Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by habitbraker View Post
    Of course it does!
    If all is made properly - than it must work good.

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Dear Habitbraker,

    I have read TGSL forum several times (really interesting, enjoyed it and learnt a lot), I have also read Don Bower's excellent TGSL 101, parts I & II at least 4 times and used it even to build my coils (really good information).

    I am sure that for anybody who has made and used a TGSL you are 110% correct, then the IGSL is easy. But for an electronics Engineer that has spent the last 40 odd years working only in "DIGITAL" electronics, who has not ever built a TGSL machine, its not quite so "cut & dried" as you obviously feel it is.....

    Of course I know the building blocks, but I still don't understand the way it all hangs together in the manner that I wish to.

    Some of the names elude me completely (does GEB mean "Ground Exclusion Balance? If yes, what does THAT mean????), even though I have built several IB machines over the last 30 years.....nowhere near as complex though as the IGSL.

    You are sitting on the other side of the fence from me with your TGSL and IGSL knowledge, for you it is easy....try and be a little more understanding of the situation.....

    The last time I was "immersed" in analogue electronics, it was all Tubes/Valves and I was setting up twin 4.5" gun turrets and Sonar equipment in the Royal Navy......(helps a lot with setting up an IGSL!!!)

    By the way, you may be a useful Guy to know later, if you have actually built an IGSL, if I need any fine tuning for mine, is that OK with you?

    By the way, have you actually built, tuned and used an IGSL? Or do you only have TGSL experience?

    Thanks in advance for your help with my IGSL and have a great day anyway......

    Andy
    General tech discussions on all types of metal detectors: VLF, 2-box, BFO, off-resonance, PLL, etc. Questions, ideas, and anything else that moves you.


    Working like charm

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiltran View Post
    Ok, I am working on the coils for better operation. By the way thanks for the good metals discrimination chart, its very helpful in understanding the phase differences in coins vs. ferrous, foils ETC. This is a good lead in to understanding VDI setup and operation!
    Thanks to White's, i ripped it out from their .pdf and added my sketches...

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiltran
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    No, i mean your problems are not caused by 1uF caps but from something else.
    Like i said; must be the coil ...
    Ok, I am working on the coils for better operation. By the way thanks for the good metals discrimination chart, its very helpful in understanding the phase differences in coins vs. ferrous, foils ETC. This is a good lead in to understanding VDI setup and operation!

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiltran View Post
    Do you mean the problems I was facing when I originally put in 4.7 NF caps?
    No, i mean your problems are not caused by 1uF caps but from something else.
    Like i said; must be the coil ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiltran
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    Not significantly.
    At least will not cause problems similar to what you are facing now.
    Do you mean the problems I was facing when I originally put in 4.7 NF caps?

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wiltran View Post
    Ivconic, if you remember from one of my earlier posts, I couldnt get IGSL to work, I put in wrong caps C17,C23, C30, C36 I used 4.7 NF. and it was a failure. I replaced with 1 MFD box film caps, and it worked good. Would the 1 mfd caps affect the performance negatively? I know they should be .47 MFD.
    Not significantly.
    At least will not cause problems similar to what you are facing now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wiltran
    replied
    Caps

    Ivconic, if you remember from one of my earlier posts, I couldnt get IGSL to work, I put in wrong caps C17,C23, C30, C36 I used 4.7 NF. and it was a failure. I replaced with 1 MFD box film caps, and it worked good. Would the 1 mfd caps affect the performance negatively? I know they should be .47 MFD.

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Amalio View Post
    Hello

    I tried to C43 Ivconic values ​​y2n2 4N7 2N7 3n3, accompanied by C4 10n, despite this IGLS not operate in conditions of cancellation

    aluminum foil coils isolated

    I have doubts with double coaxial video cable, I will seek to replace Belden

    thanks
    Could be, but i would rather suspect coil balance.
    But yes, you are right; first replace cable with more proper one, than try to achieve better balance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Amalio
    replied
    Hello

    I tried to C43 Ivconic values ​​y2n2 4N7 2N7 3n3, accompanied by C4 10n, despite this IGLS not operate in conditions of cancellation

    aluminum foil coils isolated

    I have doubts with double coaxial video cable, I will seek to replace Belden

    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by Amalio View Post
    Hello

    miIGLS problems


    when I connect the battery beep sounds for three seconds and then a constant instability.

    I've tried up to 2.2 n C43 but in no way is left IGLS cancel

    I new coils to lower the inductance

    2.8 Ohms 0.976 Mh TX

    RX MH 14.65 38.4 Ohms

    As the frequency is 8.76 kHz TX, RX same frequency, measured at Rx output

    I'm using dual coaxial video cable, which gives me a lot
    conffianza
    Amalio,
    C4 + C43 (in parallel) = 15nF (in range 14.7nF to 15.5nF approx.)

    ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Amalio
    replied
    More friends here with homemade coils IGLS musketeer to share experiences

    regards

    Leave a comment:


  • Amalio
    replied
    Hello

    miIGLS problems


    when I connect the battery beep sounds for three seconds and then a constant instability.

    I've tried up to 2.2 n C43 but in no way is left IGLS cancel

    I new coils to lower the inductance

    2.8 Ohms 0.976 Mh TX

    RX MH 14.65 38.4 Ohms

    As the frequency is 8.76 kHz TX, RX same frequency, measured at Rx output

    I'm using dual coaxial video cable, which gives me a lot
    conffianza

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by ivconic View Post
    "...Overlap is not existing all the time, only when Disc 2 is adjusted fully clockwise and Disc 1 fully counterclockwise, pretty rare situation and in most of the possible cases undesirable..."

    What i am saying here! On contrary!
    Such situation is not "undesirable" but can be also another very interesting and desirable situation too!
    Because what will happen than?
    Irons will produce only low tone, colored alloys which are over Al foils on scale will produce high tone ...and everything else implied in overlap range will be indicated with both tones!
    That's also another splendid choice!
    Bingo! That is exactly what I had pictured in my mind in looking at this.

    Thank You!

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    "...Overlap is not existing all the time, only when Disc 2 is adjusted fully clockwise and Disc 1 fully counterclockwise, pretty rare situation and in most of the possible cases undesirable..."

    What i am saying here! On contrary!
    Such situation is not "undesirable" but can be also another very interesting and desirable situation too!
    Because what will happen than?
    Irons will produce only low tone, colored alloys which are over Al foils on scale will produce high tone ...and everything else implied in overlap range will be indicated with both tones!
    That's also another splendid choice!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X