Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICKINI V4 - an easy to build, self adjusting PI detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Any progress yet anyone? It's gone very quiet on here lately!,,LOL,,,Regards, Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • Goaty
    replied
    Originally posted by Guzzi View Post
    Hi all

    1206 is my favorite and the caps are Tantalum and two Elco's. There is no bigger value than 220 uF in that size.
    If you use 805 do not sneeze.

    Thanks Guzzi
    I sort of worked out from your board photos that you may have used 1206s but if you think 0805 will fit I will probably go with them. I have successfully used as small as 0603 but I think it would be a bit of a stretch to get them between the pads on this board. Have to be particularly careful with the smaller sizes when there is a track to be bridged between the pads and I often put a narrow strip of Kapton tape under the component just to be sure of no short circuits.I have read somewhere that the larger sizes are more prone to stress damage when soldered in place. It all seems to be a juggling act with smd R & C as there is no 'give' in their bodies and the solder pads can be pulled free - it gets worse with increasing size. Working against this is the lower wattage of the smaller components.

    Worse than losing components through sneezing is having them fly out of the tweezers - I usually just get a new one as it's not worth the effort and time spent looking for them.

    @666
    I think I could lose a whole PC board in my carpet - the military would probably be able to use it as camouflage! It's amazing how many small items just disappear when dropped on it and the multitude of component pigtails embedded it it make it a painful exercise to search by running your hand over it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by Goaty View Post
    What size resistors and caps did you use? I'm just about to order some and can't decide between 1206 or 0805.


    You can find 1206 in the carpet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guzzi
    replied
    Hi all

    1206 is my favorite and the caps are Tantalum and two Elco's. There is no bigger value than 220 uF in that size.
    If you use 805 do not sneeze.

    Leave a comment:


  • Goaty
    replied
    Originally posted by Guzzi View Post
    Hello All
    Just finished my Pickini SMD and it works.Not tested outside, but promising.
    Used Pickini HEX 4.4. I used the bottom layer as ground.[ATTACH]48338[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48337[/ATTACH][ATTACH]48339[/ATTACH]

    What size resistors and caps did you use? I'm just about to order some and can't decide between 1206 or 0805.

    Leave a comment:


  • Goaty
    replied
    Originally posted by MartyJ1963 View Post
    @Goaty,,I know, it's probably been the worst bush fire episode I've known in my life time,,hope your son stays safe up there in N.S.W (My home state), it's heartbreaking to see all that beautiful countryside reduced to nothing,,hope they get it under control soon mate,,
    I may build this little SMD board myself soon,,I've got some more PIC's on order,,,,keep us posted on your build,,Regards,,Marty

    Thanks for your kind thoughts Marty. Seems like my son has had his fair share of excitement up there - he had a brown snake slither between his feet while push starting a workmate's car just last week - that got his pulse-rate up!

    I'm just about to look at Guzzi's board layout and hope I don't get diverted again - Have 2 smd boards started already. I may get to finish one soon!

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    @Goaty,,I know, it's probably been the worst bush fire episode I've known in my life time,,hope your son stays safe up there in N.S.W (My home state), it's heartbreaking to see all that beautiful countryside reduced to nothing,,hope they get it under control soon mate,,
    I may build this little SMD board myself soon,,I've got some more PIC's on order,,,,keep us posted on your build,,Regards,,Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • Goaty
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    It was +35'c here today and hotter elsewhere.

    +40 tomorrow.

    We had 42deg C yesterday - looks like it is on the way over to you. Been quite a few serious bushfires around the state so I hope you don't get any. I spoke to my son in northern NSW yesterday and he can't believe that the rainforest has be burning up there.
    I thing we're back to a max of around 20deg C today!

    Thanks Marty & Guzzi for posting the files. I haven't had a chance to look at them yet today but it's on the agenda.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guzzi
    replied
    Thanks for the compliment, but the honor goes to Nick Holas, who helped me get started with his design.

    Regards

    Leendert

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Guzzi had a slight problem in trying to upload his Pickini 4 SMD Layout here on Geotech so he kindly sent a copy to my email address for me to upload for other members who may wish to build this working version,,,Thanks Guzzi, you're a Gent. Regards,,,Marty
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    @Guzzi,,,I love Holland,,I used to work in Staphorst and Zwolle and Holland is like England in that it's always wet and always cold,,It's quite cold here now so I know how you feel!,,@6666,,wish I was back home in OZ but I can only dream of those nice warm temps and wait for next Spring,,Lol. Regards,,Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by Guzzi View Post
    Zero degrees keeps me inside the house.
    I tried to copy the Sprint Layout file but it failed.


    It was +35'c here today and hotter elsewhere.

    +40 tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guzzi
    replied
    Zero degrees keeps me inside the house.
    I tried to copy the Sprint Layout file but it failed.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Any news on your tests yet Guzzi?,,,,eagerly awaiting,,,,Regards,,Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • Goaty
    replied
    Originally posted by waltr View Post
    Nice ground plane.
    I like doing a full ground plane as it tends to reduce noise.

    Snap!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5885.resized.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	355621

    Top Side
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5886.resized.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	355622

    Looks good Guzzi. Nice solid tracks. Keen to hear how it works outside.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X