Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiko View Post
    I try it now, but I did not feel any difference. But thank you Ivconic! At first I will try a coil with your parameters and to replace the coil cable with a good one, because the current one is much improvised .
    Can you measure the voltages on both .22uF capacitors C12 and C15 that are connected to JFet source pins? I think I have identified the voltage points in your attached photos.

    These voltages should be positive. If they are negative, it probably means your coil is nulled improperly, and maybe someone can help with some suggestions.

    Can you give us the following additional measurements, if your meter can do it?

    1. Oscillator frequency (measure at TX coil lead that is not grounded).

    2. TX and RX coil inductances and resistances.

    -SB
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Aiko
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Maybe that potentiometer is cause of some problems there? In the past i also experienced some problems with Vol pot and earphones socket. Later i realized that and ever since i am not using Vol pot any more. I am using earphones sockets, but large plastic ones, not small metalic! Exclude Vol pot and wire up speaker directly to output on pcb. If there are some differences than, tell us.
    I try it now, but I did not feel any difference. But thank you Ivconic! At first I will try a coil with your parameters and to replace the coil cable with a good one, because the current one is much improvised .

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Maybe that potentiometer is cause of some problems there? In the past i also experienced some problems with Vol pot and earphones socket. Later i realized that and ever since i am not using Vol pot any more. I am using earphones sockets, but large plastic ones, not small metalic! Exclude Vol pot and wire up speaker directly to output on pcb. If there are some differences than, tell us.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aiko
    replied
    Thank you Ultimate Haze!

    One euro detection is about 20 cm in air and about 17-18 cm in normal soil. This is not good enough, but this is my first self-made metal detector and coil in my life. I will try everything possible for me to optimize it.

    The forth potentiometer is a 10k, with 330 ohms resistor parallel to the potentiometer. This is switching off/on potentiometer and I use it also for sounds volume. Unfortunately this is not working well for the sound volume. In fact with this pot I have two positions of the sound – strong and weak in the two ends of the potentiometer. I do not know haw to connect this potentiometer for smooth sounds volume. I am not very proud with this solution

    I forget about the discrimination – it is excellent – with insignificant depth decreasing.

    Regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • Ultimate_Haze
    replied
    Hi,

    Nice work Aiko.
    Can you use one euro coin for test?And tell us results.
    Also I see that the cable from speaker goes trough some pot.Is this 100k for volume adjust?Is this working good.Have you added other components there?Or just 100k?

    Leave a comment:


  • Aiko
    replied
    Hi guys! Thank you very much for your advises . I will try them, but first I should find an oscilloscope. I don’t have it.

    Regards to both of you!

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Aiko View Post
    Hello everyone,

    This is my Tesoro GS Light by Ivconic. This is very nice project – many thanks to Ivconic, Max and to other guys.

    My coil is DD with 210 mm inner diameter of each RX and TX coils, with 0.3 mm wire. I calculate the number of winding with Coil Calculator and receive 113 windings for RX and 107 windings for TX.

    Unfortunately I unable to obtain a good shielded cable for the coil.

    The best coil balance that I able to obtain is about 5 mV – is this good enough? I use digital multymeter to measure it.

    The detection in air for 20 euro cents is about 18 centimeters. In normal soil the detection for 20 euro cents is about 15 centimeters. For large metal objects (metal mug) in air about 50-60 cm.

    I know that the secret is hiding in the coil. I think that my coil is very good prepared and shielded, but I am not sure about the numbers of windings.

    I will be very grateful for any advices which will help for increasing of the detections depth.





    Hi, I like it. Good made !

    Congratulations.

    About performances you're right : trick is in tuning, of coil mostly and circuit also.

    About coil you need match params nad tx frequency, sure phase shift also for good disc. All this require you use a scope for finest possible tuning, multimeter is good but you have to play much with coil... experiment with slight variation of nulling...also not all multimeters are the same... so what's indicated by e.g. Ivconic's one it's sure different from your readings... so it's a bit tricky way of tuning coil.

    Nulling seems good at 5mV , usually under 15mV coil plays good... sure the best for e.g. being ummune to soil false is achieving small nulling voltages and overnulling...a bit. But, again, you need scope for that.

    The fact is, indeed, if you use an original tesoro coil with your circuit you could be surprised you'll don't get much more performances than your actual handmade... easy: they don't tune for maximum perf but much about stability and best discrimination... that's why so many wrote about weakness in performances of uMax mds in past and even today.

    The circuit is really good old analog... if you tune coil and reduce noise you'll get a top-md for really cheap, but requires work and dedication... and much hours of testing... much coils you have to make etc to gain practice.

    I suggest , now that you know it works, make other coils, following advices here... use 30AWG (0.25mm bare) wire, make required number of turns and match frequency... try to phase it good etc... shield properly and wire properly etc
    You'll discover the hidden potential of your golden sabre.

    PS: also remove any flux stuff from soldering layer... use cotton and isoprophilic alcohol for that stuff... device will be more stable then.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Very nice work. Congratulation.
    Also your results are not bad at all.
    Yet, instead 0.3 wire i would rather use 0.25mm (0.28 with resin layer).
    Do not try to achieve less possible residual voltage on RX coil by demand. Not obligated. Mutually you should balance coil and check air detection by swinging coin over coil. Measure, balance than check with coin, again and again. It is possible to achieve excellent air distances on coin with a bit higher residual voltages. All this can also be related to components quality and their tolerances. Of course; all the "secrets" are in coil itself.
    But at the end..you will find out that best coils are must be 6mH for TX and 6.5mH for Rx. Resistances between 18ohms to 25ohms (depends of coil dimensions and wire).
    You are almost there. Pay a bit more effort. Change a wire. With 0.25mm try 98 windings for TX and 107 for Rx. (D shape dimensions should be 255x137mm)
    Regards!

    Leave a comment:


  • Aiko
    replied
    my Tesoro

    Hello everyone,

    This is my Tesoro GS Light by Ivconic. This is very nice project – many thanks to Ivconic, Max and to other guys.

    My coil is DD with 210 mm inner diameter of each RX and TX coils, with 0.3 mm wire. I calculate the number of winding with Coil Calculator and receive 113 windings for RX and 107 windings for TX.

    Unfortunately I unable to obtain a good shielded cable for the coil.

    The best coil balance that I able to obtain is about 5 mV – is this good enough? I use digital multymeter to measure it.

    The detection in air for 20 euro cents is about 18 centimeters. In normal soil the detection for 20 euro cents is about 15 centimeters. For large metal objects (metal mug) in air about 50-60 cm.

    I know that the secret is hiding in the coil. I think that my coil is very good prepared and shielded, but I am not sure about the numbers of windings.

    I will be very grateful for any advices which will help for increasing of the detections depth.





    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

    Simon I think W. Lahr schematic is pretty accurate. Changes already noted (2-47Ks <4.7K>, 150pF<15pF>, and 100K resistor from LM 393 pin5 trace error) I only see two other differences:

    1) 220uF cap on 8v line (right after regulator) So there is one before and after regulator!

    2)The 1n4140 is missing on the one of the LM308s. This is interesting because it is on the (Lahr) schematic but is not on original PCB. So everyone thought this was just mistake on Kurtie100 pcb. This unit was produced after spring of 1986. Golden Sabre first came out in 1985. This is Rev C PCB, so if this was mistake they had plenty of time to fix it. I think also maybe makes no difference at all in performance.

    Like I said before Kurtie100 component drawing (and PCB) is very accurate!

    Parts are as per component drawing TIS75, 2222A, MPS13, LF442, etc.

    Audio circuit (after LM35 is as per Schematic, 16 ohm speaker is LOUD!

    Put Freq counter on Tx output tonite.....13.985 kHz with original 8" coil. Will try also with Tesoro 10.5 concentric coil I have but need to do some soldering to connect it.

    One time I will do pains taking schematic check, maybe during long winter.

    Next I will try 10.5 coil and DD coils, maybe few days.

    Molzar
    Hi Molzar:

    1. Were you ever able to remeasure the TX frequency of your Tesoro TGS? Your first measurement was 13.985, but you had question about meter.

    2. Can you measure the resistance and inductance of the 8" coil RX and TX coils?

    3. Can you confirm that the RX capacitor is 15 nF on the actual PCB?

    I would greatly appreciate it.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    All metal signal

    Can anyone explain the shape of the All Metal disc signal for the TGS? It is not square wave, more like triangle wave (square wave integrated by capacitor).

    I notice that JFet capacitance is more important than 15 pF (C11). If disconnect C11, it is still like triangle wave.

    Why did Tesoro want this? Would square wave work as well?

    -SB

    PS - I checked to make sure JFet not forward biased - voltage is positive at source pin (if nulled signal is chosen appropriately).

    Leave a comment:


  • MaverickITA
    replied
    Hi friends !

    I have posted a trade message here:



    Please, check if you are interested.

    Best regards,
    Maverick

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    180 deg disc

    180 deg disc idea for TGS.

    General tech discussions on all types of metal detectors: VLF, 2-box, BFO, off-resonance, PLL, etc. Questions, ideas, and anything else that moves you.


    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by kt315 View Post
    simonbaker, could you to simulate up-dated one?
    I hope it will good.

    YOURS
    General tech discussions on all types of metal detectors: VLF, 2-box, BFO, off-resonance, PLL, etc. Questions, ideas, and anything else that moves you.


    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by LORD_EX
    I want check BF245c gate but i dont have idea about singal on gate.

    can it be the signal ?
    Signal at gates...
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X