Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Picky... picky... picky! I have adjusted those as much as possible... should be clearer now. Also added 5V to pin 19 & 20 of J9 to support my intended FPGA interface ( will post that board shortly ),
    Haha, yeah, Just thought while you are at it..

    Your gonna hate me....C3 txt needs a shuffle... I'll shut up now

    Click image for larger version

Name:	C3 txt.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	354072

    Ok on the 5v to J9 sounds like a good idea.

    Will be interesting to see your FPGA when you get to it.

    Thanks again for sharing.

    Cheers

    Mdtoday
    Last edited by Mdtoday; 05-07-2019, 03:55 AM. Reason: added pic

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Artix-7 Interface Board

    I plan to use the Artix-7 FPGA to genetrate the timing and post-process the pre-amp output ( https://store.digilentinc.com/cmod-a...7-fpga-module/ ). I have developed an interface board that will piggy back off of J9 and will accept the Artix-7 board. I already have the Arty S7 development board that I have been using to develop the logic modules and interface them to the microblaze embedded upc core. The Kicad files for the interface board:
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... The only other very minor thing is top overlay, some resistor markings (R32,R33 etc) overrunning transformer solder pads and C3 moved up.
    Picky... picky... picky! I have adjusted those as much as possible... should be clearer now. Also added 5V to pin 19 & 20 of J9 to support my intended FPGA interface ( will post that board shortly ),
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    I have (I think) changed all of the 0.127mm tracks to 0.254. It took a bit of rerouting (especially around J9 ). Here are the updated files:
    Nice work, yeah, that looks good.

    The only other very minor thing is top overlay, some resistor markings (R32,R33 etc) overrunning transformer solder pads and C3 moved up.
    I have attached pic but didn't post the KICAD files not to be lazy but rather just to have one set of originals.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Overlay_Markup_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	354065


    cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by bklein View Post
    Zener and driver pn?s seem to be EOL. Likely replacements but not sure for form factor.
    Not sure which drivers you are referencing. If is the MOSFET drivers, I already have them. They are also available on ebay.

    Leave a comment:


  • bklein
    replied
    Zener and driver pn’s seem to be EOL. Likely replacements but not sure for form factor.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... the only comment I would make is the track width on some nets is a bit narrow for my liking (TX_A) for instance but still looks OK as is.
    The only reason I mention it is that during protototyping stages, the finer tracks attached to say S08 footprint pads tend break a little more often than .25mm> tracks with parts being soldered/desoldered and the low weight copper cladding combination...
    I have (I think) changed all of the 0.127mm tracks to 0.254. It took a bit of rerouting (especially around J9 ). Here are the updated files:
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    I was considering getting some boards made also. With JLCPCB, I can get 5ea 4 layer 10cmX5cm for <$25 US, 10ea 10cmx5cm <$30. I need to recheck everything first.
    That's a reasonable price. PCBway is about the same.

    I had a look over your PCB design and it looks fine, the only comment I would make is the track width on some nets is a bit narrow for my liking (TX_A) for instance but still looks OK as is.
    The only reason I mention it is that during protototyping stages, the finer tracks attached to say S08 footprint pads tend break a little more often than .25mm> tracks with parts being soldered/desoldered and the low weight copper cladding combination.

    Anyways, I'll wait a couple days , have another look over it and then order some boards if it still looks ok...


    cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    I was considering getting some boards made also. With JLCPCB, I can get 5ea 4 layer 10cmX5cm for <$25 US, 10ea 10cmx5cm <$30. I need to recheck everything first.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Looking good and nice work KingJL, thanks for sharing.
    I'll have a good look over it and comment if I have questions or spot something.
    If it all looks Ok, I might get some boards done through PCBway as I'd be interested in trying the design out

    Again thanks for sharing

    cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Updated Design Files

    I had to slightly change the two of the footprints for C21 & C22 (they are ceramic SMD 200V which did not come in a 1206 package) PCB layout and change C13 & C14 to non-polarized capacitors (although the footprints did not change. This resulted in an update to the schematic, the board, the Gerber files, and the BOM. They all have been updated and are included below:
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Bill of Materials

    Here is the BOM generated by Kicad:
    TX-BOM.zip

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Updated my Kicad schematic... now to redo the board layout.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]46189[/ATTACH]
    Board layout done. The layout is on a 4 layer board 5cm x 10cm. Schematic and Board were created with Kicad 5.1.2.
    3D views:
    top
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-3D(top).png
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	354015
    bottom
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-3D(bottom).png
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	354014
    top perspective
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-3D(top perspective).png
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	354013
    bottom perspective
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TX-3D(bottom perspective).png
Views:	1
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	354012


    Kicad files and gerbers:
    Kicad_TX.zip
    TX-Gerbers.zip

    updated schematic pdf
    Kicad schematic.pdf

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Updated my Kicad schematic... now to redo the board layout.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]46189[/ATTACH]
    Looking good, thanks for sharing

    cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Great work JL King, looks like you have some original ideas in the design. Thanks to your Vallon report, I have a working proto of a modified version of the VHCS3 Tx. I don't want to step on your thread so I won't post it here.

    Thanks again for sharing your work.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X