Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ivconic
    replied
    Quiaozhi many thanks for that link!!! Wow! Excellent explanation! Thanks much!

    "...The most common supercapacitor applications are memory backup and standby power. In some special applications, the supercapacitor can be used as a direct replacement of the electrochemical battery. Additional uses are filtering and smoothing of pulsed load currents. A supercapacitor can, for example, improve the current handling of a battery. During low load current, the battery charges the supercapacitor. The stored energy then kicks in when a high load current is requested. This enhances the battery's performance, prolongs the runtime and even extends the longevity of the battery..."

    So...this just justify my previous presumtion! It will turn that my question is not stupid at all!

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Yes Quiaozhi, that's the component! I have almost identical here by me.
    Acts indeed like real capacitor!
    So, i was thinking to wire it up at TGSL and observe behavior on scope. First i would like to wire it up at chopper output. Usually it produces -6.2V +/- 0.5V. So.... hopefully this special capacitor will further stabilize and filter negative rail at TGSL. Will try and see later..
    Also, it would be good to wire it up to TX supply also.
    Need to be checked.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by aft_72005 View Post
    Hi Qiozhi
    It isn’t new innovation.
    Best regards.
    It seems you are correct. I read somewhere that it was accidentally invented in the 1950s.

    I guess I never realised that these small memory backup devices were actually supercapacitors.

    There's some info here -> http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/Adv...upercapacitor/
    that describes it as a cross between a normal capacitor and a battery.

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Mullihaka View Post
    I use hte PWB design attached in the first message of this thread. The bipolar capacitors are constructed of two 10u electrolytics in series, minus poles connected together.

    The current consumption is 60mA. Is that correct?

    There are 20mV ripple at 700kHz on the +8V rail, riding on 20mV ripple at the transmitter's frequency. How clean did you get that?

    I have tried bypassing the 8V regulators in/output with 100n and the same for the PNP transistor's emitter of the negative voltage generator. No help.

    I disconnected the 470n cap from pin 1 of the amp, that didn't help. Disconneting the 100k resistor from pin 3 did nelp a bit. I have a feeling, that the power rails should be cleaned before trying anything else. I can find ripple everywhere in the device, just can't find the source. Could the ripple be born somewhere else and it jsut get's amplified by the amp in question?

    Andy
    I have tried bypassing the
    Hi,
    the 60mA you read are a bit high but , depending on op amps you use, could be ok.
    If you notice 130mA consumption when no sound there's a problem for sure, and you probably burnt the op amp that likely self-oscillate.

    The ripple amplification is unavoidable in such designs, so the strategy is to keep noise low from start, avoid ground loops, filter any sensitive power line/rail etc anything you can do to keep noise as low as possible is fine.

    I suggest you try 100nF directly at op amp site, on pads of power rails of it, then to gnd rail. That will filter out many spurious noise from it... but also, if you use hi CMRR devices you'll be shielded enough from that problems.

    The 700Khz ripple is anything but good, so try these strategies described above to make it vanish if you can. The original board is not perfect but has been realized by many people here, including me with success so, can't be the board design for itself but other factors like e.g. rosin from solder wire etc you must clean it very well with e.g. isopropilic alcol or similar stuff (solvents).

    Also, the voltage regulator can be a source of that noises... if have different ones try another and look for differences, could help too.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    please dear max,ivconic,qiazoni ,simonbaker

    Can some one tell what i am doing here?
    I don't know!
    I give up ... what are you doing here?

    Leave a comment:


  • aft_72005
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    Hi Ivconic,

    Is this it? -> http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...capacitor.html

    You said you had seen these in old VCRs, but I thought super capacitors were a relatively new innovation.

    Hi Qiozhi
    It isn’t new innovation.
    Best regards.

    Leave a comment:


  • Unregistered
    Guest replied
    hi

    please dear max,ivconic,qiazoni ,simonbaker

    Can some one tell what i am doing here?

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Hi Ivconic,

    Is this it? -> http://www.bikudo.com/product_search...capacitor.html

    You said you had seen these in old VCRs, but I thought super capacitors were a relatively new innovation.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • metaldetector107
    replied
    TGSL

    Dea Qiaozhi MAX Ivco
    please how to measure RX frequency without capa and coil calculation
    i mean with digital multimeter which has got frequency meter as well
    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • aft_72005
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Now is my turn to ask funny question;
    have you ever noticed that capacitor-look-like component, usually present in older VCR's? Small component, exactly capacitor look, usually labeled as 0.47F (!!!!) 5V or 6V? Meaning actually 47 000 uF !!! Small...smaller than capacitors we are using mostly here.
    So.. i took one recently and wired it parallel with one led diode and ps. Switched on ps and second after switched off. Led diode shined (diming down) for 2 minutes after!!!!!
    So...actually it is capacitor. Hell of capacitor! Excellent to stabilize some voltage. So...here is my funny question:
    How about, if we use that component(s) in TGSL? On very few places, especially on TX and eventually at chopper output (reversed, respecting polarities there)....ha?!
    I asume, it will take a bit of time to charge fully from accu. So, after switching on, detector will be ready to operate after few seconds...
    I never had any experiences before with this kind of capacitors....but shure this look like having some potentials to be used here...
    I am very interested in your opinion..

    Hi ivconic
    Yes , it is 0.47F or 470000 microfarad . I saw it at motherboard of pc.
    It is usually use instead of backup battery .
    May be in your old VCR did use for memory saving and real time clock .
    Best regards.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Now is my turn to ask funny question;
    have you ever noticed that capacitor-look-like component, usually present in older VCR's? Small component, exactly capacitor look, usually labeled as 0.47F (!!!!) 5V or 6V? Meaning actually 47 000 uF !!! Small...smaller than capacitors we are using mostly here.
    This sounds like an unusual component. Are you sure it has this huge value of capacitance?
    Do you have a photo?

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Now is my turn to ask funny question;
    have you ever noticed that capacitor-look-like component, usually present in older VCR's? Small component, exactly capacitor look, usually labeled as 0.47F (!!!!) 5V or 6V? Meaning actually 47 000 uF !!! Small...smaller than capacitors we are using mostly here.
    So.. i took one recently and wired it parallel with one led diode and ps. Switched on ps and second after switched off. Led diode shined (diming down) for 2 minutes after!!!!!
    So...actually it is capacitor. Hell of capacitor! Excellent to stabilize some voltage. So...here is my funny question:
    How about, if we use that component(s) in TGSL? On very few places, especially on TX and eventually at chopper output (reversed, respecting polarities there)....ha?!
    I asume, it will take a bit of time to charge fully from accu. So, after switching on, detector will be ready to operate after few seconds...
    I never had any experiences before with this kind of capacitors....but shure this look like having some potentials to be used here...
    I am very interested in your opinion..

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Mullihaka View Post
    I use hte PWB design attached in the first message of this thread. The bipolar capacitors are constructed of two 10u electrolytics in series, minus poles connected together.

    The current consumption is 60mA. Is that correct?

    There are 20mV ripple at 700kHz on the +8V rail, riding on 20mV ripple at the transmitter's frequency. How clean did you get that?

    I have tried bypassing the 8V regulators in/output with 100n and the same for the PNP transistor's emitter of the negative voltage generator. No help.

    I disconnected the 470n cap from pin 1 of the amp, that didn't help. Disconneting the 100k resistor from pin 3 did nelp a bit. I have a feeling, that the power rails should be cleaned before trying anything else. I can find ripple everywhere in the device, just can't find the source. Could the ripple be born somewhere else and it jsut get's amplified by the amp in question?

    Andy
    I have tried bypassing the
    You have made the full TGS version which I think has notch circuit, so 60 mA probably OK - TGSL (lite) version has no notch circuit and uses about 30 to 40 mA I think.

    Question: is the 700 kHz ripple in phase with the TX signal? In other words, if you trigger your oscilloscope on the TX signal, is the ripple stationary or does it run freely over the TX signal like a blur?

    I get big spikes on my supply rails, but they are at the switching frequency of the negative supply push-pull transistors. They are in sync with the TX signal, so hopefully create a constant offset, not noise.

    If the ripple is from some other place, I would think you would see it also in the other half of the op amp.

    Try putting a jumper wire from pin 1 (output) to pin 2 (inverting input) of the LM358 and see what happens. If that amp is oscillating, it should change it.

    A bad feedback capacitor with lots of inductance could cause oscillation in any of those op amps. Go to each op amp and jumper the output to inverting input and see if the oscillation stops anywhere.

    Just some ideas...

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    ?????????!!!
    Please, just look up; Simonbaker just posted it!
    Yes, a few messages before this one. Here is the link: http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showp...postcount=3409

    It is the top picture you want to look at, showing the cable wires attached to the coils and shield. What isn't shown is that the black wire of the RX cable goes to the inverting (-) input of of the op amp in the RX circuit.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by metaldetector107 View Post
    Dear Ivconic????
    i am sorry but i am realy confused
    i know you dont like repeating question
    but this time please dont
    could u tel me the thread page of your coil wiring
    if u cant remeber please trouble yourself and make another one for me
    you it is realy good favor;;
    beacuse i know i made mistake like till your last reply to me i was connected both
    shield to PCB but still any slight movement sounds
    abou the cable I am using a PI metal detector cable called P-158
    the cable has two pairs of wire and each pair has its own shield
    many many thanks
    by the way iam not lazy i have downloaded all 137 pages of TGSL
    abd reading them daily but still i am hopless with you and MAX and other gentlments

    ?????????!!!
    Please, just look up; Simonbaker just posted it!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X