Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arduino Nano PI Main Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    Hi Qiaozhi,

    My book arrived last night great job again.
    I was trying to run verify and compile and having problems, but I was trying to compile to a galileo gen 2.

    If I switch to the nano board it compiles fine.
    Thanks.
    Yes, you have to remember to set the target system under Tools > Board.

    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    I was wondering if you had to do anything different to the code for the R3 you first tried?
    The sketch will compile for both Nano and Uno without any modifications.

    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    Also looking at the schematic could U4-3 be replaced with a J113 freeing up the 4066 to add two more sample pulses?
    I think that should work OK.

    Originally posted by godigit1 View Post
    I really like this platform if we add a simple sd card we can boot different detector sketches having multiple machines available.(salt program, deep hole, relic, prospecting machines all in one).

    A few tweaks to the board, Mur 460 dual pre amp, gain pot at Ic3a maybe would be needed of coarse.
    Or even just use the SD for checking many different settings in the field and not having to connect to the Arduino.

    Thanks again .
    As I replied in a previous post, the diode and dual-stage preamp were not included in this design, because I used Surf-PI as a basic core, and these modifications are not really useful for a beach detector. Also, I wanted to keep the design reasonably simple for people who are coming from an Arduino rather than electronics background.

    I agree though ... this platform provides a really good basis from which to try out many different ideas. The Nano gives it great flexibility with the advantage that the IDE is open-source. If anyone wanting to expand on this design could also use DipTrace for schematics and PCB layout, that would allow more people to become involved. The free version of DipTrace is limited to 300 pins, and this design used 210. You can also upgrade to a 500 pin version for only $145, and there are 1000, 2000, and unlimited versions beyond that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantom View Post
    OK. I didn't see any error in the text. Excellent job George and Andy. Also the drawings are clearer than in the Vodoo project book.
    Yes, I learned a lesson from publishing the Voodoo Project where I tried to avoid redrawing the schematics and hence create additional errors. However, it only introduced a different problem. So this time I carefully redrew everything using Inkscape, which has similar capabilities to Visio, but is free.

    Originally posted by Phantom View Post
    Only one question George. Why didn' you include the improvements of the 2 stage preamplifier, and the serial diode in the TX swich as you did in the MPP project?

    It could be for future improvements?

    Regards to all in the forum

    Phantom
    The Arduino Nano PI project is designed for the beach, as its basic core is the Surf-PI. Therefore it was not necessary to include either the series diode or a dual-stage preamp. In fact this design can go as low as 10us for the main sample delay, which is probably a bit too low for wet sand.

    Leave a comment:


  • godigit1
    replied
    Hi Qiaozhi,

    My book arrived last night great job again.
    I was trying to run verify and compile and having problems, but I was trying to compile to a galileo gen 2.

    If I switch to the nano board it compiles fine.
    I was wondering if you had to do anything different to the code for the R3 you first tried?

    Also looking at the schematic could U4-3 be replaced with a J113 freeing up the 4066 to add two more sample pulses?

    I really like this platform if we add a simple sd card we can boot different detector sketches having multiple machines available.(salt program, deep hole, relic, prospecting machines all in one).

    A few tweaks to the board, Mur 460 dual pre amp, gain pot at Ic3a maybe would be needed of coarse.
    Or even just use the SD for checking many different settings in the field and not having to connect to the Arduino.

    Thanks again .

    Leave a comment:


  • Phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    I thought you may have found an error, but in fact that is correct.

    The syncDemodOn state needs to be LOW in order for the input to the sample gate to be HIGH. That's because the signal goes through a voltage converter circuit which inverts the state. The same applies to syncDemodOff. See Fig. 2-1.

    If it had been an error, I was going to blame Andy's proofreading.
    OK. I didn't see any error in the text. Excellent job George and Andy. Also the drawings are clearer than in the Vodoo project book.

    Only one question George. Why didn' you include the improvements of the 2 stage preamplifier, and the serial diode in the TX swich as you did in the MPP project?

    It could be for future improvements?

    Regards to all in the forum

    Phantom

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by bernte_one View Post
    if i get asked for my favourite author of modern literature i can say : oh i got a unique collection of electronic books from G.O.

    btw. did silverdog made a testvideo, would like to hear detection sound
    It sounds like a Surf-PI. The audio tone is 490Hz which varies in volume depending on the strength of the target signal. You can adjust the threshold control to either be silent search or to provide a faint background tone. The latter is preferable if you're looking for small or deep faint targets.

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    if i get asked for my favourite author of modern literature i can say : oh i got a unique collection of electronic books from G.O.

    btw. did silverdog made a testvideo, would like to hear detection sound

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by wallaby View Post
    George: In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this detector vs the Voodoo project?
    The Arduino Nano project is based on the Surf-PI. The Nano provides the +5V supply to the rest of the circuitry, the TX oscillator signal, and all the sample timing. It also generates the audio tone. In the original Surf-PI the audio tone is dependent on the TX pulse rate, but this dependency is removed by the Nano. An additional feature is the Boost switch that changes the TX pulse width from 50us (normal) to 100us (boost). Advantages of this design are that all the design data is open-source. The Arduino sketch is readily modified using the IDE, and the schematic and PCB files can be viewed and modified in DipTrace. Both the Arduino IDE and DipTrace are free.

    Voodoo is a more advanced project which provides ferrous rejection that is not based on target conductivity. The disadvantage for the hobbyist is that the software was developed using mikroElektronika's mikroC Pro platform, and the schematic and layout were designed using EasyPC. Neither of these packages are free.

    It really depends on your perspective as to the pros and cons. Clearly the Arduino Nano detects all metals, and is therefore intended for beach use, whereas Voodoo can also be used inland where other pulse induction designs are not suitable.

    Leave a comment:


  • wallaby
    replied
    George: In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this detector vs the Voodoo project?

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by AK48 View Post
    Interesting ... I've not seen that link before.
    Although the Arduino code is actually for a BFO design, even though he talks a lot about PI in the main text.

    All the Arduino-based PI designs I've seen do not include an EFE sample. They also directly sample the preamp output, and with the Arduino's 10-bit ADC resolution they exhibit poor depth.

    Leave a comment:


  • AK48
    replied
    another thread seems good : https://hack-review.com/software/ard...ctor-by-jorbi/

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    I thought you may have found an error, but in fact that is correct.

    The syncDemodOn state needs to be LOW in order for the input to the sample gate to be HIGH. That's because the signal goes through a voltage converter circuit which inverts the state. The same applies to syncDemodOff. See Fig. 2-1.

    If it had been an error, I was going to blame Andy's proofreading.
    Thanks for the explanation, I was scratching my head.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by surfdetector View Post
    George,
    In reading through the Sketch I have a question about the following line on page 18.

    const byte syncDemodOn = LOW; // Sample gate turns on when input high

    Should the description not be, // Sample gate turns on when input is low
    I thought you may have found an error, but in fact that is correct.

    The syncDemodOn state needs to be LOW in order for the input to the sample gate to be HIGH. That's because the signal goes through a voltage converter circuit which inverts the state. The same applies to syncDemodOff. See Fig. 2-1.

    If it had been an error, I was going to blame Andy's proofreading.

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    George,
    In reading through the Sketch I have a question about the following line on page 18.

    const byte syncDemodOn = LOW; // Sample gate turns on when input high

    Should the description not be, // Sample gate turns on when input is low

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodhi3 View Post
    Very funny!

    I've tried twice (on different days) on the first post link and Amazon.co.uk was saying "OUT OF STOCK" (anyway sometimes has happened to my KDP book too).
    Now everything is OK and I've bought my copy!

    Great job George!

    Regards,
    Leonardo

    Leave a comment:


  • Bodhi3
    replied
    Very funny!

    I've tried twice (on different days) on the first post link and Amazon.co.uk was saying "OUT OF STOCK" (anyway sometimes has happened to my KDP book too).
    Now everything is OK and I've bought my copy!

    Great job George!

    Regards,
    Leonardo

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X