Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICKINI V4 - an easy to build, self adjusting PI detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SaltyDog
    replied
    I have started my thread here --> https://www.geotech1.com/forums/show...Metal-detector

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    many thanks ....

    Bernard, thanks for putting up with my modifications to your original design/thread, but it is time now to start my own thread, so will no longer clutter yours .. even if it is related ..

    One last note in this thread:
    I have a row of 5 LED's on my FPGA board and each LED is mapped to a metal type, works very well ... seems to give more information than purely tone.
    I do have tone for target detection though, then just a glance down to see what metal it is ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Arionas
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	block_diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	356921
    Originally posted by SaltyDog View Post
    ... and here is a rough block-diagram of what I have implemented in the FPGA ..

    [ATTACH]49851[/ATTACH]

    .. oops sorry it is upside down

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    What I think he means is which specific board, when you google it there lots of different prices and boards

    AH, well I am doing development on the Lattice board, but I intend using the TinyFPGA BX board located here: https://github.com/tinyfpga/TinyFPGA-BX
    The board is only $30

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by SaltyDog View Post
    Hi, as mentioned earlier, I am using an Lattice ICE40HX8K....so far have only used 35% of the 8k LUT's.

    What I think he means is which specific board, when you google it there lots of different prices and boards

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by useus View Post
    which fpga do you work with?
    Hi, as mentioned earlier, I am using an Lattice ICE40HX8K....so far have only used 35% of the 8k LUT's.

    Leave a comment:


  • useus
    replied
    Originally posted by SaltyDog View Post
    ... and here is a rough block-diagram of what I have implemented in the FPGA ..

    [ATTACH]49851[/ATTACH]

    .. oops sorry it is upside down
    which fpga do you work with?

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    It is very nice to have a block diagram of the circuit.

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    ... and here is a rough block-diagram of what I have implemented in the FPGA ..

    Click image for larger version

Name:	block_diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	356905

    .. oops sorry it is upside down

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    Further update:

    I have managed to extract a metal Id number for each metal type.

    Gold and silver and stainless steel come under one Id,
    Iron is another,
    Lead is another

    I haven't tried any other metals just yet ..

    I will be mapping these to tones for in the field, as I want minimum controls, I envisage only a threshold adjustment, and maybe a pin-point button..

    Cheers

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    Originally posted by dbanner View Post
    Well done satlydog.

    This is my machine which detects only gold and ignores all other metals. Notice the dual slopes on either side of the centre sample point which is curved at the top. I am looking to apply for a patent for my device, though it suspiciously resembles but not to be mistaken with another device which is in common everyday use. This is entirely different beast.

    A little humor to break the monotony of the quarantine, spirits are sagging over here.

    Hehehehehe .... Hahahahahah ...

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    @SaltyDog,,,,,Well done! I've been following this thread since it began in 2016 and Bernard's Pickini is near the top of the list as one of my favourite Homemade PCB's,,,looking forward to seeing forth coming results with your experiments,,,Good luck,,, eagerly awaiting! Regards, Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Well done satlydog.

    This is my machine which detects only gold and ignores all other metals. Notice the dual slopes on either side of the centre sample point which is curved at the top. I am looking to apply for a patent for my device, though it suspiciously resembles but not to be mistaken with another device which is in common everyday use. This is entirely different beast.

    A little humor to break the monotony of the quarantine, spirits are sagging over here.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Well done

    Leave a comment:


  • SaltyDog
    replied
    UPDATE my friends ..

    I have managed to detect my gold wedding band (worn very thin) at 200mm AND discriminate that it is gold. (All on a fairly standard coil)
    I can now if I want, eliminate everything except gold .. AND still detect it at depth, which I could not do yesterday .. yahoo ...

    I have managed this with judicious use of technology including FIR and IIR filters, and dual detection slopes ..
    (one for sensitivity and one for discrimination)

    I am still using the MPP board for this ... only connection is the pre-amp output (it is a dual pre-amp design) ignoring the rest of the circuit, and also using a Lattice ICE40HX8k FPGA.
    I havn't even got offset control at the moment, that could make it even better in the field ..

    All in all an excellent day ...

    Bernard .. thank you for your excellent idea's, but I think I have crashed your thread enough, time to start my own, as this is a quite different beast now.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X