Micheal, you should look at the VCO schematic I drew in LTspice and compare against the perfboard you constructed. Maybe I made a mistake transcribing into Eagle, or maybe you made a mistake in wiring. In any case I'm glad a whole lot of time and energy wasn't wasted. But we haven't learned anything because the problem remains unsolved.
There are plenty of things I don't know but every auto threshold adjust I remember seeing is between two capacitively coupled amplifier stages. Unfortunately, the XL500 is DC coupled throughout. Look at the Hammerhead and see its auto circuit.
It is only two added parts, but again it is between two capacitively coupled stages.
It occurs to me that the auto threshold circuits I have encountered are intended to prevent the output from saturating and causing false target - the opposite of what you previously described (signal fading).
Perhaps what you need is a switching regulator to maintain your power supply at 8V throughout your battery's discharge. For my detector, I would not have it any other way. I used LTspice to devise my power supplies, but neither of my projects is finished so I can't say "for sure" that my switching power supplies will do all that I want. But all my eggs are in the switcher basket.
Have you measured the battery voltage to see if it is actually sagging as you suspect?
Do-it-yourself switchers aren't expensive but they require a carefully crafted PCB for good results.
edit: I just now looked at your previous post. You should clean the flux off the circuit board where you soldered. Alcohol works pretty good.
There are plenty of things I don't know but every auto threshold adjust I remember seeing is between two capacitively coupled amplifier stages. Unfortunately, the XL500 is DC coupled throughout. Look at the Hammerhead and see its auto circuit.
It is only two added parts, but again it is between two capacitively coupled stages.
It occurs to me that the auto threshold circuits I have encountered are intended to prevent the output from saturating and causing false target - the opposite of what you previously described (signal fading).
Perhaps what you need is a switching regulator to maintain your power supply at 8V throughout your battery's discharge. For my detector, I would not have it any other way. I used LTspice to devise my power supplies, but neither of my projects is finished so I can't say "for sure" that my switching power supplies will do all that I want. But all my eggs are in the switcher basket.
Have you measured the battery voltage to see if it is actually sagging as you suspect?
Do-it-yourself switchers aren't expensive but they require a carefully crafted PCB for good results.
edit: I just now looked at your previous post. You should clean the flux off the circuit board where you soldered. Alcohol works pretty good.

.
Comment