Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BARACUDA-Legend-1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6666
    replied
    Thanks its good to know these things

    Leave a comment:


  • porkluvr
    replied
    You would also want to have 270k matched. By the way, notice that the two 470nF are 1% units according to the schematic.

    If Silverdog's resistors are 1% tolerance you should be in pretty good shape.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Interesting about the resisters, are you only talking about R22/23 1K
    silverdog kit has metal film, so should be reasonably close match ?

    Leave a comment:


  • porkluvr
    replied
    If you don't match the resistors in the differential amplifier... then it would probably be a waste of time to go to the trouble of matching the FETs.

    When you purchase ten resistors of x (+/- 5%) value, chances are that most of them will fall within 2% of each other, but there is always the chance that one or two will be at the extremes of their rated value. Lesson of the story: match the resistors.

    I read somewhere that Mr. Anchor (not his real name) would spend time with each detector. I wonder how much of that time was spent sorting out component...?

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Hi Ap
    thanks , I have an opportunity to buy a bulk lot of fets
    so it will be the 2n5485 fets, when they arrive
    I will try and find a matched pair and attack the Bara
    with the soldering iron

    cheers

    Leave a comment:


  • ApBerg
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Hi AP
    with all your testing with matched 2N5485 and Mpf102 fets
    if you had a choice between the two which would you prefer
    for best performance ?
    thanks

    Think there is not much differents between them, as long as they are close matched.
    Also I had some J310 fets... after testing them it seems the al where close in tolerants .. they also worked in the baracuda..
    If I had to make a choice it is the 2N5485 I use, just a feeling...

    .... it is as porklver explains, look at his explanation here post # 193, a few posts earlier..

    Best regards.

    Ap

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Hi AP
    with all your testing with matched 2N5485 and Mpf102 fets
    if you had a choice between the two which would you prefer
    for best performance ?
    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • maikl
    replied
    Originally posted by Rom_1 View Post
    What is the best for Q3 and Q4?
    Hi Rom_1. It seems does not work very well Google translator (English - French). The best combination is Q3=2N5485 and Q4=MPF102. Best regards.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rom_1
    replied
    What is the best for Q3 and Q4?

    Leave a comment:


  • ApBerg
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Hi AP
    thanks

    sorry for my poorly worded question
    what I was trying to ask was
    what are the complete numbers on the chips
    for example ne5534XYZ
    and LM358XYZ

    thanks
    cheers
    Hello,

    Made a small test... for U2 I only have the Ne5534p ...

    for U4 I tested 8 IC's, they als work and not much differents .... I like the LM358 (j4k527) the TLC272 and the lF442 ... some re-adjustment with the tune(threshold) potentiometer is needed , but then they al get good sens....

    Best regards

    Ap
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • porkluvr
    replied
    If you have two 2N5485, use them for Q3, Q4 and use 2N5458 in less critical slot, say Q5 or Q12.

    2N5458 is not really a good substitute for the sample circuit around U4 (partnering with 2N5485) but it might work dandy somewhere else.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rom_1
    replied
    Hi, new in this forum, i just received my baracuda kit from Silverdog. In my kit i have as Q3 a 2n5458 instead of the 2n5485. Can i use it to replace the 2n5485?
    Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • DOOLEY
    replied
    good question 6666,

    chip specs vary quite allot depending on the designation AFTER the "normal" part number we usualy only refere to.

    only the other day , i happened to be looking at TL071's , 7 different designations ,

    all with different max voltages , and different offset's (3 to 10 mV),

    buying online can be a chance , poor / average / good spec.

    only found the difference when on rs site.

    i'll certanly be double checking the full part number in future

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Hi AP
    thanks

    sorry for my poorly worded question
    what I was trying to ask was
    what are the complete numbers on the chips
    for example ne5534XYZ
    and LM358XYZ

    thanks
    cheers

    Leave a comment:


  • ApBerg
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    AP
    just for interest would you mind telling me the exact part number on U2 and U4
    that you used in your Bara please

    thanks
    Hello

    For U2 I used NE5534 and for U4 the LM358 ....

    Best regards.

    Ap

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X