Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dbanner
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    If ever the inductance indication ever seems unstable... change the battery... ask me how I know!!! With a good battery the indication is rock stable and accurate.

    "ask me how I know"

    If I had to wager a guess, it took you down a toroid winding "dark alley", into the twilght zone.

    Thanks for your opinion JL. much appreciated.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by dbanner View Post
    Bingo! Thanks JL, good to know the inductance measurements are accurate and reliable. The "tilt-up" screen is ideal for my lab bench (the kitchen table).

    Wow, that is fantastic price! I should get a pair of those.
    If ever the inductance indication ever seems unstable... change the battery... ask me how I know!!! With a good battery the indication is rock stable and accurate.

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Bingo! Thanks JL, good to know the inductance measurements are accurate and reliable. The "tilt-up" screen is ideal for my lab bench (the kitchen table).

    Wow, that is fantastic price! I should get a pair of those.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by dbanner View Post
    KingJl, what is your impression of the DM4070 lcr meter. I wanted to get one of those because it is really good price for the range of functions, and I like the fact that is has no Auto-ranging, somehow I prefer old selector range switching. The lcd readout digits also look bigger than the average meter, useful feature when the eyes are no longer what they once were, as in my case.
    I got my BM4070 2 years ago and have been quite happy with it. I mainly got it because of the inductance measurement capability. I have cross checked it with more sophisticated measurement techniques and the results that the BM4070 gives has been consistent with those other methods. And I wholeheartedly agree with you about the usefulness of the large LCD readout.


    Do you have the model where the LCD screen can swivel at an angle? That's the one I wanted but I can't seem to find that model anymore.
    Yes!

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    About a year or so ago, I bagged a bulk sale of 4000' of some military spec wire that had some specs that I found appealing and thought it might be good for coils. Previously, I had made a coil for my VMH3CS that with it. The specs are 24AWG, 12 strand, tinned copper, outer diameter 1.04mm (0.041"). This coil was wound on a 10.25" form, 21 turns, and covered with 0.25" spiral wrap.

    Inductance was measured with BM4070 LCR meter, frequency measured with Hantek 2D72. The Hantek 2D72 AWG function was used to excite the coil with a 1kHz 2V P-P square wave, 5% duty cycle though a 10pf capacitor. Used the Hantek 2D72 Scope function w/10x 100MHz probe to measure the frequency of the oscillations. Capacitance was calculated by ElectrDroid using inductance and frequency measurements.


    KingJl, what is your impression of the DM4070 lcr meter. I wanted to get one of those because it is really good price (cheap-o, good for dropping on the floor without too much regret) for the range of functions, and I like the fact that is has no Auto-ranging, somehow I prefer old selector range switching. The lcd readout digits also look bigger than the average meter, useful feature when the eyes are no longer what they once were, as in my case.


    Do you have the model where the LCD screen can swivel at an angle? That's the one I wanted but I can't seem to find that model anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • bklein
    replied
    Wow, thanks, I wasn’t aware of those item - I’ll check them out.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by bklein View Post
    What are you using for wire, capacitance, and freq. measurement technique?
    I?d like to duplicate your efforts.
    About a year or so ago, I bagged a bulk sale of 4000' of some military spec wire that had some specs that I found appealing and thought it might be good for coils. Previously, I had made a coil for my VMH3CS that with it. The specs are 24AWG, 12 strand, tinned copper, outer diameter 1.04mm (0.041"). This coil was wound on a 10.25" form, 21 turns, and covered with 0.25" spiral wrap.

    Inductance was measured with BM4070 LCR meter, frequency measured with Hantek 2D72. The Hantek 2D72 AWG function was used to excite the coil with a 1kHz 2V P-P square wave, 5% duty cycle though a 10pf capacitor. Used the Hantek 2D72 Scope function w/10x 100MHz probe to measure the frequency of the oscillations. Capacitance was calculated by ElectrDroid using inductance and frequency measurements.

    Leave a comment:


  • bklein
    replied
    What are you using for wire, capacitance, and freq. measurement technique?
    I’d like to duplicate your efforts.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... Still need to wind a mono coil for testing. Target parameters for the coil are 10.25" diam, 320 uH, 1.5 ohm...
    Went ahead and wound a 10.25 ID" coil... results (coil only, unshielded) are 21 turns, 319.5uH, 1.4ohms, 90pf, 938kHz. I think i'll keep it!

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    With the latest additions (single board design/no transformers) this project turns out to be very interesting. Keep up the good work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    For your form (eliptical 300x200) what is the circular coil diameter that fits the form/shell? If I know that, I will make my test coil that diameter and just fit it in.
    Diameter would be 233-236 mm winding center to allow for any shielding, no shielding, you could go out to 242-245 mm winding centre (both allowing for insulated or Litz wire)

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    I will send you some 300 x 200 elliptical versions when I do the new batch. Hoping to finish of the forms over next few weeks and do some test runs and tweak the process.
    For your form (eliptical 300x200) what is the circular coil diameter that fits the form/shell? If I know that, I will make my test coil that diameter and just fit it in.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    I would like a 300mm size (to me 300mm seems ideal), but I have no available forms/shells for that size... I am relegated to 10" or 15" (which is a bit too large).
    I will send you some 300 x 200 elliptical versions when I do the new batch. Hoping to finish of the forms over next few weeks and do some test runs and tweak the process.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    With the current timings, DAMP might be significantly late (like anywhere from 250ns to 1usec too late). I have a new version of the Vivado files that I can release where the DAMP timing is parameterized and can be set in the block design and then regenerate and export the bitstream for the SDK. One of the first software targets will be to automate the DAMP timing setting.
    Ok, thanks for the heads up, sounds great.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... I have wound a mono 300 mm coil at around the same specs 328uH 1.7 ohms ready for testing...
    I would like a 300mm size (to me 300mm seems ideal), but I have no available forms/shells for that size... I am relegated to 10" or 15" (which is a bit too large).

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X