Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by tiktak View Post
    Hi,
    Max.
    So its the operating frequency afther all!So if you think that with 12kHz will be problemes.We can try making lower frequency coils and see whats best but near 12kHz.I see that Ivconic says with 11.62kHz slice better audio.
    ))))
    Hi,
    I think device could work at 12Khz, and even less... but to work good the negative rail must be at a suitable level... and that depends much on current requirements at ics.

    Probably using original parts the current needed is low enough not to lower much (absolute value) the negative rail at an unreliable level for safe operations.

    So it will narrow much the ability of changing components there for replacement unless using very low power op amps and the like.

    I think also that Tesoro made the TGSPlus version running at 15Khz mostly cause of the more stuff the Plus have to supply in its circuit...

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • tiktak
    replied
    Hi,

    Hi,
    Max.
    So its the operating frequency afther all!So if you think that with 12kHz will be problemes.We can try making lower frequency coils and see whats best but near 12kHz.I see that Ivconic says with 11.62kHz slice better audio.
    ))))

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    One more thing;
    Al foil faraday cage affects phase significantly...some 10 degrees! Due inproper thickness of foil i presume. Yet it is not an issue cose later this can be corrected when nulling. This was discovered by coincidence recently!?

    Also...filler mass i am using (HV split TV trafos mass) also has GREAT influence on phase!? Shift it for 5-8 degress!? Still this is acceptable and solveable with GEB trimmer later.
    Or adjusting 15nF at RX by adding 1-2nF later..
    Also....using ic sockets at LF353 place i discovered too that TL082 "shifts" phase more than LF353. Pay attention on this! Do not be confused when experimenting with various ic's at LF353 place...

    I did almost all possible "wild" experiments arround last comparators and last LM358. Changed all the suspectable components...nothing!
    Best setup is original TGS setup. Not neither one improvement with other values. Tesoro guys did pretty correct maths there.

    Yesterday i discovered one more thing;
    at my workshop, right now, i have two coils for tgsl; one for 14.6kHz and other for 11.62kHz. And you know what?
    The one for 11.62kHz when connected on tgsl "producing" slightly better and louder audio!?
    So i am wandering; are we making huge mistake from a very start?
    What is the REAL working frequency of TGS? And what are the real inductances of original coil for TGS?
    Might be that band passes are designed so strictly to "press" and filter all above the range? Logically, signal is attenuated, and later stages in detector are geting pretty weak signal than...

    Also i never saw schematic and possible differences beetwen TGS and TGS II.
    Any chance somebody to post eventual TGS II schematic?
    Hi,
    now your post make me dubts too of frequency, reading here:



    you'll see there's 12Khz as operating frequency for it... but that's very confusing cause I read in other places docs by Tesoro that talk about 14Khz...

    ???

    Also at golden sabre II you read it:



    ??????

    But at golden sabre plus... :



    15Khz ! Bang! Actually a bit less... 14.7Khz I think. Here we are... we are using the TGSplus frequency but are with TGS schematic... so we have larger caps at colpitts...

    What's wrong with 14 KHz ??? Uhm... maybe we have slight phase shifts at disc and geb... due to that, that reminds me at the strange behaviour we get at one pin of lf353... with dumped oscillations.
    But also we experience a slight increased performance on very thin stuff... like foils.

    I think most of all made till now can be easy converted for new coils using 12Khz but don't know if worth...or not.

    I also have thoughts aboud coils... always thinking actual TGS freq was higher than declared with 8'' round CC but seems Tesoro specify exactly 12Khz with it! So it's not cause of e.g. great coil... seems this is the original frequency.

    But I see a big problem for experimenting at 12Khz: the frequency divider will give 6Khz not 7.3Khz

    You'll think maybe it's not a huge problem but it IS: in bandidoII the big part of voltage converter inefficiency is due to the 5Khz it gets as driving frequency... and could be problematic running TGS with lowered negative rail... unless using really accurate component selection.

    What do you think about ?

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    One more thing;
    Al foil faraday cage affects phase significantly...some 10 degrees! Due inproper thickness of foil i presume. Yet it is not an issue cose later this can be corrected when nulling. This was discovered by coincidence recently!?

    Also...filler mass i am using (HV split TV trafos mass) also has GREAT influence on phase!? Shift it for 5-8 degress!? Still this is acceptable and solveable with GEB trimmer later.
    Or adjusting 15nF at RX by adding 1-2nF later..
    Also....using ic sockets at LF353 place i discovered too that TL082 "shifts" phase more than LF353. Pay attention on this! Do not be confused when experimenting with various ic's at LF353 place...

    I did almost all possible "wild" experiments arround last comparators and last LM358. Changed all the suspectable components...nothing!
    Best setup is original TGS setup. Not neither one improvement with other values. Tesoro guys did pretty correct maths there.

    Yesterday i discovered one more thing;
    at my workshop, right now, i have two coils for tgsl; one for 14.6kHz and other for 11.62kHz. And you know what?
    The one for 11.62kHz when connected on tgsl "producing" slightly better and louder audio!?
    So i am wandering; are we making huge mistake from a very start?
    What is the REAL working frequency of TGS? And what are the real inductances of original coil for TGS?
    Might be that band passes are designed so strictly to "press" and filter all above the range? Logically, signal is attenuated, and later stages in detector are geting pretty weak signal than...

    Also i never saw schematic and possible differences beetwen TGS and TGS II.
    Any chance somebody to post eventual TGS II schematic?

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Friends,
    despite all the mods included so far, i am not satisfied at all with audio!
    Last mod with monostabile is good enough as it is, yet its main drawback is constant and target (signal strenght) independable last,pitch and delay.
    So...here i am back again on the start
    Original audio seems to be best so far, better than all mods we included. Why? Simply, operater can take most of informations on target, from it.
    I would be more happy if it is more amplyfied and more loud.
    One thing also noticed; when speaker 8 ohms is used (without mods) "depth" in air is reduced significantly. At very end of detection, audio start with cracks. For example; coin at 35cm - 40cm producing just "cracks" not pleasant "beep". And even than those cracks are so mum and silent.
    When resistor 10 ohms added in serie with speaker, those cracks turns to "beep" very pleasant and fine, but very mum and silent. I have to put speaker on my ear close to hear those beeps.
    Closing coin to coil, beeps are rising in amplitude. 15cm away from coil and closer beeps are loud enough and very pleasant.
    Damn!
    During last year, making over 25 TGSL's so far, (and over 30 coils) i noticed one very interesting thing;
    With some coils audio is better and louder, with most of coils audio is weak!?
    Does this depend on coil itself??? Other words, depends on signal amplitude?
    Cose...i am confused,mostly i make same coils using same datas. Even than some coils "producing" better audio and some worse!?
    So.....problem with audio is still here and it is not solved.
    How to solve it? How to mod audio arround MPSA13 and make it louder (much louder) but to maintain simplicity and limited pcb dimensions?
    Working on it...damn!

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    Perhaps placing decoupling capacitors on every IC would eliminate eventual problems. If the IC you are using don't have high power supply rejection ratio could be a huge problem hugh?

    Leave a comment:


  • Max
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    I am testing oscillator and negative supply section on a breadboard.

    I get quite big voltage spikes (.1 to .4 volt) on V+ rail due to CD4024 counter and push-pull transistors TR7, TR8. Spikes very narrow, couple of micro-seconds, slight ringing at about 400 kHz.

    (see attached picture - top trace, tx coil voltage, 5 v/div. Bottom trace - V+ with AC coupled probe, .2 v/div.)

    I can reduce the spikes by putting 22 ohm isolation resistors between V+ and component with capacitor from 22 ohm resistor to ground (.47 uF across CD4024, 100 uF across TR7, TR8 ), but spikes still there a little.

    Do these spikes exist when parts mounted on PCB, or do they go away?

    Thanks,

    -SB
    Hi,
    they are always there... amplitude can change but you cannot totally eliminate: it's a drawback of design.

    Kind regards,
    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    spikes

    I found a major cause of the spikes on the V+ rail.

    The negative supply push-pull transistors TR7 and TR8 are both on for a split second as the square wave input to their bases transitions from low to high and vice-versa. Basically, they short the power supply for an instant, causing a spike.

    I changed the base divider resistors R11 and R12 to 470 ohms instead of 2k2 ohms so each transistor won't turn on until the square wave reaches it's max and min peaks. This greatly reduced the power supply spikes.

    I don't know if the transistors are driven hard enough now to supply good current or are saturated enough to avoid overheating, but it seems to help with the spikes.

    I would be interested if someone could put a scope on their V+ and let me know if they see any spikes.

    Thanks,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    problem - voltage spikes

    I am testing oscillator and negative supply section on a breadboard.

    I get quite big voltage spikes (.1 to .4 volt) on V+ rail due to CD4024 counter and push-pull transistors TR7, TR8. Spikes very narrow, couple of micro-seconds, slight ringing at about 400 kHz.

    (see attached picture - top trace, tx coil voltage, 5 v/div. Bottom trace - V+ with AC coupled probe, .2 v/div.)

    I can reduce the spikes by putting 22 ohm isolation resistors between V+ and component with capacitor from 22 ohm resistor to ground (.47 uF across CD4024, 100 uF across TR7, TR8 ), but spikes still there a little.

    Do these spikes exist when parts mounted on PCB, or do they go away?

    Thanks,

    -SB
    Attached Files
    Last edited by simonbaker; 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM. Reason: pictures too big; smiley mistake.

    Leave a comment:


  • driscoll
    replied
    Hi Guru's,
    Hi IVCONIC,

    I read your articles since the beginning and I think the GOLDEN SABRE looks increasingly SILVER SABRE.

    I am wrong ?

    Bests regards from France.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by eclipse View Post
    Simonbaker, i am using spint layout
    I added 3 new blocks (monostable, new auido stage and voltage monitoring circuit - i prefer visual led for low battery) on the board for testing purposes. changed layout and traces, added ground plane without loop, all new IC set, added 1K resistor, transistors now are BF245, all the rest - TO92, changed the PI-polar caps, all caps are with bigger footprint... called this mod Eclipse GS.
    Will see for errors and order the board tomorrow, finally.
    This is very good to have more different designs available for people with different parts, cases, etc. Somehow we need to bundle each in it's own "gift pack" with schematic and notes to keep them separate -- or we drown.

    I'll be very interested in your reports as you test your design.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Max View Post
    Hi,
    what schematic are you using ?

    Kind regards,
    Max
    Max, Ivconic - I am referring to schematic bundled in "TGSL-1265 Gift Pack.zip" which I believe was last one modified. I attached it here again.

    R47 (and R55) in that schematic are 4k7 resistors from outputs of LM393 attaching to R54 and C24 -- they are not there on earlier schematic with battery test. I think they are also not on Ivconic's PCB for TGSL-1265 -- that's why I'm puzzled.

    Thanks Ivconic for explanations, I understand better now that R54 makes pull-up for LM393. Would C24 make delay in pull-up? Is that to prevent small chatter? Maybe the 4k7 resistors slow the discharge of C24 to make audio tone last longer, and so are a good thing to have?

    Regards,

    -SB
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    More questions on R47, R55:

    TGS schematic with notch does not have R47, R55 seen in TGSL1265 schematic.

    Ivconic PCB not have R47, R55 either.

    If no R47, R55, then what good is C24, R54? They won't work I think, not do any filtering -- C24 just follow output of LM393 and use power for no purpose (AC short to ground), maybe make power supply spikes when output flips too.

    Am I misunderstanding?

    What is best to do here?

    Regards,

    -SB

    R47 is a part of battery testing, no relations with C24 and R54.
    I included battery test in schematic and at some pcb's.
    Sometimes i am using it on pcb, sometimes dont. Never mind at all.
    C27,D13,TR10,R47 and R46 are all there when battery test is needed.
    Otherwise you may omit those.
    Personally i dont like this way of tesitng battery. Anoying 4-5 sec. audio.
    So as i said, very often i am not using it on pcb's...
    Who need battery test in case when 12V/1.3Ah accu is used, like i do almost always..

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Ok, LM393 are open-collector outputs, so C24 charge slowly through R54 when both U106a and U106b outputs go high. Without R47, R55 , should discharge very quickly when outputs go low-- with R47, R55, discharge slower. So R47, R55 should affect audio somewhat. I'll try to experiment and find out.

    -SB

    R54 presents output pull up resistor, must be there, as well as C24.

    Leave a comment:


  • eclipse
    replied
    Simonbaker, i am using spint layout
    I added 3 new blocks (monostable, new auido stage and voltage monitoring circuit - i prefer visual led for low battery) on the board for testing purposes. changed layout and traces, added ground plane without loop, all new IC set, added 1K resistor, transistors now are BF245, all the rest - TO92, changed the PI-polar caps, all caps are with bigger footprint... called this mod Eclipse GS.
    Will see for errors and order the board tomorrow, finally.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X