Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Don's Coil

    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    I would say never worse than 30cm with a 9 or 10" coil. The 10" coil that I have been using I can max out at around 36cm (before I start to pick up noise) when it's late at night and everything in the house is turned off. Actual ground conditions cut detection range in half around where I live. Sometimes I hit a sandy area where I get surprised by digging a coin relatively deep - 10" or so.

    With that being said, I made a coil for Stefano and he was getting about 25" on his TGSL. I had tested at 30cm before I sent it to him. ( I should have made a video just for reference and sent it to him).

    I have one coil that's a fluke. I can detect a 1e at 40-45cm. Odd thing is, I GB to ferrite, accept anything non-ferrous but I cannot detect ferrous correctly in the AM mode!! The phasing is off somehow so the coil is not "right". It works fantasic out relic hunting though. Here it is set up on the "bleeding edge" Not to practical set up that way

    Don http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytiLKZ-ybc&list=UU2iY7v0Vr5rzuhKKOIoCBxg&index=10&feature =plcp
    Can you look at the phase difference on a scope for us please? I personally find the fact that it ignores steel to be a good "failure" so to say......such a search depth, up against a garage door(?) with a steel rule alkongside.....wow....

    Do you have an IGSL? If yes, qhat does it think about this coil?

    I would be most interested to find out what is "wrong/right" with this coil, if you have the time and interest yourself of course. I am sure I am not alone.

    Thanks in advance
    Andy

    PS. Don, you are a great "read" in all your posts, or a great "see" when your videos are posted, very well done.....one of my favourite reads here.....

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
    Hi Simon
    Thanks for your quick responce, These day all my tests are done out in the garden outside my workshop where I have a test bed with various metals/coins and also scatter on the surphase for various tests, far as air testing its also done outside wether permitting on a plastic table.
    Your very correct when saying workshop tests are not much of a test for these machines, I learned from old the minelab multifrequency machines wont even work in workshop conditions they either constantly screech or nothing at all theres no in between , the whites 1v and DFX are not much better.
    Cutting back on the ground balance does improve it but optium performance is with the control bang on in the middle.
    Since I mounted the coil and control box to a stem I can turn the gain up three quarters and it works perfect detecting in real ground conditions, Disc spot on works as good if not better than any of my other detectors including the Quattro and the 1265x.
    The only thing thats needed to improve is depth im so sure that if all things were right should be getting say 25-28cm in real soil conditions, the difference between air testing and ground detecting is about 1cm max which considering the iron content we have over here in are soils id say that side of things is near if not perfect.
    And that what pushed me to start building a second machine because If can crack the problem working between two machines its going to help a big bunch of people on here, and Simon im determined to crack it if nobody beats me to it.
    The biggest improvements to date are silverdogs latest mods with the 1 meg resistors and ivonics preset in the TX stage which gives more compatabilty when changing different coils, just gives the edge required.
    So all is good apart from depth which judging by others on here, mine is lacking
    Many thanks
    Regards
    I'm sure you'll crack it with enough tries -- I'm still trying...

    What do you use for coil shielding? People seem to be finding that conductive mylar works better than, say, foil.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
    Hi DON
    For a matter of interest and guide lines what depth are you getting in real terms with your standard home brew coil and or the Tesro 8" round manufacture coil.
    The reason why I ask is because between the 8" Tesro coil wired as Tesro design and my home brews built to spec wired either your wet grass way or Tesro configuration theres very little in it, so what are you getting in distance outside with air testing then in real terms on ground depth.
    Because I dont think anyone is getting better than you on here so it will give me and everyone else on here a goal to go for.
    My 21cm is either a english 2p or £1 coin, £2 coin 22cm a english modern 5 pence which is small and crap metal im getting 20cm, all sounds are solid beeps, if I counted the end chirps when going out of range you can add aprox 1-2cm.

    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    I would say never worse than 30cm with a 9 or 10" coil. The 10" coil that I have been using I can max out at around 36cm (before I start to pick up noise) when it's late at night and everything in the house is turned off. Actual ground conditions cut detection range in half around where I live. Sometimes I hit a sandy area where I get surprised by digging a coin relatively deep - 10" or so.

    With that being said, I made a coil for Stefano and he was getting about 25" on his TGSL. I had tested at 30cm before I sent it to him. ( I should have made a video just for reference and sent it to him).

    I have one coil that's a fluke. I can detect a 1e at 40-45cm. Odd thing is, I GB to ferrite, accept anything non-ferrous but I cannot detect ferrous correctly in the AM mode!! The phasing is off somehow so the coil is not "right". It works fantasic out relic hunting though. Here it is set up on the "bleeding edge" Not to practical set up that way

    Don http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytiLKZ-ybc&list=UU2iY7v0Vr5rzuhKKOIoCBxg&index=10&feature =plcp

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Cutting back on the GB setting of mine makes a marked improvement as well, and the only way I know of to get a bit of extra detection range. The setting of my GB trimmer is different with ferrite as compared to actual ground conditions anyway (for the better).

    As for the noise thing, I have been experimenting with larger coil size (in the basement). One day, I can detect coins at 40cm, the next day only 30cm. Nothing has changed!! (except the noise level).. Now I just need an oven big enough to form a 15" coil. Anyone have a "pizza" oven for sale?

    Another idea I have been playing around with is a full differential front end, like what the guys have been experimenting with in the PI forum. Does anyone out there have any experiences with full differential front ends in IB detectors? I think that Mikebg has the right idea, but the coil geometery seems to be a deterrent.

    Don
    Hi DON
    For a matter of interest and guide lines what depth are you getting in real terms with your standard home brew coil and or the Tesro 8" round manufacture coil.
    The reason why I ask is because between the 8" Tesro coil wired as Tesro design and my home brews built to spec wired either your wet grass way or Tesro configuration theres very little in it, so what are you getting in distance outside with air testing then in real terms on ground depth.
    Because I dont think anyone is getting better than you on here so it will give me and everyone else on here a goal to go for.
    My 21cm is either a english 2p or £1 coin, £2 coin 22cm a english modern 5 pence which is small and crap metal im getting 20cm, all sounds are solid beeps, if I counted the end chirps when going out of range you can add aprox 1-2cm.

    Thanks in advance
    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Do you find backing off the ground balance setting increases your distance at all?

    Also, if you have EMI in your workshop, it will probably be impossible to demonstrate the full depth. The TGS design is very noise sensitive, and the signal cuts out in the presence of noise. You would think it would just add noise, but instead it appears to kill weak signals, so only the stronger target signals can get through the final noise filter.

    -SB

    Regards,

    -SB
    Hi Simon
    Thanks for your quick responce, These day all my tests are done out in the garden outside my workshop where I have a test bed with various metals/coins and also scatter on the surphase for various tests, far as air testing its also done outside wether permitting on a plastic table.
    Your very correct when saying workshop tests are not much of a test for these machines, I learned from old the minelab multifrequency machines wont even work in workshop conditions they either constantly screech or nothing at all theres no in between , the whites 1v and DFX are not much better.
    Cutting back on the ground balance does improve it but optium performance is with the control bang on in the middle.
    Since I mounted the coil and control box to a stem I can turn the gain up three quarters and it works perfect detecting in real ground conditions, Disc spot on works as good if not better than any of my other detectors including the Quattro and the 1265x.
    The only thing thats needed to improve is depth im so sure that if all things were right should be getting say 25-28cm in real soil conditions, the difference between air testing and ground detecting is about 1cm max which considering the iron content we have over here in are soils id say that side of things is near if not perfect.
    And that what pushed me to start building a second machine because If can crack the problem working between two machines its going to help a big bunch of people on here, and Simon im determined to crack it if nobody beats me to it.
    The biggest improvements to date are silverdogs latest mods with the 1 meg resistors and ivonics preset in the TX stage which gives more compatabilty when changing different coils, just gives the edge required.
    So all is good apart from depth which judging by others on here, mine is lacking
    Many thanks
    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Do you find backing off the ground balance setting increases your distance at all?

    Also, if you have EMI in your workshop, it will probably be impossible to demonstrate the full depth. The TGS design is very noise sensitive, and the signal cuts out in the presence of noise. You would think it would just add noise, but instead it appears to kill weak signals, so only the stronger target signals can get through the final noise filter.

    -SB

    Regards,

    -SB
    Cutting back on the GB setting of mine makes a marked improvement as well, and the only way I know of to get a bit of extra detection range. The setting of my GB trimmer is different with ferrite as compared to actual ground conditions anyway (for the better).

    As for the noise thing, I have been experimenting with larger coil size (in the basement). One day, I can detect coins at 40cm, the next day only 30cm. Nothing has changed!! (except the noise level).. Now I just need an oven big enough to form a 15" coil. Anyone have a "pizza" oven for sale?

    Another idea I have been playing around with is a full differential front end, like what the guys have been experimenting with in the PI forum. Does anyone out there have any experiences with full differential front ends in IB detectors? I think that Mikebg has the right idea, but the coil geometery seems to be a deterrent.

    Don

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by satdaveuk View Post
    Don your mode changing the two 470k for 1 megs, lovely job and still remains stable on the ground, certainly increased the sens of mine by at least 20-25% using tesro manufacture coil and home brew with no other kick backs, so your the man of the moment so to speak.
    Saying that im still only getting 21-22cm solid sounds on a modern 2p air test and almost the same from the ground, though ive checked everything with a fine toothcomb and all reads as should do far as the manual says, so ive just etched another PCB and going to build another machine from scratch and see if theres any theres any improvement.
    In the mean time if anyone here can think of something ive missed please let me know
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Do you find backing off the ground balance setting increases your distance at all?

    Also, if you have EMI in your workshop, it will probably be impossible to demonstrate the full depth. The TGS design is very noise sensitive, and the signal cuts out in the presence of noise. You would think it would just add noise, but instead it appears to kill weak signals, so only the stronger target signals can get through the final noise filter.

    -SB

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Hi, Jerry.

    Maybe you can verify my findings. By replacing the 470K resistors with 1M and using 10uF capacitors, you will almost double the gain of the detector. It will definitly make it more sensitive. But I found that the AM mode makes the TGSL difficult to keep quiet unless you are far away from sources of electrical noise.

    Also, it changes the overall frequency response so that you may sweep the detector very slow and still get a good signal. Just be aware of the behavior differences and you should be fine. There was a post by Simon where he did a Spice simulation and confirmed this.
    Don
    Don your mode changing the two 470k for 1 megs, lovely job and still remains stable on the ground, certainly increased the sens of mine by at least 20-25% using tesro manufacture coil and home brew with no other kick backs, so your the man of the moment so to speak.
    Saying that im still only getting 21-22cm solid sounds on a modern 2p air test and almost the same from the ground, though ive checked everything with a fine toothcomb and all reads as should do far as the manual says, so ive just etched another PCB and going to build another machine from scratch and see if theres any theres any improvement.
    In the mean time if anyone here can think of something ive missed please let me know
    Many thanks
    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • francisco2006
    replied
    DD Coils problems

    hello everyone, finally got enameled 0.26 mm wire diameter and follow the general tutorial (TGSLCoil Making.pdf) IVCONIC to make the DD coils, and did 98 laps = TX and RX = 107 turns. I wrapped the two coils in the same direction (the two coils are equal), and put silver ribbon as Faraday and joined the wire at the End of the two coils, do not know if it is how you do it, why not shut up and not with the beepppp adjust anything. I think I explained well.

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Hey Simon!

    Yes, the one on the left is civil war pattern. I have several that I dug in Maryland that look the same. Since the Spanish -American war was only 30 some years after the civil war, I'm wondering if they just used surplus items in some cases. I've found 12 buttons in the campsite so far. They are gold plated, thin brass.
    Finding them with the TGSL requires a very low level of disc., almost as low as foil. I have to adjust mine to just eliminate hot rocks and still accept the buttons.
    Yes your right Don and if your not picking up bits of foil you certainly wont be picking up small silver and the pre 1937 tanner.
    setting up the TGSL is the same as with my Whites 1V and the Fisher 1265x plus ML Quattro

    Regards

    Leave a comment:


  • satdaveuk
    replied
    mods

    This message is mainly for Don and Vladimirs
    Hi hope all is well
    I noticed that Dons R29/31 are 1megs and you have decked the sens pot direct to earth doing away with R37.
    On the other hand Vladimirs R29/31 IS 1.5 megs and he has left R37 in circuit together with a few other mods introduced D18 Zener, and R26/28 from 47k to 200k, also in the RX block hes introduced a 10k pot.
    Can you both explain the pros and cons and give me a insight to them before trying them out please, im sure its all said here somewhere but i dont fancy tredging through all the pages again.
    Also if anyone has the time can one of you make me a PCB layout where as the pots can be all mounted on the pcb and bolted to earth so i can build a housing where the pcb can be slid in as a complete item rather than mounting seperately.

    Hope im not asking to much of you all
    Warm regards

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    Hi, Jerry.

    Maybe you can verify my findings. By replacing the 470K resistors with 1M and using 10uF capacitors, you will almost double the gain of the detector. It will definitly make it more sensitive. But I found that the AM mode makes the TGSL difficult to keep quiet unless you are far away from sources of electrical noise.

    Also, it changes the overall frequency response so that you may sweep the detector very slow and still get a good signal. Just be aware of the behavior differences and you should be fine. There was a post by Simon where he did a Spice simulation and confirmed this.
    Don
    Thanks for the info Don. I vaguely remember you and Simon talking about that about a year ago. I will give it a try and see what happens. I prefer a detector that has more gain than is usable in some locations as long as the sensitivity can be set to a stable point.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    Thanks. I was comparing it to Ivconics schematic which already had the two 10 uf.
    I have 470k in my TGSL, may try 1meg and see what happens.

    Jerry
    Hi, Jerry.

    Maybe you can verify my findings. By replacing the 470K resistors with 1M and using 10uF capacitors, you will almost double the gain of the detector. It will definitly make it more sensitive. But I found that the AM mode makes the TGSL difficult to keep quiet unless you are far away from sources of electrical noise.

    Also, it changes the overall frequency response so that you may sweep the detector very slow and still get a good signal. Just be aware of the behavior differences and you should be fine. There was a post by Simon where he did a Spice simulation and confirmed this.
    Don

    Leave a comment:


  • eduardo1979
    replied
    Will gain in depth. Works for me very well. The detector is very stable and does not false signals. The coil wire is connected by Don DFBOWERS. It is a USB cable.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by eduardo1979 View Post
    R29 and R31=1M. On the PCB TGSL-EDU C14 and C17=22uF + 22uF are in series = 11uF. I recommend everyone to have this PCB.Capacitors by substituting these series 10uF + 10uF= 5uF.
    Thanks. I was comparing it to Ivconics schematic which already had the two 10 uf.
    I have 470k in my TGSL, may try 1meg and see what happens.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X