Originally posted by Mdtoday
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End
Collapse
X
-
I like the way it is turning out... I especially like the way it is working out with the A7 plugin. I populated the I/F board with the 48 pin IC socket and was not pleased with the gap between the socket and the A7 board, so I populated an I/F board with two 24 pin singe row header sockets. It gave protection to the 48 pins, but stands a little high by my standards. The sub-enclosure that you designed takes care of that problem and I can use the 48 pin IC socket as planned.Originally posted by Mdtoday View PostNot really, I allowed 1 mm clearance around the board edges and when I did the extrude then the opening cuts, it has picked up one of the construction lines in the drawing, I will fix that up along with a few other bits and pieces.
Let me know if you spot anything else that looks odd or you would like to change
I plan on using 2 pin female, 100 mil pitch, connectors on each of the coil wire sets (TX and RX) and a 3 pin female (again 100 mil pitch) for the 5V, 20V, and GND. That way it will be easy to attach extensions if needed when having to lay the unit out for troubleshooting. A hole, to facilitate ref voltage adjustment, will be required on the bottom (or top depending on your perspective).
Leave a comment:
-
-
Not required, I allowed 1 mm clearance around the board edges and when I did the extrude then the opening cuts, it has picked up one of the construction lines in the drawing, I will fix that up tonight along with a few other bits and pieces.Originally posted by KingJL View PostAre the offsets under the Pmod openings needed? I think that they could interfere with getting good Pmod connection.
Once I get the PMOD modules I will double check on fitment and clearance to be sure its all good.
Let me know if you spot anything else that looks odd or you would like to change
Leave a comment:
-
That's a good kit, thanks for the heads up, great value.Originally posted by KingJL View PostI like it... I like it! Last year I picked this kit up for my projects... in fact I am using them now to provide support the board assembly for testing. You might be able to use one of the 6mm spacers from the kit. I forgot to add them when I did the PCB layout, but I had intended to put 3 through hole pads (2 on the opposite edge from the connector and 1 on the connector edge but away from the connector) on both boards so that solid wire could be soldered between the boards, providing support for the two boards... again somewhat like the Vallon. I hate to keep referring to the Vallon, but they did a lot of things right!
Yes, the Vallon is a well thought out detector, I rebuilt my unit so had the chance to check everything out as I went.
The angle of the the main enclosure/arm I have been working on was based on the Vallon as I found it quite comfortable.
Leave a comment:
-
Are the offsets under the Pmod openings needed? I think that they could interfere with getting good Pmod connection.Originally posted by Mdtoday View PostAdded 6 mm pillars to lid and base, another 4 x 6 mm hex spacers will be required between IF and TX boards.
Finished height of enclosure can be adjusted to suit the 4 inductors which I have yet to check, may require another 2 mm but its a easy adjustment
[ATTACH]47041[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]47042[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]47043[/ATTACH]
Last picture shows cut-away view
[ATTACH]47044[/ATTACH]
cheers
Mdtoday
Leave a comment:
-
I like it... I like it! Last year I picked this kit up for my projects... in fact I am using them now to provide support the board assembly for testing. You might be able to use one of the 6mm spacers from the kit. I forgot to add them when I did the PCB layout, but I had intended to put 3 through hole pads (2 on the opposite edge from the connector and 1 on the connector edge but away from the connector) on both boards so that solid wire could be soldered between the boards, providing support for the two boards... again somewhat like the Vallon. I hate to keep referring to the Vallon, but they did a lot of things right!Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post... another 4 x 6 mm hex spacers will be required between IF and TX boards...
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks and yes, that's a good point about spraying the nickel on the outside.Originally posted by KingJL View PostLooking good! I think I would prefer the nickel sprayed on the outside. That way I can use fabric emi tape to seal edges and easily attach grounding wire... but that is minor. It doesn't affect the sub-enclosure, but when I get the parts in, I will fabricate the probe switch sub board, to get an idea of the location issues.
What I have to do is locate the holes for power and signal wires from TX board, they can be drilled but its better to add in if we can, when its gets close to that time just let me know preferences and I'll finish it off.
Do you have a 3D printer JL ? If not I'll print some off and send when required.
Leave a comment:
-
Looking good! I think I would prefer the nickel sprayed on the outside. That way I can use fabric emi tape to seal edges and easily attach grounding wire... but that is minor. It doesn't affect the sub-enclosure, but when I get the parts in, I will fabricate the probe switch sub board, to get an idea of the location issues.Originally posted by Mdtoday View PostJL, is this the sort of sub-enclosure you were thinking of?
[ATTACH]47038[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47039[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47040[/ATTACH]
3D printing/nickel sprayed on inside for shielding
It is designed with small flanges which will slide into ribs on side wall of main enclosure.
PCBs held in place with spacers and screws through bottom of sub-enclosure then into small pillars on lid.
Not sure if you wanted A7 inside enclosure, this can be adjusted easily.
Bits and pieces like supports for power supply boards can be added if required.
cheers
Mdtoday
Leave a comment:
-
Added 6 mm pillars to lid and base, another 4 x 6 mm hex spacers will be required between IF and TX boards.
Finished height of enclosure can be adjusted to suit the 4 inductors which I have yet to check, may require another 2 mm but its a easy adjustment
Last picture shows cut-away view
cheers
Mdtoday
Leave a comment:
-
JL, is this the sort of sub-enclosure you were thinking of?
3D printing/nickel sprayed on inside for shielding
It is designed with small flanges which will slide into ribs on side wall of main enclosure.
PCBs held in place with spacers and screws through bottom of sub-enclosure then into small pillars on lid.
Not sure if you wanted A7 inside enclosure, this can be adjusted easily.
Bits and pieces like supports for power supply boards can be added if required.
cheers
Mdtoday
Leave a comment:
-
Userinput module modified to support probe switch
I just modified the userinput module so that we can control the probe switch. Added the AXI4 bus that is needed to communicate from the embedded processor to the userinput module; removed the GB switch input as we will be using the menu system to initiate GB; added an output port to control the probe switch.
An updated project archive and block design will be posted later in the week. I have initiated a "Change Log" that will be posted with the project archive that will summarize changes that occurred in each archive version going forward (it will also be included in the archive).
The plan is to start programming the system now that all of the interfaces have been proven.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: