Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGSL - EDU , new boards and kits

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by gsignal888 View Post
    Just done soldering the board last night.

    I am now debating on using the IC sockets that came with the kit or get the more expensive Augat style sockets that some of the people are using.

    Are there any benefits using the Augat sockets?
    I used the cheaper type sockets in my first project and although worked ok still had that nagging feeling that something was amiss.
    Fit best quality you can get your hands on, but ideally ics should be soldered directly onto pcb.
    Only problem with that is of course if you got a duff ic you need to desolder it which is a pain the ***.
    Im in middle of second TGSL assembly and thinking of using all ics from working first project and solder directly.

    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • gsignal888
    replied
    Just done soldering the board last night.

    I am now debating on using the IC sockets that came with the kit or get the more expensive Augat style sockets that some of the people are using.

    Are there any benefits using the Augat sockets?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • kliner
    replied
    No, it's all done for you!

    Leave a comment:


  • gsignal888
    replied
    I am soldering up the board tonight after looking at the pics of older green boards, people had to solder jumpers. On this black board it appears jumpers are already there along with plate-throughs.

    Do I still need to solder jumpers on these newer boards?

    Leave a comment:


  • gsignal888
    replied
    Just got my kit today. Thanks Silverdog. That was quick all to the way to Canada!

    Kudos on labeling all the resistor values. The board is beautiful.

    Do I use that tiny buzzer in the kit in place of a larger speaker?

    Just a suggestion for your future boards to possibly mounting holes on the corners for stand-offs.

    I will begin building asap.

    Leave a comment:


  • gsignal888
    replied
    Originally posted by silverdog View Post
    apologies for the late reply, busy weekend

    Yes you can replace the GB pot with an external
    The 10k sensitivity pot does not include a switch but I do supply a spst on/off switch
    I am looking into finding a supplier of switched pots
    The parts list does not show pot knobs but I tend to supply them as long as I have them myself (let me know if you want a refund on these, or spare knobs)

    regards

    Silverdog
    If you check your orders, mine should be in there for a TGSL-EDU kit, three knobs and two tails going to Canada.

    I will keep the knobs because they look nice , I can use them on another project.

    No problem, I have spare spst switches on the bench.

    Look forward to the build.

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • silverdog
    replied
    Originally posted by gsignal888 View Post
    Hello Silverdog,

    I am placing an order for this kit as I am looking at this post.

    After going over the parts list and looking at the schematics and the picture of the assembled board, I noticed that the GB pot is PC soldered. Can I use an external 100K to adjust the GB in the field?

    Does the sensitivity 10K pot include a on/off switch or do I need to get a separate toggle for power.

    The parts list does not show knobs. Are they included, if not I will order them as well.

    I already have a pending in place on your site, just need to know so I can send the funds.

    Thanks

    PS. Are the two tone boards available to order as well?
    apologies for the late reply, busy weekend

    Yes you can replace the GB pot with an external
    The 10k sensitivity pot does not include a switch but I do supply a spst on/off switch
    I am looking into finding a supplier of switched pots
    The parts list does not show pot knobs but I tend to supply them as long as I have them myself (let me know if you want a refund on these, or spare knobs)

    regards

    Silverdog

    Leave a comment:


  • gsignal888
    replied
    Originally posted by silverdog View Post
    New TGSL-EDU boards and kits are available in my shop www.silverdog.co.uk

    These are lovely looking boards, black with GOLDEN solder pads

    As the previous TGSL thread is now 180 pages long I think this new thread is needed to keep posts relevant to this EDU version in one place
    If someone has a schmeatic, or useful info for this verison please post here.

    regards

    Silverdog
    Hello Silverdog,

    I am placing an order for this kit as I am looking at this post.

    After going over the parts list and looking at the schematics and the picture of the assembled board, I noticed that the GB pot is PC soldered. Can I use an external 100K to adjust the GB in the field?

    Does the sensitivity 10K pot include a on/off switch or do I need to get a separate toggle for power.

    The parts list does not show knobs. Are they included, if not I will order them as well.

    I already have a pending in place on your site, just need to know so I can send the funds.

    Thanks

    PS. Are the two tone boards available to order as well?

    Leave a comment:


  • hugo
    replied
    TGSL - TS1000 Minelab piggyback PCB

    Hello,
    Here is the small PCB I've routed to mod the TGSL-EDU from Tesoro coil to Minelab coil.
    I haven't tested it yet (Just did it on a test board and it works fine).
    The board fit the top left area of the TGSL PCB.
    It's connected to three holes : +8V, GND and the left hole of the 22n capacitor.
    It would be safer to insert a small piece of cardboard between the two PCBs in order to avoid short circuits.

    Voila,
    Hugo
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    ahh the common shielding error
    i know that

    want a video

    put link here http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17538

    Leave a comment:


  • compadre
    replied
    Originally posted by compadre View Post
    Hy Bernte_one,
    i already try to shild the pots, proplem ist not when i change some functions its only when i touch with hand ,a pot or a switch or the battery or some metal components
    all other functions work perfekt.
    hy,
    now everything is ok i only connect the shild wire to the conector to the coil

    Leave a comment:


  • compadre
    replied
    Originally posted by bernte_one View Post
    maybe it is not the correct answer but i think thats normal if you change some functions at this detector it makes a short beep
    other possibilitiy is that you not use a plastic knob on potentiometer
    when you put it in a box use a metal box and connect coil shield to it makes it more stable increase performance

    i´m waiting for the video
    Hy Bernte_one,
    i already try to shild the pots, proplem ist not when i change some functions its only when i touch with hand ,a pot or a switch or the battery or some metal components
    all other functions work perfekt.

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    maybe it is not the correct answer but i think thats normal if you change some functions at this detector it makes a short beep
    other possibilitiy is that you not use a plastic knob on potentiometer
    when you put it in a box use a metal box and connect coil shield to it makes it more stable increase performance

    i´m waiting for the video

    Leave a comment:


  • compadre
    replied
    Originally posted by compadre View Post
    Hy
    i have a other little proplem on my Tgsl when i touch a pot or a switch i get a beeb, most in all metall mode pcb is not in a box
    thanks for help compadre
    the same when i touch the battery where is the proplem?

    Leave a comment:


  • compadre
    replied
    Hy
    i have a other little proplem on my Tgsl when i touch a pot or a switch i get a beeb, most in all metall mode pcb is not in a box
    thanks for help compadre

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X