Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    JL, are we using the slide switch on the PMOD encoder module?
    No!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    JL, are we using the slide switch on the PMOD encoder module?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Further progress on the normal display and the Main Menu. The normal display is the display for normal operation of the metal detector. It consists of 7 lines of information on a black background: Line 1 shows the current PRT setting; line 2 is blank; line 3 is the current sample 1 timing; line 4 is a bargraph that show the sample 1 signal strength and varies with what is received; line 5 shows the current sample 2 timing; line 6 is a bargraph that show the sample 2 signal strength and varies with what is received; line 7 is labeled "Sens" (sensitivity); line 8 is a bargraph of the current sensitivity setting.

    The colors are a bit off... line 4 and 6 consist of solid green square characters... line 8 consists of solid red squares. In the current code the S1 and S2 signal levels are simulated as we are not yet connected to the TX/RX PCB.

    The Main Menu consists of 10 selections arranged in 2 columns. The font color is green with a black background for all selections except the current highlighted selection which consistes of black letters on a green background.
    Main menu:
    Looking very good!

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    More displays and menus

    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    This week, the OLEDrgb test code was removed and the Main Menu was developed. The menu display is working as desired, and some of the functions have been programmed (probe/search coil switching actions, ground balance request. In the coming week the normal display will be sorted out and the Maintenance Menu will be completed. The software and FPGA hardware definitions are to the point that I need to focus on populating the PCB so that the design can start testing of the TX and Pre-amp circuitry.

    The current block design:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47094[/ATTACH]

    The current project archive is Vivado_Pipolar_PI(8-11-2019).zip.
    Further progress on the normal display and the Main Menu. The normal display is the display for normal operation of the metal detector. It consists of 7 lines of information on a black background: Line 1 shows the current PRT setting; line 2 is blank; line 3 is the current sample 1 timing; line 4 is a bargraph that show the sample 1 signal strength and varies with what is received; line 5 shows the current sample 2 timing; line 6 is a bargraph that show the sample 2 signal strength and varies with what is received; line 7 is labeled "Sens" (sensitivity); line 8 is a bargraph of the current sensitivity setting.
    Normal Display: Click image for larger version

Name:	normal display(2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	354655
    The colors are a bit off... line 4 and 6 consist of solid green square characters... line 8 consists of solid red squares. In the current code the S1 and S2 signal levels are simulated as we are not yet connected to the TX/RX PCB.

    The Main Menu consists of 10 selections arranged in 2 columns. The font color is green with a black background for all selections except the current highlighted selection which consistes of black letters on a green background.
    Main menu:Click image for larger version

Name:	MainMenu(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	955.2 KB
ID:	354654

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    One other option is to make our own cables. The only one that uses the full pmod is the OLED display. I picked up this kit a while back to help with issues like that and we can use this wire for the full pmod connector. Also a through hole 90 degree pmod socket can also be used as a 90 degree adapter.

    BTW: The latest code will not display the OLED test message. But, in conjunction with the encoder plugged into the top row of J4 (pins 1-6), will display the main menu if the pushbutton is depressed. Once a selection is made depress the pushbutton again for re-entry into the menu. That code is still a work in progress.
    Yes, that kit looks the goods, thanks, I have good access and stock of wires and crimps etc so making harnesses is good option at least for me.
    I will get time tomorrow to make up an interface board just for bench testing with encoder and display but I did load your latest code with just display connected to have a quick look tonight.
    Thanks for the info, I'll will do some more drawings with measurements of both enclosures and post later tomorrow too.
    I have added the PMOD OLED 3d model to front panel design and should have at least a draft to show soon.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_FP_OLED1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	354653
    The issue of the connector on that module can be turned into a positive and we won't need to change anything on the module itself if my measurement are correct.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    The PMOD connectors on the link cables are quite bulky with the heat-shrink, that's an easy fix but surprised me... We could put pin headers on the IF board for the enclosure I have designed and while not conforming to PMOD strictly, it would fix an issue of space in the main enclosure...
    One other option is to make our own cables. The only one that uses the full pmod is the OLED display. I picked up this kit a while back to help with issues like that and we can use this wire for the full pmod connector. Also a through hole 90 degree pmod socket can also be used as a 90 degree adapter.

    BTW: The latest code will not display the OLED test message. But, in conjunction with the encoder plugged into the top row of J4 (pins 1-6), will display the main menu if the pushbutton is depressed. Once a selection is made depress the pushbutton again for re-entry into the menu. That code is still a work in progress.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    OLED, encoders, cables arrived today, so thought I had better test it to make sure I didn't have a dud OLED which has happened to me in the past.
    Not this one works fine, thanks for the test code JL.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	OLed tst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	354650

    Also, had a quick look at you latest code, fired it up and the menu system looks great too, nice green!

    Now back to the enclosure work!

    cheers

    Mdtoday
    Last edited by Mdtoday; 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM. Reason: comment

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    This week, the OLEDrgb test code was removed and the Main Menu was developed. The menu display is working as desired, and some of the functions have been programmed (probe/search coil switching actions, ground balance request. In the coming week the normal display will be sorted out and the Maintenance Menu will be completed. The software and FPGA hardware definitions are to the point that I need to focus on populating the PCB so that the design can start testing of the TX and Pre-amp circuitry.
    Nice work JL, looking really good, thanks for sharing.
    Great timing too, the OLED and encoder modules were delivered today and I see what you mean about the display module connector....I think I have a solution to that, will work on it tonight and post.
    The PMOD connectors on the link cables are quite bulky with the heat-shrink, that's an easy fix but surprised me.
    We could put pin headers on the IF board for the enclosure I have designed and while not conforming to PMOD strictly, it would fix an issue of space in the main enclosure.


    Here is the progress to date on enclosures,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Bat_lid1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	354648
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Bat_Lclosed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	354649
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub-enclosure_draft2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	354646
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pmod connector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	354647

    Next on my list is the front panel and then a full sized test print of the main enclosure.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    This week, the OLEDrgb test code was removed and the Main Menu was developed. The menu display is working as desired, and some of the functions have been programmed (probe/search coil switching actions, ground balance request. In the coming week the normal display will be sorted out and the Maintenance Menu will be completed. The software and FPGA hardware definitions are to the point that I need to focus on populating the PCB so that the design can start testing of the TX and Pre-amp circuitry.

    The current block design:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	design.png
Views:	1
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	354645

    The current project archive is Vivado_Pipolar_PI(8-11-2019).zip.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Almost there, added front panel support and sized panel blank.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_Fpanel_Support.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	354627

    Changed assembly screw 3.2mm clearance holes to 2mm which then accepts self-tapping screws (the type which are for use with plastic)
    This needed to be done as the enclosure halves are symmetrical but only one side needs the clearance.
    Prior to assembly one side will need the hole enlarged to 3.2mm..simple job.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    More progress on the main enclosure, added fastener holes, next will be battery area, still waiting on delivery of the OLED and encoder modules.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_Fastner_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	354626

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Looking great!! If there is any suggested changes to my direction... please voice them. I do not have a NIH complex!!
    Thanks, I like where you are going with the project and I'm enjoying helping out.
    If there I have any questions or suggestions I'll put them forward JL.

    I made the enclosure symmetrical to allow for a cutout to slide or clip in (if cut-out was half moon shaped) the probe but this would depend on the diameter of the probe body.
    So one side is coil connector, the opposite for the probe.

    Here is some more progress pics, the design is now 95% adjustable in sizes, it did take a while, but got there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_Enc1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	354616
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_assembly_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	354617
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_view3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	354618
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_shell1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	354619
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_Split_view1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	354620

    Yet to add rear battery bay cover and front panel, then some bosses and the screw holes that will hold the 2 halves of the main enclosure together.

    The enclosure is close 130mm wide as shown to allow for access to the side PMOD connector if required.

    A few other bits and pieces to go but another day or so, it will be close to the finished set.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    I have been modifying the two enclosures to fit, now working on front and rear panels, adding pillars and ribs to secure front and rear panels.
    The main enclosure size has been increased to 60mm H x 112mm W x 102mm D although this can now be easily changed as required.

    Distance between back of front panel and the front of the sub enclosure is 17mm.
    Battery bay wall is 3mm thick

    [ATTACH]47049[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]47050[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]47051[/ATTACH]

    Once that is done, I will fine tune them for 3D printing and post some measurements.
    Looking great!! If there is any suggested changes to my direction... please voice them. I do not have a NIH complex!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    I have been modifying the two enclosures to fit, now working on front and rear panels, adding pillars and ribs to secure front and rear panels.
    The main enclosure size has been increased to 60mm H x 112mm W x 102mm D although this can now be easily changed as required.

    Distance between back of front panel and the front of the sub enclosure is 17mm.
    Battery bay wall is 3mm thick

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_1.4 v5_ribs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	354613
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_1.4 v5_side_rib.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	354614
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle_enclosure_1.4 v5_bat_bay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	354615

    Once that is done, I will fine tune them for 3D printing and post some measurements.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    I like the way it is turning out... I especially like the way it is working out with the A7 plugin. I populated the I/F board with the 48 pin IC socket and was not pleased with the gap between the socket and the A7 board, so I populated an I/F board with two 24 pin singe row header sockets. It gave protection to the 48 pins, but stands a little high by my standards. The sub-enclosure that you designed takes care of that problem and I can use the 48 pin IC socket as planned.

    I plan on using 2 pin female, 100 mil pitch, connectors on each of the coil wire sets (TX and RX) and a 3 pin female (again 100 mil pitch) for the 5V, 20V, and GND. That way it will be easy to attach extensions if needed when having to lay the unit out for troubleshooting. A hole, to facilitate ref voltage adjustment, will be required on the bottom (or top depending on your perspective).
    Yes, it's looking good, thanks for the info on your plans for the wiring, I will add the hole for Ref adjustment pot and perhaps I'll leave the position of the wire exit hole until last but it looks like being on the rear almost in line with the TX PCB wire solder pad row as the enclosure will be a slide fit with maybe 1-2 mm gap between it and main enclosure wall.
    I'll play around with both enclosure models and come up with best fit.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X