Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Voodoo Main Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by dingbatca View Post
    Is there any where else fellow members would cut corners, or splurge on better parts?
    You would save significantly if you purchased the majority of the parts from Tayda. The price point on the screw terminals alone is worth it.
    Cheers

    Leave a comment:


  • dingbatca
    replied
    Updated to the known working XTAL. Got plenty of plain pin header lying around the house. OUCH! those screw terminals are expensive. Might just stick with simple pin headers. My current BOM is at $58, PDF is attached. I re-worked the capacitors and resistors so save a bit, and have in-stock parts.

    Is there any where else fellow members would cut corners, or splurge on better parts?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    dingbatca,
    The XTAL I used is Mouser #520-ECS200-18-4X-CKM
    The pn 815-ABL-20-B1U you listed should also work.

    surfdetector posted the FQT7N19 MOSFET number

    For 0.1" pins and header I buy 517-929974-01-36-RK & 517-9611366404AR, then cut them to number of pins needed.

    Resistors are 1/4W, 0.3" long body so bent leads are 0.4" to PCB pads.
    100k trim pot 229-CT-9EW104 is correct size.

    I also like those screw terminals and just found them in Mouser, pn 651-1725656.

    For the four push button I soldered on straight pins but then found the LCB interfered with mating header.
    I'm going to replace them with right angle pins like these: 649-1012937990904BLF

    I think you are good to go.

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by dingbatca View Post
    Thanks for the part number 512-FQT7N10LTF. The fact they were SMD was throwing me off. Still hunting for 2/3-pin 100th pin headers on Mouser.
    571-9-146278-0 Mouser
    These are breakaway so you can snap them to what size you want

    Leave a comment:


  • dingbatca
    replied
    Thanks for the part number 512-FQT7N10LTF. The fact they were SMD was throwing me off. Still hunting for 2/3-pin 100th pin headers on Mouser.

    Videos helped, thanks for posting those. I love the use of screw terminal connection you did on the more static connections, like the coil. What's the pitch?

    I also added a few sockets to my cart.
    6X 571-1-2199298-2
    1X 571-1-2199298-4
    1X 571-1-2199299-5

    Leave a comment:


  • surfdetector
    replied
    Originally posted by dingbatca View Post
    Just building up my BOM and I would much appreciate the groups wisdom on what parts I should, or should not use. I have a large portion of this stuff in the shop, but for the sake of completeness, I am trying to get everything documented. I have included the corresponding Mouser part numbers.

    I know I need help with the FQT7N10 mosfet and the 2/3-pin 100th pitch headers. I know there was some chatter earlier on about the correct crystal. Did I get that right?

    My goal is to use quality parts, that have the correct pitch, and are not total overkill. I must admit, all gold sockets are nice, but I am going for a good balance of cost and performance.

    Thanks!
    Here are a couple of part numbers:
    512-FQT7N10LTF Mouser
    A-197 Tayda
    A-236 Tayda

    I did a series of build videos for this project:

    Leave a comment:


  • dingbatca
    replied
    Just building up my BOM and I would much appreciate the groups wisdom on what parts I should, or should not use. I have a large portion of this stuff in the shop, but for the sake of completeness, I am trying to get everything documented. I have included the corresponding Mouser part numbers.

    I know I need help with the FQT7N10 mosfet and the 2/3-pin 100th pitch headers. I know there was some chatter earlier on about the correct crystal. Did I get that right?

    My goal is to use quality parts, that have the correct pitch, and are not total overkill. I must admit, all gold sockets are nice, but I am going for a good balance of cost and performance.

    Thanks!

    Componet Location on PCB Quanty Mouser #
    16x2 LCD Module U4 1 763-0216BZ-RN-YBW
    78L05 +5V regulator U7 1 595-UA78L05CLPR
    79L05 -5V regulator U6 1 595-MC79L05ACLPR
    4066BP bilateral switches U5 1 595-SN74HC4066N
    LT1054 voltage converter U8 1 584-LT1054CN8#PBF
    NE555 timer U11 1 595-NE555P
    NE5532 dual opamp U3 1 595-NE5532P
    PIC18F4520 microcontroller U2 1 579-PIC18F4520-I/P
    TL071 single opamp U1 1 595-TL071CP
    TL072 dual opamp U9-10 2 595-TL072CP
    1N4148 D2-7 6 512-1N4148
    MUR460 D1 1 863-MUR460RLG
    1μF C15-18, C33 5 581-SR215E105MARAP2
    4n7 C19-20, C24 3 80-C322C472F1G
    10nF C25, C30 2 80-MMK5103J50J01L4
    22pF C2, C4 2 81-RDE5C2J220J2M1H3A
    22μF electrolytic C8, C28 2 667-50SEK22M
    47μF electrolytic C3, C6, C9 3 80-A759KS476M1KAAE45
    100nF C5, C7, C22-23, C26-27, C31, C34-35 9 80-R82DC3100AA50K
    100μF electrolytic C13-14, C29, C32 4 80-A750BK107M1AAAE24
    470nF C10-12 3 581-SR215E474ZARTR2
    1000μF electrolytic C1, C21 2 80-A750MV108M1EAAE14
    2N3904 NPN Q2, Q4, Q6-8, Q10, Q12 7 583-2N3904
    2N3906 PNP Q3, Q5, Q9 3 512-2N3906BU
    FQT7N10 mosfet Q11, Q13 2 HELP!
    IRF840 mosfet Q1 1 844-IRF840LCPBF
    2-pin 100th pitch PL1-6, PL10-13 10 Help
    3-pin 100th pitch PL7-8 2 Help
    5-pin ICSP PL9 1 bulk pin headders
    1k R8, R19, R25, R37 R57, R62 6 603-MFR-25FBF52-1K
    1M R18, R58, R63-64 4 603-MFR-25FBF52-1M
    1R0 R6, R53 2 603-MFR-25FBF52-1R
    2M2 R52, R54-55 3 603-MFR-25FBF52-2M2
    3R3 2W R2 1 603-RSF200JT-73-3R3
    5k1 R15 1 603-MFR-25FBF52-5K1
    10k multi-turn trimmer R41 1 229-CT-9EW103
    10k R1, R3-5, R7, R9-13, R23, R26, R28, R33- 36, R39-40, R42-43, R45, R49-50, R56, R60-61, R67 28 603-MFR-25FBF52-10K
    12k R68 1 603-MFR-25FBF52-12K
    20k R24, R48 2 603-MFR-25FBF52-20K
    22k R27, R31, R44, R46-47, R51, R59, R65 8 603-MFR-25FBF52-22K
    27R R17, R32 2 603-MFR-25FBF52-27R
    33k R14, R20 2 603-MFR-25FBF52-33K
    33R R66 1 603-MFR-25FBF52-33R
    100k multi-turn trimmer R22, R30 2 229-CT-9EW104
    100k R16, R21, R29 3 603-MFR-25FBF52-100K
    100R R38 1 603-MFR-25FBF52-100R
    20MHz crystal XTAL1 1 815-ABL-20-B1U

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Its fairly easy if you have a Pmos, ground is the negative battery plate,
    if you have a Nmos ground is positive battery plate.
    If you have a a virtual ground (or virtual earth) then thats a little different,
    usually made from a couple of resisters or an op amp with the node as ground.

    Whats being proposed with the current limiting is a simple 12 volt globe in series with the load powered from the 12 volt side of the power supply which is isolated from the mains.
    I just use an 8 pack of nicads.

    To be clearer Pmos TX and Nmos TX.
    We really need more time to edit thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt_Rowe
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverSurfer17 View Post
    Im using 12 cells at 16 volts then stepping it down. Because with 3 cells you only use around 30% of the battery. With 4 you use around 40% of the battery. Minus the little you use in the converter.
    just use one of these, and reverse the center or end one, so you get 12 volts, youll want 2 negs and 1 pos on one end.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	3x18650 holder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	359165
    J $2.69 with free shipping from ebay
    Last edited by Matt_Rowe; 02-15-2021, 01:56 AM. Reason: i forget things chemo brain

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Its fairly easy if you have a Pmos, ground is the negative battery plate,
    if you have a Nmos ground is positive battery plate.
    If you have a a virtual ground (or virtual earth) then thats a little different,
    usually made from a couple of resisters or an op amp with the node as ground.

    Whats being proposed with the current limiting is a simple 12 volt globe in series with the load powered from the 12 volt side of the power supply which is isolated from the mains.
    I just use an 8 pack of nicads.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Not to show my age... but I remember when our automobile electrical systems was 6V, POSITIVE ground!
    Yep same here in Oz.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt_Rowe View Post
    theres actually quite a few instances especially in the marine industry and boating where Positive grounded systems are the norm. Also especially on some vehicles.
    Not to show my age... but I remember when our automobile electrical systems was 6V, POSITIVE ground!

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt_Rowe
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverSurfer17 View Post
    Ok i will hunt down a 40 watt bulb. Ill order the bms also and the converter.

    this is how to build a house supply current limiter, for just a few dollars,the plug on the right side of picture is just a standard 2 socket you use in a wall. the light buld could be 20 watt night light, and the light socket is the clay one that gets used in closets, 20 watt still be to much in a MD circuit

    Click image for larger version

Name:	110 volt safety current limiter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	359163

    Click image for larger version

Name:	current limietr 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	359164
    Last edited by Matt_Rowe; 02-15-2021, 01:03 AM. Reason: forget things

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt_Rowe
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverSurfer17 View Post
    Ill just order the 4s and the converter and isolate it from the house ground no biggie i can move around with the detector then anyway ok thank you very much guys much appreciated

    you have to use a power supply not connected to your house at all, unless you dont use the neutral or ground, when you have a house current any extra that the device is not using flows back through the neutral wire, back to the utility, and the neutral wire is connected to ground at the service panel.
    So you can have current flowing in reverse through your neutral wire into your ground, that is why us electricians always make sure the breaker is turned off before we work on a circuit,In our line of work, the neutral wire is also called a common wire, its named common because its the common test point for all circuits since all neutrals are connected in a house, and neutral gets connected to ground, so actually ground can basically be called a common wire

    Leave a comment:


  • Matt_Rowe
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverSurfer17 View Post
    Bizzaro world where the positive of a battery is the ground

    theres actually quite a few instances especially in the marine industry and boating where Positive grounded systems are the norm. Also especially on some vehicles.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X