Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • silverdog
    replied
    IGSL Working

    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Dear vAll,

    has anyone (other than Ivconic of course!) finished an IGSL - TGSL Coils Metal Detector and got it working as well as it should? I would love to see a video on YouTube if the answer is yes!!

    Mine is nowhere near finished.....

    Regards

    Andy
    Got mine working tonight, I love the 2 tones

    I'm sure there is a bit more to come with a bit of fine tuning (considering I don't really know what I'm doing )

    I'll get a video up as soon as I can

    All thanks again to Ivconic for this project

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Dear vAll,

    has anyone (other than Ivconic of course!) finished an IGSL - TGSL Coils Metal Detector and got it working as well as it should? I would love to see a video on YouTube if the answer is yes!!

    Mine is nowhere near finished.....

    Regards

    Andy
    maybe this weekend a lot to do at the moment

    bought a rc heli for immersion flights and had to mod it also i work on a stem for forum use

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Just finished IGSL No 3!
    This time on Silverdog's pcb!
    Splendid!
    Joy!
    Of course this one is working excellent too...
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    ...
    My questions:-

    1) May I assume that 12 volt battery minus is also always "ground"? So it appears on the PCB where I could check it out (should have thought of it before I soldered everything together!!).....

    2) So I was checking though the schematic and my PCB and I noticed that there are a large number of unmarked "arrow-heads" on the schematic, most (all?) of which as far as I can tell need to go to ground/battery minus. Can you confirm that for me please?

    3) Furthermore, its a bit cryptic as to what I need to do with the coil Faraday shield grounds, should these also go to ground/12 volt minus? There is no PAD, but that will not be a problem I feel....

    4) May I ask your personal recommendation/preference for connecting Diodes D1 and D2 to U2 pins 5, 6 and/or 9 (CD4024) for the sound please? High or low for Iron or for non-ferrous.....? I am pretty sure that you have a lot of experience and thought on that subject. Thanks in advance and even if I change it later, it will be a good start for me, thanks.

    I guess I should also first ask your permission to allow me to convert IGSL to Eagle schematic, but if you are OK with that and once its done, I will post the relevant files here.....what do you think?

    Even if you say yes, it may be a month or two before I get around to doing it.....

    Even if you make further changes and additions, they should be no great problem to make an update to the schematic and PCB layouts via Eagle.....

    Regards

    Andy

    PS. The BOMs that I made and posted some time ago were taken from an earlier schematic, using the functions of ExpressSch.......before the final Schematic was corrected & made available......I am sorry if they mislead anyone, that was not the intention. I was mislead myself....I was keen to get going.....

    Everyone should make sure that he/she is using the latest schematic version of any electronic device, SilverDog did, I did.......most of us did......

    In a fast developing unit like the IGSL was, maybe still is, there could be many versions around, like the Nakky one for example......
    1) Yes, -12V is always "GND" at this particular design.

    2) "Arrow heads" are all GND. This is the way i draw my schematics. I noticed that some people do find as more convenient to connect all the grounded pins with straight line. So as plus rail - also with separate straight line. Also signals too. At the end we see lot of lines everywhere, around, crossing...
    I call that "old school"-schematic drawing. Have nothing against that.
    But i found more easier to me the way i draw my schematics, more easier to analyze, follow and troubleshoot. It is not "my way" actually. I didn't invented it. I just learned and get used on that by analyzing many schematics from originals...
    So it is just a matter of personal choice and preferences... Pick your own and use it.

    3) Nothing misty there. GND is GND. No need for extra pad.

    4) That mostly depends on a speaker i have at that very moment. At some speakers some frequencies not sounding nice... if you understand me? So... first i hook up speaker and than experiment with 4024 outputs to find best and most pleasant combination. Usually are those mentioned : 5,6 and 9....

    You don't need mine nor anybody else permission to do anything with IGSL idea.
    Because once posted in public - it belongs to public.
    Do with it whatever you want to do.
    The same moment i posted it in public - i don't own it no more...
    Don't worry, don't hesitate - do whatever you want to do.


    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Dear vAll,

    has anyone (other than Ivconic of course!) finished an IGSL - TGSL Coils Metal Detector and got it working as well as it should? I would love to see a video on YouTube if the answer is yes!!

    Mine is nowhere near finished.....

    Regards

    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Regarding IGSL TGSL Coil Schematic

    Hi Ivconic,

    I am thinking of keying in your schematic (once my IGSL is finished and fully working!) to Eagle, so that I can redo the PCB, but I see that some component markings need to be properly and accurately defined.

    Also it will make it easier to convert to surface mount at some point in the future as all I need to do is just change the component style from through hole to SMD.

    My questions:-

    1) May I assume that 12 volt battery minus is also always "ground"? So it appears on the PCB where I could check it out (should have thought of it before I soldered everything together!!).....

    2) So I was checking though the schematic and my PCB and I noticed that there are a large number of unmarked "arrow-heads" on the schematic, most (all?) of which as far as I can tell need to go to ground/battery minus. Can you confirm that for me please?

    3) Furthermore, its a bit cryptic as to what I need to do with the coil Faraday shield grounds, should these also go to ground/12 volt minus? There is no PAD, but that will not be a problem I feel....

    4) May I ask your personal recommendation/preference for connecting Diodes D1 and D2 to U2 pins 5, 6 and/or 9 (CD4024) for the sound please? High or low for Iron or for non-ferrous.....? I am pretty sure that you have a lot of experience and thought on that subject. Thanks in advance and even if I change it later, it will be a good start for me, thanks.

    I guess I should also first ask your permission to allow me to convert IGSL to Eagle schematic, but if you are OK with that and once its done, I will post the relevant files here.....what do you think?

    Even if you say yes, it may be a month or two before I get around to doing it.....

    Even if you make further changes and additions, they should be no great problem to make an update to the schematic and PCB layouts via Eagle.....

    Regards

    Andy

    PS. The BOMs that I made and posted some time ago were taken from an earlier schematic, using the functions of ExpressSch.......before the final Schematic was corrected & made available......I am sorry if they mislead anyone, that was not the intention. I was mislead myself....I was keen to get going.....

    Everyone should make sure that he/she is using the latest schematic version of any electronic device, SilverDog did, I did.......most of us did......

    In a fast developing unit like the IGSL was, maybe still is, there could be many versions around, like the Nakky one for example......

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Hi Ivconic:

    You can label U1a, U1b in ExpressSCH if you want for purposes of print out. (right-click, "Set component properties", change the Part Id).

    However, the only problem that creates is if you link the schematic to ExpressPCB, it will be confused because it wants U1 label for each op amp in the DIP package. But since you use Eagle, should be no problem...?

    But for anyone who uses ExpressPCB, here is what I do to solve problem -

    I label each op amp (of a DIP) simply U1 (for example) in ExpressSCH so ExpressPCB is happy. Then I use the Text tool to put a little "a", "b", etc. after the U1 on the different op amps in ExpressSCH . You can even use the "Group" option under "Edit" to group the op amp and the single letter together so you can move them easily.

    It seems to work OK.

    Cheers,

    -SB
    Nice! That is also good solution!
    Maybe i will do the same in my "transition" period from "mess up" to "neat" level!

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Yes there is. But there is a problem too.
    Problem is related to my personal way of designating some components.
    For example, quad opamp....
    Usually i insist to name each opamp in package with same designator with addition of logical suffixes , like a,b,c,d ....
    So finally i end up with U1a, U1b......etc..
    I don't like to see U1,U2,U3 and U4 for one and only quad opamp... It should be U1a,U1b,U1c and U1d....
    But that is not convenient and not correlates with ExpressSCH rules.
    So.. either i will have to change my habits... either i will continue to make mess up from my schematics!!
    Most important is that we do understand each other and such issues are not that problematic... hopefully!

    Ok, i will try to correct my bad habits in future... i promise!
    Hi Ivconic:

    You can label U1a, U1b in ExpressSCH if you want for purposes of print out. (right-click, "Set component properties", change the Part Id).

    However, the only problem that creates is if you link the schematic to ExpressPCB, it will be confused because it wants U1 label for each op amp in the DIP package. But since you use Eagle (oops -- correction, Sprint) -- should be no problem...?

    But for anyone who uses ExpressPCB, here is what I do to solve problem -

    I label each op amp (of a DIP) simply U1 (for example) in ExpressSCH so ExpressPCB is happy. Then I use the Text tool to put a little "a", "b", etc. after the U1 on the different op amps in ExpressSCH . You can even use the "Group" option under "Edit" to group the op amp and the single letter together so you can move them easily.

    It seems to work OK.

    Cheers,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Circuit ref

    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Yes there is. But there is a problem too.
    Problem is related to my personal way of designating some components.
    For example, quad opamp....
    Usually i insist to name each opamp in package with same designator with addition of logical suffixes , like a,b,c,d ....
    So finally i end up with U1a, U1b......etc..
    I don't like to see U1,U2,U3 and U4 for one and only quad opamp... It should be U1a,U1b,U1c and U1d....
    But that is not convenient and not correlates with ExpressSCH rules.
    So.. either i will have to change my habits... either i will continue to make mess up from my schematics!!
    Most important is that we do understand each other and such issues are not that problematic... hopefully!
    Yes i like the way you do it Ivconic, and circuit reference numbers on the PCB files instead of part numbers, together it makes a very pro expert job.
    Many thanks
    Regards

    Ok, i will try to correct my bad habits in future... i promise!

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Yes there is. But there is a problem too.
    Problem is related to my personal way of designating some components.
    For example, quad opamp....
    Usually i insist to name each opamp in package with same designator with addition of logical suffixes , like a,b,c,d ....
    So finally i end up with U1a, U1b......etc..
    I don't like to see U1,U2,U3 and U4 for one and only quad opamp... It should be U1a,U1b,U1c and U1d....
    But that is not convenient and not correlates with ExpressSCH rules.
    So.. either i will have to change my habits... either i will continue to make mess up from my schematics!!
    Most important is that we do understand each other and such issues are not that problematic... hopefully!

    Ok, i will try to correct my bad habits in future... i promise!
    For what it is worth, I like your way of doing it. U1a, b, c & d tell me that is all part of one chip.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Yes, under "Edit" menu, you can copy BOM to clipboard with ExpressSCH.

    -SB
    Yes there is. But there is a problem too.
    Problem is related to my personal way of designating some components.
    For example, quad opamp....
    Usually i insist to name each opamp in package with same designator with addition of logical suffixes , like a,b,c,d ....
    So finally i end up with U1a, U1b......etc..
    I don't like to see U1,U2,U3 and U4 for one and only quad opamp... It should be U1a,U1b,U1c and U1d....
    But that is not convenient and not correlates with ExpressSCH rules.
    So.. either i will have to change my habits... either i will continue to make mess up from my schematics!!
    Most important is that we do understand each other and such issues are not that problematic... hopefully!

    Ok, i will try to correct my bad habits in future... i promise!

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    I adopted Sprint Layout and ExpressSCH as my 2 main and only tools for such works. So i can not switch to another one so easily. Habits are strong, once you get them. Actually i never tried to generate BOM from neither of those two software...
    I will try next time.
    Yes, under "Edit" menu, you can copy BOM to clipboard with ExpressSCH.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiltran View Post
    Not you fault Ivconic! you had the values right on the schematic. And Im sure fisherman was trying to help and meant well. Which goes back to the point if we all could agree on a common pcb and schematic program to use, some of them will print out a parts list.
    I adopted Sprint Layout and ExpressSCH as my 2 main and only tools for such works. So i can not switch to another one so easily. Habits are strong, once you get them. Actually i never tried to generate BOM from neither of those two software...
    I will try next time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiltran
    replied
    ISGL

    Not you fault Ivconic! you had the values right on the schematic. And Im sure fisherman was trying to help and meant well. Which goes back to the point if we all could agree on a common pcb and schematic program to use, some of them will print out a parts list.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X