Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Max
    replied
    Damn !

    I saw some "coiltek" (for minelab's) coils at


    and see that a 11'' round ("the ripper" model) has a weight of 1.6lb = about 0.72Kg

    For me is really heavy for a 11'' fabric made coil !

    Tesoro's originals are much less heavy.

    These stuff are good for body-building !

    Considering that a Tesoro's Tejon Pro weight is about 1.5Kg total my 2Kg aren't so much more... but I still think I have to reduce weight.

    What do you think ? Any idea ?

    Best regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    weight considerations

    Hi all,
    I think I'm ready for the final TGS assembly with new coil... but I'm a bit puzzled about weight.

    I'm going to use spare parts from here and there... cause I haven't any good ready to made assembly.

    With my actual parts I'll assemble I have the following (about) weights:

    battery (12V 1.2Ah gel-type) : 450gr

    circuit (with wirings, pots, screws etc) : 200gr

    Control box (without circuit inside) : 300gr

    Pole/stem (alluminium made with kind of handle) : 600gr

    Estimated Coil weight (at now can only estimate) : 350-400gr

    So with data of above I'll get about 2Kg of total weight of detector:

    what do you think ? too heavy assembly ?

    I can change easy the gel-type battery with 10 NiMh e.g. 700mAh saving about 200gr that's about 10% of weight but other parts are a problem cause I cannot find at now more light ones.

    Any suggestion welcome.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by erolunall View Post
    Hello all
    I am reading every day discussion about TGS .I built one TGS but
    I thing it not working properly. Giving a constant saund like düüüüt
    and sound changing very close to coil near a metal.İt was not giving this sound before .it was giving like tik tik but I thing some IC is burned,
    I changed 4024 and lm358 saund changed to Tic Tic but very short time
    its turned Düüüt again .disc and all metal mode looking like same.
    Which IC I Have to change? Because I changed all transistors.
    I made a small coil about 16 cm.18 ohm but it s same performance whith 22 cm coil,
    İf a shortwave radio antenna near the 4024 I can hear a good sound from radio.This way İT detecting about 40 cm For 10 cm metal object.
    Which IC' s I Have to change?
    Best Wishes
    Erol Ünal
    This will be extremely difficult to fault find remotely. As Max rightly says, you will need to discover the problem yourself. But first you will need an oscilloscope. Without one you will have an almost impossible task.
    First check that the power supplies are ok, and that they're connected where they should be. Next check that the transmitter circuit is oscillating and that it's working at the right frequency. Failure of the oscillator will mean that the negative supply rail will be zero volts, since the oscillator drives a diode pump circuit via a divider. If all's well with the power supplies and the transmitter, then check the following:
    1. Signal across receive coil.
    2. Output of preamp.
    3. Sample pulses at the gates of the FETs for the GEB and DISC channels.
    4. Filter outputs for both GEB and DISC channels.
    5. Audio osc output.
    6. Headphone amplifier.

    Somewhere along the way you should be able to identify the problem.
    Good luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by erolunall View Post
    Hello all
    I am reading every day discussion about TGS .I built one TGS but
    I thing it not working properly. Giving a constant saund like düüüüt
    and sound changing very close to coil near a metal.İt was not giving this sound before .it was giving like tik tik but I thing some IC is burned,
    I changed 4024 and lm358 saund changed to Tic Tic but very short time
    its turned Düüüt again .disc and all metal mode looking like same.
    Which IC I Have to change? Because I changed all transistors.
    I made a small coil about 16 cm.18 ohm but it s same performance whith 22 cm coil,
    İf a shortwave radio antenna near the 4024 I can hear a good sound from radio.This way İT detecting about 40 cm For 10 cm metal object.
    Which IC' s I Have to change?
    Best Wishes
    Erol Ünal
    Hi,
    you have built TGS first PCB ? if so...

    if you have "bleeping" meaning some beep-beep erratic from it at max sens you have to change the TL062 with something better like TLC2262 cause I noticed that TL062 is not good cause of that bleeping at max sens.

    There could be also other, many, causes as example I remember you have to clean the solderside of PCB very well after soldering cause all these circuits have great amplification and some hi-impedance input op. amps... that don't like e.g. solder flux and similar "contamination" that makes conductive paths appear between pcb tracks.

    There are other causes that could be related to e.g. coil wiring... you have to use separate conductors in your cable for e.g. ground of each coil.

    You need also a good shield on them to avoid picking up too much electrical noise at 50 or 60Hz depending which is electric network frequency in your country... other noise from intermodulation between mains frequency and e.g. electric apparatus could interfere with your detector... also on-state TV sets that emissions are in 10s KHz range could give you false signals indoor, same for fluorescent-lamps, motors etc etc

    Causes could be so many that's impossible make a remote analysis of your problem and you'll have to discover yourself which or where is the problem... but check what I've said...often cause is easy to find.

    Best regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • erolunall
    replied
    Hello all
    I am reading every day discussion about TGS .I built one TGS but
    I thing it not working properly. Giving a constant saund like düüüüt
    and sound changing very close to coil near a metal.İt was not giving this sound before .it was giving like tik tik but I thing some IC is burned,
    I changed 4024 and lm358 saund changed to Tic Tic but very short time
    its turned Düüüt again .disc and all metal mode looking like same.
    Which IC I Have to change? Because I changed all transistors.
    I made a small coil about 16 cm.18 ohm but it s same performance whith 22 cm coil,
    İf a shortwave radio antenna near the 4024 I can hear a good sound from radio.This way İT detecting about 40 cm For 10 cm metal object.
    Which IC' s I Have to change?
    Best Wishes
    Erol Ünal

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    !

    Quiaozhi...in a way you are right also!
    Adding that 1M resistor caused to many offsets in overall design....to much for device to work linear in all modes...
    Thank your for .pdf...Interesting for me much!
    Regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Rotten tomato!


    Problem is solved!
    Before i tell you what was the problem, first let me add few more things;
    In the past when i made original TGS on that large pcb, i had no problem
    with it at all. Sens.pot....hmm! At the time i was able to adjust sensitivity
    linear in both modes: Disc and All M.
    But now at present, when i noticed this All M. mode problem, forgot to examine
    Sens. stage more detailed. So, few hours ago i checked all over again and noticed
    that Sens. pot does not have much of influence of depth and overall behavior!?
    In the past (large pcb) i could adjust Sens. in both modes to avoid erratic
    working od device. Now not!?
    So i started to checking arround that part. So...all the problems came with
    adding that famous 1M resistor parallel to 1N4148!!!!!
    I resoldered it and detector started to working without any problem!!!!
    Now, when switched in ALL M. Mode, i can stop bleeping by lowering Sensitivity
    a bit with Sens. pot! Does not affect depth to much....you may say - not at all!
    Depths remains the same...O.K. maybe 5% worse, but detector is working excellent
    in All M.mode same as in Disc. mode!!! HUUUURRRAHHHH!!!!!
    Yes audio now is not loud all the time but variabile - depending of the signal
    strenght....When very small coin put at the edge of detection, audio is weak..
    When approximated bit by bit, audio becomes louder and louder.....
    So...conclusion:
    Yes...in a way i was very right when suggested 1M resistor as optional BUT
    ACTIVATED (WHEN DESIRED) ONLY WITH A SWITCH! NOT INCLUDED ALL THE TIME IN
    WORKING CIRCUIT....
    My mistake was because i soldered it over diode and included it all the time
    in detector activity...Not good! Lost of All M.mode in that case!

    Sheeeesh! I really exausted my self last few hours.....
    All started when KT315 suggested that 1M at the first place...!?
    So i should take some rotten tomato and hit dear KT315's nose!!!
    Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!!! I am only joking here...of course! Mistake was only mine!
    Best regards!
    Got to sleep few days.....


    P.S.

    I am not gonna examine this further...to exausted.But last year i had same situation with Minelab Musketeer Colt. It was impossible to work with it in All M.Mode when Sense turned to maximum....simillar isnt it!?

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post

    Actually, it seems very strange and very interesting!
    In All Metal mode, already mentioned problem occurs ONLY WHEN
    APPLY COIN TO COIL FROM GREAT DISTANCE AND CLOSE TO POINT WHERE
    IS JUST ABOUT TO DETECTION OCCUR!?
    But when move coin in the zone and accurate detection no problem at all.
    Detector makes "beep-beep" and than stops normally like in Disc mode.
    So let's repeat;
    it cant stop beeping ONLY if coin is approximated to coil from zone out
    of detection,slowly...first "beep" occurs and no matter if coin is
    removed, beeping continues until switched OFF or I HAVE TO PUT HAND ON
    COIL OR EVEN HELPS WHEN I TOUCH THOSE 3 WIRES WHICH CONNECT PCB WITH
    DISC/ALL SWITCH...OR IF I RANDOMLY TOUCH SOME PART (BUT NOT EVERY) ON
    PCB...IN THOSE CASES IT WILL STOP WITH BEEPING.THIS IS THE CASE ONLY IN
    ALL METAL MODE, IN DISC MODE ALL IS WORKING PERFECT!
    Also if i move coin from a side into "sure detection" zone, let's say
    10-15cm away from coil surface (must be much louder signal than) than
    device is working normal,same as in Disc mode, no beeping more when
    coin is removed from zone of detection????
    Today i tried somehow to dig what is all about - but no results.
    Coil is prefect, no doubts in it. Cable wirements from coil to device is
    also good - no mistakes, no twisted pair effect, absolutely stabile,no
    false signals....nothing!
    I put sort of "gnd cage" over those switching fets - still the same...
    it seems fets are not problem here despite a lot of noise they producing.
    I changed that 15pf, replaced...tried even without it...- same...!?
    Coupled LM393 supply pins with 0.1 to gnd...- same...?
    Damn!Damn!Damn! This thing is making me crazy! It is not a big deal to
    have detector working perfect in Disc mode but not in All Metal mode.
    I can live with this.It is working so good in Disc mode so i dont mind
    about beeping in All metal mode at all. Besides i am not using All Metal
    mode anyway...
    But from constructors point of view this thing is interesting me much!
    I just would like to understand this better.
    I would like to see others opinions on this! Sean,KT315,Carl...others!
    Please come here and help us to solve this thing!
    What should be a problem here?
    Regards!
    Hi Ivconic,

    Have a look at the wire-ORed outputs of the LM339 comparators when the detector starts beeping continuously. It's possible that the comparators have gone into oscillation. If so, then you may have a layout problem, and/or you may need to add some hysteresis to the comparators.

    Also have a look at the attached Application Note, especially the section entitled "Comparators with Hysteresis".
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post

    Actually, it seems very strange and very interesting!
    In All Metal mode, already mentioned problem occurs ONLY WHEN
    APPLY COIN TO COIL FROM GREAT DISTANCE AND CLOSE TO POINT WHERE
    IS JUST ABOUT TO DETECTION OCCUR!?
    But when move coin in the zone and accurate detection no problem at all.
    Detector makes "beep-beep" and than stops normally like in Disc mode.
    So let's repeat;
    it cant stop beeping ONLY if coin is approximated to coil from zone out
    of detection,slowly...first "beep" occurs and no matter if coin is
    removed, beeping continues until switched OFF or I HAVE TO PUT HAND ON
    COIL OR EVEN HELPS WHEN I TOUCH THOSE 3 WIRES WHICH CONNECT PCB WITH
    DISC/ALL SWITCH...OR IF I RANDOMLY TOUCH SOME PART (BUT NOT EVERY) ON
    PCB...IN THOSE CASES IT WILL STOP WITH BEEPING.THIS IS THE CASE ONLY IN
    ALL METAL MODE, IN DISC MODE ALL IS WORKING PERFECT!
    Also if i move coin from a side into "sure detection" zone, let's say
    10-15cm away from coil surface (must be much louder signal than) than
    device is working normal,same as in Disc mode, no beeping more when
    coin is removed from zone of detection????
    Today i tried somehow to dig what is all about - but no results.
    Coil is prefect, no doubts in it. Cable wirements from coil to device is
    also good - no mistakes, no twisted pair effect, absolutely stabile,no
    false signals....nothing!
    I put sort of "gnd cage" over those switching fets - still the same...
    it seems fets are not problem here despite a lot of noise they producing.
    I changed that 15pf, replaced...tried even without it...- same...!?
    Coupled LM393 supply pins with 0.1 to gnd...- same...?
    Damn!Damn!Damn! This thing is making me crazy! It is not a big deal to
    have detector working perfect in Disc mode but not in All Metal mode.
    I can live with this.It is working so good in Disc mode so i dont mind
    about beeping in All metal mode at all. Besides i am not using All Metal
    mode anyway...
    But from constructors point of view this thing is interesting me much!
    I just would like to understand this better.
    I would like to see others opinions on this! Sean,KT315,Carl...others!
    Please come here and help us to solve this thing!
    What should be a problem here?
    Regards!
    Hi Ivconic and all,
    ...sorry I referred one of my previous post about TL062 that some of you haven't on TGSL, cause you haven't notch mode there! So just people having that notch, so building original TGS can refer to the change with e.g. TLC2262.

    About problem of bleeping:

    I haven't the same problem ...at least I cannot notice it and detector sound or be quiet even slowly moving a coin e.g. above the detection range area... then putting it near it's detected... but need a fast movement and sound isn't loud without the 1Mohm resistor at D12.

    Don't know why.

    Only I know that if you have it working ok in disc... you actually have it quiet when the shift network related to disc phase angle is from the LF353/LM393 action on disc side and not from the fixed delay network (fixed delta-phase)100k/15pF of all-metal.

    I start thinking you have some kind of problem there, but cannot figure out what could be... and why you have that problem and I haven't.

    Now it's a real mistery.

    Best regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by tiktak View Post
    Hi,
    Max.
    What you sugest to null acurate?
    And how the TX and RX should be positioned when the coil is ready?
    /is TX close to ground or RX should be there?/
    i mean when coil is ready to go and conected to shaft
    Hi,
    accurate null I made just with scope and dummy load... 1k resistor and suitable capacitor to resonate at about tx frequency. I don't use multimeter for that though I've made too in past.

    "/is TX close to ground or RX should be there?/"

    Don't understand well ... maybe you mean which coil have to be flat on base of housing ? If so... I have just my impression to offer :

    I've found that putting RX flat at base and TX bounced over is better...for me... but I've made an OO coil in which is better TX flat... so I'm too a bit confused at the moment.

    Best regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • tiktak
    replied
    Hi,

    Ivconic,
    How are you shore that you acive null using your method?
    Because when I null with multimeter wired directly to RX and put in 200mv range I cant get detection at all ,but when play with the windings I get point where detection is good,but when measure dont show NULL?
    Please advice me.
    I make two coils looking for null.And now they are ready but the 22DD have good depth but no disc at all,the 255X137 bad disc only foil and no depth?
    What could be my mistake?
    Should I try seal next coil like you when I find the best point in all metal?
    Why my disc disapiar?
    THANKS

    Leave a comment:


  • tiktak
    replied
    Hi,

    Hi,
    Max.
    What you sugest to null acurate?
    And how the TX and RX should be positioned when the coil is ready?
    /is TX close to ground or RX should be there?/
    i mean when coil is ready to go and conected to shaft

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Yelp!


    Actually, it seems very strange and very interesting!
    In All Metal mode, already mentioned problem occurs ONLY WHEN
    APPLY COIN TO COIL FROM GREAT DISTANCE AND CLOSE TO POINT WHERE
    IS JUST ABOUT TO DETECTION OCCUR!?
    But when move coin in the zone and accurate detection no problem at all.
    Detector makes "beep-beep" and than stops normally like in Disc mode.
    So let's repeat;
    it cant stop beeping ONLY if coin is approximated to coil from zone out
    of detection,slowly...first "beep" occurs and no matter if coin is
    removed, beeping continues until switched OFF or I HAVE TO PUT HAND ON
    COIL OR EVEN HELPS WHEN I TOUCH THOSE 3 WIRES WHICH CONNECT PCB WITH
    DISC/ALL SWITCH...OR IF I RANDOMLY TOUCH SOME PART (BUT NOT EVERY) ON
    PCB...IN THOSE CASES IT WILL STOP WITH BEEPING.THIS IS THE CASE ONLY IN
    ALL METAL MODE, IN DISC MODE ALL IS WORKING PERFECT!
    Also if i move coin from a side into "sure detection" zone, let's say
    10-15cm away from coil surface (must be much louder signal than) than
    device is working normal,same as in Disc mode, no beeping more when
    coin is removed from zone of detection????
    Today i tried somehow to dig what is all about - but no results.
    Coil is prefect, no doubts in it. Cable wirements from coil to device is
    also good - no mistakes, no twisted pair effect, absolutely stabile,no
    false signals....nothing!

    I put sort of "gnd cage" over those switching fets - still the same...
    it seems fets are not problem here despite a lot of noise they producing.
    I changed that 15pf, replaced...tried even without it...- same...!?

    Coupled LM393 supply pins with 0.1 to gnd...- same...?
    Damn!Damn!Damn! This thing is making me crazy! It is not a big deal to
    have detector working perfect in Disc mode but not in All Metal mode.
    I can live with this.It is working so good in Disc mode so i dont mind
    about beeping in All metal mode at all. Besides i am not using All Metal
    mode anyway...
    But from constructors point of view this thing is interesting me much!
    I just would like to understand this better.
    I would like to see others opinions on this! Sean,KT315,Carl...others!
    Please come here and help us to solve this thing!
    What should be a problem here?

    Regards!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • ApBerg
    replied
    Silver ????

    Hello Friends

    Some testing: ground adjust from the Goldy(golden light) and the sens. for silver.The coil used is a 20 cm opencentre.The scope shows the transmitsignal and the goundswitching fet.The shift from the Fet is made with the gound adjust potmeter. Look at the results At the point were there is zero ground effect (?????) the sens for silver is for a small and large coins almost the same !!!
    When this is al true than this means that large silver is very hard to detect.?!

    Well hope I have made some mistake ...

    Best regards.

    Ap
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by tiktak View Post
    Ivconic,
    What is this second trimer in original design and how should it be adjusted?
    Thanks
    Hi,
    you mean the other than ground balance one... it's for notch window amplitude regulation.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X