Originally posted by ivconic
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
IGSL
Collapse
X
-
"....for a TGSL from Don (which is really good, but does it apply to IGSL?).."
Yes it does.
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Ivconic,Originally posted by ivconic View PostInteresting graph!
In some way it justify my expectations.

before I set my coils in Epoxy resin, may I ask if you have written already a "setup procedure" for both the IGSL Coils and the electronics? If yes, can you point that out to me, or a weblink.
All I have at this time is the setup for a TGSL from Don (which is really good, but does it apply to IGSL?), that I find too different, or I simply don't understand the similarities to be of any use for a IGSL.....
Thanks for your time and trouble.
Regards
Andy
Leave a comment:
-
Interesting graph!Originally posted by Jerry View PostHere are the results of some experimenting on phase vs coil null voltages last year. I only did this on one coil so I should probably repeat it sometime to see if the results agree.
You can see that as the null voltage drops towards zero the phase shift increases.
These reading were taken with the coils pushed further together from the zero null point.
Next time I do this I am going to show a complete curve for both inside and outside of the null point.
Jerry
In some way it justify my expectations.
Leave a comment:
-
IGSL
Interesting graph Jerry, thanks. This is one that been puzzling me. Does nulling your coils to the minimum voltage represent the optimum coil location for good depth, and discrimination? or do you then move the coils again slightly to another location for best operation. I'm hearing different opinions from others on this board. Some say null for best ferrite rejection! PS, Ive been using a usb cable which was what I thought had pretty good results. Now Ivconic and others are recommending Belden cable. Does anyone know what application Belden cable is usually used for? Sometimes knowing this make it easier to obtain at cheaper prices. Like audio cables, mike cables etc.Originally posted by Jerry View PostGood point. I did not think of that. Will give that a try the next time. This coil had aluminum foil for shielding and a USB cable. I got excellent results with it but will use mylar on the next one. The foil I used was pretty thick.
When I posted this last year, I was hoping to get others to make the same test to see if these relationships hold for different coil sizes and shapes. When I do it again I will post more complete information.
You have given me some good ideas.
Thanks.
Jerry
Leave a comment:
-
Good point. I did not think of that. Will give that a try the next time. This coil had aluminum foil for shielding and a USB cable. I got excellent results with it but will use mylar on the next one. The foil I used was pretty thick.Originally posted by Dennis the Mennis View PostHi Jerry ,
Great graph
, wouldn't it be also very nice and interesting to display in this graph the source voltages of the Fet's ( TGSL : U C15 & U C12 ) in relation to the Shift and 'Nulling voltage ' ?
What did you use for shielding and what kind of cable did you use ? Just to get picture complete ...
kind regards ,
Dennis the Mennis
When I posted this last year, I was hoping to get others to make the same test to see if these relationships hold for different coil sizes and shapes. When I do it again I will post more complete information.
You have given me some good ideas.
Thanks.
Jerry
Leave a comment:
-
Hi Jerry ,Originally posted by Jerry View PostHere are the results of some experimenting on phase vs coil null voltages last year. I only did this on one coil so I should probably repeat it sometime to see if the results agree.
You can see that as the null voltage drops towards zero the phase shift increases.
These reading were taken with the coils pushed further together from the zero null point.
Next time I do this I am going to show a complete curve for both inside and outside of the null point.
Jerry
Great graph
, wouldn't it be also very nice and interesting to display in this graph the source voltages of the Fet's ( TGSL : U C15 & U C12 ) in relation to the Shift and 'Nulling voltage ' ?
What did you use for shielding and what kind of cable did you use ? Just to get picture complete ...
kind regards ,
Dennis the Mennis
Leave a comment:
-
Here are the results of some experimenting on phase vs coil null voltages last year. I only did this on one coil so I should probably repeat it sometime to see if the results agree.Originally posted by ivconic View Post
Before applying filler i perform such tests and correct a bit coil position, if needed. And it usually end up in range 4-15mV.
Funny, because original TS1000 coil is giving me 0.00mV when measured?!
Yet my 4-15mV coil is working same good as TS1000!?
In the past i insisted to fix null exactly to 0.00mV, but later such coils didn't performed so good!?
I think i know the reason of such difference between home made and original.
You can see that as the null voltage drops towards zero the phase shift increases.
These reading were taken with the coils pushed further together from the zero null point.
Next time I do this I am going to show a complete curve for both inside and outside of the null point.
JerryAttached Files
Leave a comment:
-
You cannot post it here, as it is cracked software.Originally posted by satdaveuk View PostI waited all that time and it says the same thing a X
then nothing.
Anyone whos sucessfully downloaded this rar file can they please just put it on here its only 5.2mb so should be easy.
Many thanks in advance
Dave
Check your email.
Leave a comment:
-
I would also be interested to know too.......Originally posted by simonbaker View PostYes, try it, doesn't sound too hard to do if I understand.
I have a bottle of graphite waiting to be mixed with glue to make a potting/shield arrangement to get rid of the foil shield.
I keep wondering how important the TX shield is at all -- everyone insists it is, and I'm sure it is. But would be interesting to know when it is useful, how much difference it makes, and what does the shield actually accomplish technically (I've heard many theories I'd like to substantiate).
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
Yes, try it, doesn't sound too hard to do if I understand.Originally posted by der_fisherman View PostI use Alumium foil too......that cannot be the only difference......
I will one day make a coil without Mylar, Alufoil or the like, I will only use copper wire wound at say 5 mm spacing.
If you look at the Faraday's cages used in many applications, there is more air than shield. Many are just an open metal mesh........
I feel that that will work well, especially for the Tx coil......more "power out"....
I wonder what that will do with the null, especially when both coils are made like that?
Problem is that its a lot of work, just to find out that its a rubbish idea!!!





Regards
Andy
I have a bottle of graphite waiting to be mixed with glue to make a potting/shield arrangement to get rid of the foil shield.
I keep wondering how important the TX shield is at all -- everyone insists it is, and I'm sure it is. But would be interesting to know when it is useful, how much difference it makes, and what does the shield actually accomplish technically (I've heard many theories I'd like to substantiate).
-SB
Leave a comment:
-
IGSL Null voltage....
I use Alumium foil too......that cannot be the only difference......Originally posted by ivconic View PostThere is moment when i reach "null" readings (0.00mV) at my millivoltmeter. I do have scope, but also prefer rather to use millivoltmeter for coils balancing, kind a habit.
So, there is a moment... but pretty soon voltage changes and usually stays in range 4-15mV.
I don't rely only on such readings, more i rely on air tests with hotrock, ferrite rod, various coins, ceramic etc..etc..
Before applying filler i perform such tests and correct a bit coil position, if needed. And it usually end up in range 4-15mV.
Funny, because original TS1000 coil is giving me 0.00mV when measured?!
Yet my 4-15mV coil is working same good as TS1000!?
In the past i insisted to fix null exactly to 0.00mV, but later such coils didn't performed so good!?
I think i know the reason of such difference between home made and original.
I always shield my coils with Al foil, while original TS1000 is shielded with graphite powder mixed with filler.
Al foil "mass" presence in coils vicinity is causing that 4-15mV jitter and seems it is quite normal for such setup.
I will one day make a coil without Mylar, Alufoil or the like, I will only use copper wire wound at say 5 mm spacing.
If you look at the Faraday's cages used in many applications, there is more air than shield. Many are just an open metal mesh........
I feel that that will work well, especially for the Tx coil......more "power out"....
I wonder what that will do with the null, especially when both coils are made like that?
Problem is that its a lot of work, just to find out that its a rubbish idea!!!





Regards
Andy
Leave a comment:
-
mikebg would very much like your small null voltage because it allows more "headroom" for bigger preamp gain.Originally posted by der_fisherman View PostMinor update on my IGSL build, I am able to "null" my coils to a Rx coil pick of 0.4 mVolts (measured across the coil), YES 0.4mVolts measured on my scope.......Checked about 4 times to make sure that I was not misreading the scope display.....
The coils are just sitting in my Plywood search head, not even glued in, they need only a tiny movement to get down so low (the plywood head was made using Don's excellent TGSL 101 pdf, as were the coils)......
Also, that was measured in my Kitchen, with plenty of "Electrical interference" around, which is strongly believed to "interfere with sensitivity".......not exactly the best place I feel to make such a test.....
That's a lot less that the 4mVolts (factor x10) that Don talks about in TGSL 101......naturally gluing may eventually send it off, but has anyone else ever achieved such a low value? Is it normal? (thanks to anyone who replies with details).
I am NOT trying to say that its because of the way that I run my Faraday Shield wiring, or the cable type that I use, though, I am just happy that its that sensitive and I feel that that bodes well for the future.
Though it is one of the points that I sincerely believe that accurate/correct grounding of the shields helps. But absolutely no proof whatsoever as to if that is true or not, but it's good building practice.....
I am waiting to see what levels other people are achieving under the same circumstances, maybe mine is just quite normal......or even higher than really good machines.
Silverdog & Ivconic, what do you get as a null voltage measured on the Rx coil.....???
Sadly, I put my CD4024 chip in backwards(
), blew it up, so I cannot progress further till that is replaced....next week!!
I need to make the head better looking before I glue the coils in anyway, so its not a problem really, plenty to do......just aggravating.....




Regards
Andy
However, IGSL/TGSL preamp gain is fixed, so smaller null not helpful for that reason.
Such a small null is nice, but may not be important for good detection here. It may be that the effects of your shields and cable happen to cancel each other, or something like that. Or maybe it is due to a better cable/grounding arrangement -- to your credit -- something that would be nice to prove.
An ultra-small null may not improve anything because the motion detector circuit ignores the null anyway.
However, if your smaller null means smaller modulation of the signal by ground effects (ferrite), that could be important. That would require testing and comparing to a similar coil head with a larger null.
Because the overall null signal may be a combination of "magnetic" and "non-magnetic" couplings, it's hard to know often when we have found the smallest "magnetic" coupling point, which is what I think we want. Ivconic's practical testing with ferrite, targets, etc. seems like the best way to find that point.
Don't be shy to post photos of your work-in-progress. I'm the king of ugly, so it all looks good to me!
Regards,
-sB
Leave a comment:
-
There is moment when i reach "null" readings (0.00mV) at my millivoltmeter. I do have scope, but also prefer rather to use millivoltmeter for coils balancing, kind a habit.
So, there is a moment... but pretty soon voltage changes and usually stays in range 4-15mV.
I don't rely only on such readings, more i rely on air tests with hotrock, ferrite rod, various coins, ceramic etc..etc..
Before applying filler i perform such tests and correct a bit coil position, if needed. And it usually end up in range 4-15mV.
Funny, because original TS1000 coil is giving me 0.00mV when measured?!
Yet my 4-15mV coil is working same good as TS1000!?
In the past i insisted to fix null exactly to 0.00mV, but later such coils didn't performed so good!?
I think i know the reason of such difference between home made and original.
I always shield my coils with Al foil, while original TS1000 is shielded with graphite powder mixed with filler.
Al foil "mass" presence in coils vicinity is causing that 4-15mV jitter and seems it is quite normal for such setup.
Leave a comment:
-
Update on "Nulling" on my IGSL (SilverDog kit) with DIY TGSL Coils
Minor update on my IGSL build, I am able to "null" my coils to a Rx coil pick of 0.4 mVolts (measured across the coil), YES 0.4mVolts measured on my scope.......Checked about 4 times to make sure that I was not misreading the scope display.....
The coils are just sitting in my Plywood search head, not even glued in, they need only a tiny movement to get down so low (the plywood head was made using Don's excellent TGSL 101 pdf, as were the coils)......
Also, that was measured in my Kitchen, with plenty of "Electrical interference" around, which is strongly believed to "interfere with sensitivity".......not exactly the best place I feel to make such a test.....
That's a lot less that the 4mVolts (factor x10) that Don talks about in TGSL 101......naturally gluing may eventually send it off, but has anyone else ever achieved such a low value? Is it normal? (thanks to anyone who replies with details).
I am NOT trying to say that its because of the way that I run my Faraday Shield wiring, or the cable type that I use, though, I am just happy that its that sensitive and I feel that that bodes well for the future.
Though it is one of the points that I sincerely believe that accurate/correct grounding of the shields helps. But absolutely no proof whatsoever as to if that is true or not, but it's good building practice.....
I am waiting to see what levels other people are achieving under the same circumstances, maybe mine is just quite normal......or even higher than really good machines.
Silverdog & Ivconic, what do you get as a null voltage measured on the Rx coil.....???
Sadly, I put my CD4024 chip in backwards(
), blew it up, so I cannot progress further till that is replaced....next week!!
I need to make the head better looking before I glue the coils in anyway, so its not a problem really, plenty to do......just aggravating.....




Regards
Andy
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: