Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by nakky View Post
    Hi Max ,Minelab using these conectors.Grt Nakky.
    Hi,
    yes, right... I forget these... ML ... Coiltek use them too... with a black cover on rear... that made them look different but are exactly the same stuff.

    Tesoro's, instead used on uMax coils the bayonet ring and conic pins inside... I must say... I like more the ML's way for that, though Tesoro's works too and well.

    I like cause it's easy to replace and also for making new homemade coils... you find that connectors everywhere for cheap!

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Yes that is the one i am using also...

    Some benefits in S/N relatio also can be achieved if connector is mounted as close as possiblle to pcb with short leads. Front panel wit pots and switches is also grounded.
    Keep in mind that all grounds are better to be connected in only one spot...due low frequency and possible some sideeffects. How to do that? Depends of your exact setup; enclosure,front panel,small back panel with coil connector...that's why i copied exact Fisher 1265 setup. Turns to be very eficient!
    Also noticed that Disc/All switch is better to be wired with very small(thin) coaxials...taken from some taperecorder head Reduces S/N also. But also all 3 cable shields to be connected at one side only and one spot. On other side keep them short in coat and unconnected, only "hot" ends to be connected to switch pins.
    There are many small tips very influencing S/N relatio and should be applied when mounting detector finally.
    More you pay attention on those - better performances you will get... simply as that!
    Regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • nakky
    replied
    And I
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • nakky
    replied
    Hi Max ,Minelab using these conectors.Grt Nakky.

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    I saw some mods and pictures for the Compadre on this website. They looked like an older version, maybe the one with 7" coil. Mine is new version, 5.75" coil. Inside is surface-mount PCB, everything tiny .

    I think I will not mod it for now so I know I have one detector that works for sure . I have to hunt.

    Actually, one mod I would consider is making it take different coils -- can't change now. But I don't know what coils would work with new Compadre. Also I don't know what connector would be best to insert after cutting cable -- would it add noise, etc? Tesoro coils are expensive too, almost price of Compadre.

    If I build TGSL in pretty box like Ivconic, it is easy to take coil and box off Compadre and put on new coil and box for TGSL, maybe I could use the pole for both as I feel like .

    I don't mind difficulty of building TGSL, not afraid if it doesn't work. A good project thanks to everyone here who did very good engineering.
    Hi,
    about connectors I use these you can see at Maplin:



    Are multiway, low frequency connectors.

    You can mount the socket on panel and then wire cable to the plug: they are good cause you fix the plug with a ring-screw after inserted in socket... much like Tesoro's original plugs do (though Tesoro's use bayonet mount).

    The 4-ways kind are good for coils like TGS.

    They cost few... and are strong enough for MD applications... though are more exposed to corrosion... than some original MD parts.

    The noise is not a big issue in these connectors if wiring is done right way: There's no difference between Tesoro's ones and these about noise at these low frequencies.

    From what I know some small manifacturers prefer using these than more fancy things... in PIs too... cause are excelent for the purpose and costs are reasonable.... and are worldwide available.

    Kind regards,
    Max
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    Thank you for the replies, ivconic
    Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by eclipse View Post
    Im checking the PCB you use :

    1)R13 and R14 (connected to RX leads) which on the schematic are 5K1
    on the board are marked as 4.7K;

    2) R27 (1K) is missing on the board

    5K1 are also hard to find in local shops, so i am using 4k7...

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by eclipse View Post
    Also instead of trimpot 100K (threshold) between +8/-5V there
    is 330K connected directly to -5V. Did you find this value to be
    good enough and there is no need to place trimpot?

    Speaking of this there are 2x100K (R48 and R51) used instead of just one
    200K. Can I use 200K instead, 0.25W. Perhaps they need to be 0.5W, i dont have a clue why did you switch those
    Yes, schematic was drawn before latest mod appeared. I left treshold as it was at that version. Actually no need for threshold preset anymore, yet you can apply it and see how it performs, good for experimenting. 330K is original from TGS schematic, working just fine.
    I couldnt find 200K (hard to find in shops here) so i put 2x100K.
    1/8W are just fine.

    I already mentioned 1K missing resistor on pcb. Read previous posts...

    My present pcb are as shown on draw. Mod is applied as piggy pcb over main. Threshold is fixed - 330K and 1K is added over...
    So...nothing changed. Be free to make it that way or any other way that suits you.
    Regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Max View Post
    I remember that Goodrat upgraded Compadre to Bandido... you could do the same... sure not an easy task but possible...

    Tesoro's of that era are realy similar in schematic.

    Or you could made new TGSL... big monster!

    The problem is probably at coil: it's hard for people here making good coils for it... expecially with not previous experience in VLF coils.

    Kind regards,
    Max
    Simonbaker, so as i heard Compadre can be modded to work much better.
    Open it an make some close photos of its inside.
    I heard rumors Compadre is actually sharing same pcb and electronic with some "older brother"...
    So ...before you decide to build TGSL first make sure about all the aspects of modding Compadre.
    I havent chance to test it and see it so far, except in advertisments..
    But...i beleive those rumors are at least half way true.
    Regards!

    P.S.
    Make photos, measure working frequency...
    It is possiblle to make much better coil for it and make it hell good, much better than now... Yesterday 06:09 PM
    I saw some mods and pictures for the Compadre on this website. They looked like an older version, maybe the one with 7" coil. Mine is new version, 5.75" coil. Inside is surface-mount PCB, everything tiny .

    I think I will not mod it for now so I know I have one detector that works for sure . I have to hunt.

    Actually, one mod I would consider is making it take different coils -- can't change now. But I don't know what coils would work with new Compadre. Also I don't know what connector would be best to insert after cutting cable -- would it add noise, etc? Tesoro coils are expensive too, almost price of Compadre.

    If I build TGSL in pretty box like Ivconic, it is easy to take coil and box off Compadre and put on new coil and box for TGSL, maybe I could use the pole for both as I feel like .

    I don't mind difficulty of building TGSL, not afraid if it doesn't work. A good project thanks to everyone here who did very good engineering.

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    Also instead of trimpot 100K (threshold) between +8/-5V there
    is 330K connected directly to -5V. Did you find this value to be
    good enough and there is no need to place trimpot?

    Speaking of this there are 2x100K (R48 and R51) used instead of just one
    200K. Can I use 200K instead, 0.25W. Perhaps they need to be 0.5W, i dont have a clue why did you switch those

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    Im checking the PCB you use :

    1)R13 and R14 (connected to RX leads) which on the schematic are 5K1
    on the board are marked as 4.7K;

    2) R27 (1K) is missing on the board

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by eclipse View Post
    On the last mod TR66 is reversed drain-source

    Not important there...

    I did redraw pretty fast yesterday. Using rotate i havent payed attention..

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Ok, I will be patient, excellent!

    I saw Ivconics video and - wow - I am very eager to build one, I specially want it for the beach where my Compadre is too small and shallow! But I am slow, not so crafty as you all. I'll learn as I go, make mistakes, and enjoy the ride .
    I remember that Goodrat upgraded Compadre to Bandido... you could do the same... sure not an easy task but possible...

    Tesoro's of that era are realy similar in schematic.

    Or you could made new TGSL... big monster!

    The problem is probably at coil: it's hard for people here making good coils for it... expecially with not previous experience in VLF coils.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Esteban View Post
    34 cm for small coin is very good! I think is better than original Tesoro from factory! True!

    Regards

    Esteban
    Hi,
    It's much more than original performances... the original ones aren't so smart at depth... and most is due to coils from factory, not at top, not well sized.

    I have one and tested some few others... also, but not satisfied me as homemade coils for it. Same on BandidoII.

    If you think e.g. at 8''... sure it's a good size for e.g. coins and small stuff search even in trashy area... but you lose many cms detection with that 3'' less on diameter. Also... I must say that complanar coils they made, really stable and perfect about disc and unbeatable about pinpointing... suffer from weak depth compared to DD , it's really clear fact.

    I suppose other larger sized coils run better, but think that could not compete with coil we are using here... so, I understand if someone will be disappointed reading that performance here... that aren't on original detector with original coils.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    On the last mod TR66 is reversed drain-source

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X