.
    The last documented V300 by Moodz is post #144 dated 02-03-2012.
    A differential front-end PI design originated by Moodz and open for community development.


    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    Erm, sorry for butting in like this, but I was interested in your comment about changing the TX parameters. Wouldn't it be easier to just use a pot on an ADC channel and use that to change the parameter (assuming you're changing just the pulse width; otherwise you'd need 2 pots, or 1 pot and 2 menu items, etc)? Please note, I'm looking at this from the point of view of some sort of user interface, which may not be appropriate... Speaking of which, I'd also think that you should be able to add the LCD to any spare pins, unless there aren't any?
    No worries there. Ment to say sample parameters can be altered via toggle switch viewed via the external LCD Module. Actually TX parameters can be altered also, Like Tx pulse width.

    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    Again, that's coming from someone who designs UIs of some kind into just about everything I can (and some things that I shouldn't )... The frankenproject uses a graphic LCD with a single pot and bargraphs representing all the various parameters - a bit like the Deus. That way, I can design all (or most) of the parameters I need to be able to change into the firmware at the start of things, and if I need to change them on the fly, I can, with no extra effort... at least, that's the theory...
    That user interface sounds interesting. Maybe turn it into touch screen just to complicate things.

    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    What d'you need for the UNIPI? Full board, just the gerbers, just a simple track layout?
    I would say for now just a simple negative track layout that can be printed to scale and some guide to component placement.
    Nothing to fancy, just a neat versatile PI controller.

    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    [EDIT] According to the futurlec PCB ordering site (http://www.futurlec.com.au/PCBService.jsp), they seem to be able to do at least 400x400mm, I didn't try putting in extra sizes. You can contact them directly if you like. I've seen one of their photos with a PCB blank that looks like about 1500mm wide!

    Thanks for mentioning me.
    -PtB
    Good to know they do larger boards of that size. In the future, i may need you with compensation of course for a Matrix LED display board designed for that size. Will discuss that in due course via PM if your interested.

    Okay see what you think of the UNIPI V300

    Cheers and thanks..
    Sid
    Last edited by sido; 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM. Reason: correction

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    Originally posted by sido View Post
    Thanks Moodz. I thought there would be other pins not mapped out they way you have programmed the 4011 I/O.

    I will have a look at the UNO32 board. So programming is done via USB? and what programming software do we use?

    Just noticed that every parameters that may need changing, have to be done via PC. No external LCD Module, no toggles like UNIPI 4011. So for field use, where for instance TX parameters may need to be changed, it would have to done only via a Laptop

    This is where i see the versatility of the 4011 UNIPI. Does not matter for experimental use if processing speed is not as fast as the UNO32 for now, I say the ease of altering parameters in field use is the way to go.

    Unless i can convince Pete PtB to produce the board layout for V300 UNIPI.
    BTW Pete, does ETT produce PCB's of 400mm x 400mm in size?


    Cheers Sid
    I'd be more than happy to do a board for the V300 UNIPI, no convincing needed! I'm assuming that's the schematic dated 28/08/2011 by moodz? It'll take me a couple of days, I have to get on my main system to do that, but I was planning to do that on Sunday anyway.

    Erm, sorry for butting in like this, but I was interested in your comment about changing the TX parameters. Wouldn't it be easier to just use a pot on an ADC channel and use that to change the parameter (assuming you're changing just the pulse width; otherwise you'd need 2 pots, or 1 pot and 2 menu items, etc)? Please note, I'm looking at this from the point of view of some sort of user interface, which may not be appropriate... Speaking of which, I'd also think that you should be able to add the LCD to any spare pins, unless there aren't any?

    Again, that's coming from someone who designs UIs of some kind into just about everything I can (and some things that I shouldn't )... The frankenproject uses a graphic LCD with a single pot and bargraphs representing all the various parameters - a bit like the Deus. That way, I can design all (or most) of the parameters I need to be able to change into the firmware at the start of things, and if I need to change them on the fly, I can, with no extra effort... at least, that's the theory...

    What d'you need for the UNIPI? Full board, just the gerbers, just a simple track layout?

    [EDIT] According to the futurlec PCB ordering site (http://www.futurlec.com.au/PCBService.jsp), they seem to be able to do at least 400x400mm, I didn't try putting in extra sizes. You can contact them directly if you like. I've seen one of their photos with a PCB blank that looks like about 1500mm wide!

    Thanks for mentioning me.
    -PtB
    Last edited by Pete the Builder; 02-08-2013, 09:05 PM. Reason: Bloody well forgot something again.

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Originally posted by moodz View Post
    Guys I had a look at this board and they have mapped the quadrature enoder ports across the LCD control ...... wouldn't you rather have the PIC32 chip on the UNO32 board ???? It runs nearly 8 times faster, serial through the USB and brick wall target filter ... I posted the hex code a few posts ago.... here is the basic schematic ( only the UNO32 ports shown ) ... the band pass filter is shown for the input to the ADC .... its verrrrrry niiiiiiiice.

    [ATTACH]23220[/ATTACH]
    Thanks Moodz. I thought there would be other pins not mapped out they way you have programmed the 4011 I/O.

    I will have a look at the UNO32 board. So programming is done via USB? and what programming software do we use?

    Just noticed that every parameters that may need changing, have to be done via PC. No external LCD Module, no toggles like UNIPI 4011. So for field use, where for instance TX parameters may need to be changed, it would have to done only via a Laptop

    This is where i see the versatility of the 4011 UNIPI. Does not matter for experimental use if processing speed is not as fast as the UNO32 for now, I say the ease of altering parameters in field use is the way to go.

    Unless i can convince Pete PtB to produce the board layout for V300 UNIPI.
    BTW Pete, does ETT produce PCB's of 400mm x 400mm in size?


    Cheers Sid
    Last edited by sido; 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM. Reason: added text

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    FWIW, I've bought quite a lot of stuff from this manufacturer (ETT, in Thailand, I think), and they are really reasonable quality boards. Heavy copper, good through-plating, and pretty solid.

    The only glitch I can see is that all their non-English gear comes only with Thai instructions and code examples. But if you're modifying an existing codebase, that won't be an issue. Just clear out the downloader in the supplied chip and flash the V300 modified code.

    Good sized board, too. That's about the format I usually make, but I use linear regs and so on, so it's not as efficient.

    [EDIT] The first thing I'd do is get rid of the bridge rectifier, and just connect up to the battery. They're just wasting power and dropping your working battery voltage. Just a thought!

    -PtB
    Hi Pete, I actually searched ETT from one of your earlier posts (naughty me) and came across this board from Thailand.
    You could bypass some parts.

    Anyway, they do look good quality boards they produce.

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Guys I had a look at this board and they have mapped the quadrature enoder ports across the LCD control ...... wouldn't you rather have the PIC32 chip on the UNO32 board ???? It runs nearly 8 times faster, serial through the USB and brick wall target filter ... I posted the hex code a few posts ago.... here is the basic schematic ( only the UNO32 ports shown ) ... the band pass filter is shown for the input to the ADC .... its verrrrrry niiiiiiiice.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	bspro.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	334913
    Last edited by moodz; 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot pic.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    FWIW, I've bought quite a lot of stuff from this manufacturer (ETT, in Thailand, I think), and they are really reasonable quality boards. Heavy copper, good through-plating, and pretty solid.

    The only glitch I can see is that all their non-English gear comes only with Thai instructions and code examples. But if you're modifying an existing codebase, that won't be an issue. Just clear out the downloader in the supplied chip and flash the V300 modified code.

    Good sized board, too. That's about the format I usually make, but I use linear regs and so on, so it's not as efficient.

    [EDIT] The first thing I'd do is get rid of the bridge rectifier, and just connect up to the battery. They're just wasting power and dropping your working battery voltage. Just a thought!

    -PtB
    Last edited by Pete the Builder; 02-07-2013, 07:24 AM. Reason: Added suggestion...

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    This board has external manual contrast control. Thats part of the difference as i think the V300 is user adjustable via program? Keeping the Lcd contrast software control of V300 would be better with some hardware mod on this board to remove the pot and add some link.

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Hi Moodz, that will be great if you can work around the below circuit with V300 or better software you may want to include.

    I mentioned it supports also the 2011 chip. Mistake on my part is supports the 2010 Dispic and 4011.

    If its to much modding, please let us know. I only had a quick look comparison with the V300 circuit you posted in the past which i believe was the last update.

    If you need more info, i can post the link to the Manufacturer. There is PDF with more details but mostly in a foreign language. If it can be done with no dramas on your behalf, it would make a high quality PCB designed with the best versatile PI controller software available. It will be just a matter of connecting the toggles and switches and mosfet switching circuits as per your circuit diagram.

    Btw, use existing 10Mhz crystal as per your schema and disregard the 7.xxx crystal supplied with board.

    Much appreciated Sid

    Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematics.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	334907Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematica.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	334908Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematicb.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	334909Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematicc.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	334910Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematicd.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	334911Click image for larger version

Name:	dispic4011schematice.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	334912
    Last edited by sido; 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM. Reason: added more info

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by sido View Post
    Hi all, seeing that we need timings as the heart of any detector which happens to be Moodz great designed PI controllers here, I have stumbled across a ready made professional designed in/output connection DisPIC4011 circuit board, retailing for $27 Au, minus delivery from you guessed it, Asia and comes with a chip fitted.

    It has a onboard 5v power supply utilizing a LM2575-5v regulator and 2 UART ports built around a MAX3232 chip. Has a connector dedicated for the LCD Module (middle of the picture) etc etc

    With slight modification (preferably software)....Moodz hint hint, this board can be adapted to the V300 PI controller as universal and would make a profesional working PI controller where V300 has 4 samples compared to the 4012 version with 2 samples.

    After comparing your base circuit V300 to this circuit layout, there is not much difference to pin assignment other than the Lcd module which seams 1 or 2 pins have been allocated to different pins as to yours. Some software code change may solve it or may need a small mod to circuit board.

    This board only works with Dispic4011 and 2011 variant as it has smaller ic socket buit in, between larger 4012 ic socket.

    For that price i think its a great deal and hopefully the noise factor generated is minimal than a open breadboard design

    So, would this be ideal as a PI controller using V300 software? what do you all think?

    Sid

    [ATTACH]23213[/ATTACH]
    If you post the circuit ... I will post the code.

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Hi all, seeing that we need timings as the heart of any detector which happens to be Moodz great designed PI controllers here, I have stumbled across a ready made professional designed in/output connection DisPIC4011 circuit board, retailing for $27 Au, minus delivery from you guessed it, Asia and comes with a chip fitted.

    It has a onboard 5v power supply utilizing a LM2575-5v regulator and 2 UART ports built around a MAX3232 chip. Has a connector dedicated for the LCD Module (middle of the picture) etc etc

    With slight modification (preferably software)....Moodz hint hint, this board can be adapted to the V300 PI controller as universal and would make a profesional working PI controller where V300 has 4 samples compared to the 4012 version with 2 samples.

    After comparing your base circuit V300 to this circuit layout, there is not much difference to pin assignment other than the Lcd module which seams 1 or 2 pins have been allocated to different pins as to yours. Some software code change may solve it or may need a small mod to circuit board.

    This board only works with Dispic4011 and 2011 variant as it has smaller ic socket buit in, between larger 4012 ic socket.

    For that price i think its a great deal and hopefully the noise factor generated is minimal than a open breadboard design

    So, would this be ideal as a PI controller using V300 software? what do you all think?

    Sid

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dispic4011.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	334906

    Leave a comment:


  • sido
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete the Builder View Post
    Hi all,

    Just my $0.02...

    If anyone wants a 1:1 layout of Moodz' layout, I'd be delighted to help out. I'm cheap (as in free) but good. PM me if you are interested. I'll be hanging around for a few months at least, so don't be shy.

    Oh, forgot to say, I'm happy to add ground planes, etc, if anyone wishes. Ditto if you can only get alternative packages for any of the components. Least I can do.

    I hope this might be useful for someone interested in this cool little project.

    Cheers,
    Pete
    Hi Pete, welcome to the forum, many circuits to tinker with and read about.

    Which Moodz circuit layout are you refering too?

    Sid

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete the Builder
    replied
    Free Offer!

    Hi all,

    Just my $0.02...

    If anyone wants a 1:1 layout of Moodz' layout, I'd be delighted to help out. I'm cheap (as in free) but good. PM me if you are interested. I'll be hanging around for a few months at least, so don't be shy.

    Oh, forgot to say, I'm happy to add ground planes, etc, if anyone wishes. Ditto if you can only get alternative packages for any of the components. Least I can do.

    I hope this might be useful for someone interested in this cool little project.

    Cheers,
    Pete

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X