• Show
Clear All

@ivconic:

Here are some more resources I found in my archive about calibration:

http://www.geotech1.com/pages/mag/in...nsors1_150.pdf
    https://www.cv.nrao.edu/~demerson/cs/magnet.htm
    https://www.cv.nrao.edu/~demerson/cs/magtherm.htm
    https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/han...ew_Russell.pdf

Have you ever considered to build a Proton Precession Magnetometer?

Comment

Thanks!
      Now... about the drifts;
      i noticed that sun activities during the day (especially in summer) can affect the earth magnetic field so that values can jump significantly above (rarely bellow) the referent values on that area.
      Those changes can last even 3-4 hours, usually after the noon.
      This can be monitored precisely with sensor mounted on a roof and connected to a logger.
      I was always asking myself how to tell the difference between such "drifts" caused by sun activities and the thermal drifts within the sensor?
      How to be sure which is which, in cases when drifts are smaller than something we can call an "anomaly"?
      This is interesting to explore in situations where we use only one sensor.
      Idea is to monitor earth magnetic field during the day and "see" the results and influence of sun activities.
      This is not directly related to topic, yet is worth to be mentioned; common VLF, I/B metal detectors can behave dramatically different depending on the time of a day.
      I noticed so many times sudden change of "mood" at most of the detectors i had so far, while walking with it from one side of hill to another.
      Sometimes walking from shaded area to sun exposed area. Sometimes it behaves early in the morning different from what's happening later afternoon.
      Yes there is direct dependency on soil mineralization. But what if coil is risen far from soil? Changes in behavior are still there at those cases i had.
      So... i would finish one sensor version and pack it in small portable enclosure and take it with me next time i go with Deus to visit sites.
      Literally to "pinpoint" such cases and see what is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by ivconic View Post
        Thanks!
        Now... about the drifts;
        i noticed that sun activities during the day (especially in summer) can affect the earth magnetic field so that values can jump significantly above (rarely bellow) the referent values on that area.
        Those changes can last even 3-4 hours, usually after the noon.
        This can be monitored precisely with sensor mounted on a roof and connected to a logger.
        I was always asking myself how to tell the difference between such "drifts" caused by sun activities and the thermal drifts within the sensor?
        How to be sure which is which, in cases when drifts are smaller than something we can call an "anomaly"?
        This is interesting to explore in situations where we use only one sensor.
        Idea is to monitor earth magnetic field during the day and "see" the results and influence of sun activities.
        This is not directly related to topic, yet is worth to be mentioned; common VLF, I/B metal detectors can behave dramatically different depending on the time of a day.
        I noticed so many times sudden change of "mood" at most of the detectors i had so far, while walking with it from one side of hill to another.
        Sometimes walking from shaded area to sun exposed area. Sometimes it behaves early in the morning different from what's happening later afternoon.
        Yes there is direct dependency on soil mineralization. But what if coil is risen far from soil? Changes in behavior are still there at those cases i had.
        So... i would finish one sensor version and pack it in small portable enclosure and take it with me next time i go with Deus to visit sites.
        Literally to "pinpoint" such cases and see what is all about.
        Participated in some archaeological surveying, they rarely use a single magnetometer. Most of the time it was a gradiometer, so temporal changes affecting both sensors can be cancelled, or they have a "stationary" magnetometer nearby which is subtracted from the mobile one, usually there's also a second GPS receiver for differential GPS.

Best is to place the sensor in an insulated styrofoam box below the ground where temperature stays constant during the day and use that as reference, see this project for example: http://www.reeve.com/FGMSensors.htm

Comment

"...Idea is to monitor earth magnetic field during the day and "see" the results and influence of sun activities..."

Maybe this will look like too ambitious; but in time i would like to be able to predict "the harm" and "the hazard" of being exposed directly to sun, during the day.
          Especially during the day in summer.
          If we could do that with high accuracy; we could also know when to sit at home in shade and when is "clear" to go outdoor freely.
          As it is already very obvious; things on planet are changing fast and dramatically.
          I am afraid that time will come (maybe it already came) that it would be very dangerous to leave a home in certain periods of a day.
          Those sun "radiations" must be directly to affects the earth magnetic field and must be detectable... at least indirectly somehow.
          I hope that magnetomer/radiometer is enough good "poor mans" solution for such task.

Comment

Originally posted by sled View Post
            Participated in some archaeological surveying, they rarely use a single magnetometer. Most of the time it was a gradiometer, so temporal changes affecting both sensors can be cancelled, or they have a "stationary" magnetometer nearby which is subtracted from the mobile one, usually there's also a second GPS receiver for differential GPS.

Best is to place the sensor in an insulated styrofoam box below the ground where temperature stays constant during the day and use that as reference, see this project for example: http://www.reeve.com/FGMSensors.htm
            I've seen that.
            It is alright.
            But i would like to avoid any eventual influence of the soil, that's why i am thinking on mounting it high on a roof.
            Ok, it is good hint; to isolate it good and to "fix" the temperature.

Comment

I am afraid that time will come (maybe it already came) that it would be very dangerous to leave a home in certain periods of a day.
              Those sun "radiations" must be directly to affects the earth magnetic field and must be detectable... at least indirectly somehow.
              I hope that magnetomer/radiometer is enough good "poor mans" solution for such task.

Checkout uRad Monitor an IoT environmental sensor, you can view details of other sensors nearby: https://www.uradmonitor.com/

Here's one close to my place: https://www.uradmonitor.com/tools/da...?open=82000076

Comment

Originally posted by sled View Post
                Checkout uRad Monitor an IoT environmental sensor, you can view details of other sensors nearby: https://www.uradmonitor.com/

Here's one close to my place: https://www.uradmonitor.com/tools/da...?open=82000076
                That's COOL stuff!

But i don't see magnetometry feature on the list?

Comment

That's COOL stuff!

But i don't see magnetometry feature on the list?

Unfortunately no magnetometry, but there are many IoT Dashboard platforms where you could transmit your measurements to for visualisation and aggregation.

Comment

Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
                    Be prepared to sacrifice quite a lot of filament during experimentation. Getting the nozzle and bed temperatures correct is important, and particularly the gap between the nozzle and bed. What surprised me was how little filament is actually used to create a model, and how long it takes to print. Printing from SD card is the most reliable.
                    Repetier-Host software can be used to slice the stl file, and shows how long the printing will take and how much filament is required. You can also adjust the printer settings from there.
                    Again on this...
                    Correct. I got 2kg filament, 2 colors.
                    I started several attempts and wasted ~50gr of material so far.
                    Than i changed my mind and stop printing those, because it was obvious that it is going messy from a start.
                    Than i start adjusting the finest details.
                    Very nice thing about Cura (i guess at other similar software too) is that you can set the printing "Profile" with all the details on settings included.
                    So step by step i made first good profile and saved it on disk.
                    Than i looked up for how other people did it.
                    And there is also another nice thing; you can export profiles and exchange with people over the net.
                    So i founded several helping demonstrations also offering printing profiles.
                    This is really good for a novice!
                    Saves lot of time and head scratching.
                    We can simply exchange profiles for different kinds of works.

Example:

Comment

Lot of trials&errors, lot of experimenting...
                      So far i founded out only 3 perfect profiles for nice printing.
                      Hat down to one who shared them over the net.
                      Attached Files

Comment

in german but i think it can help too
                        the most failures and what to do
                        https://einfach3ddruck.de/sos-druckf...ektiv-beheben/

last Weekend i got 1mm nozzle, printing is very quick now
                        for example for a 1mm wall the Printer drives only one time on the layer, with 0,4mm you Need 3 times (with a bit overlapping)

Comment

Prototype in action... already!

Click image for larger version

Name:	magic3d_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	352076

Name:	magic3d_002.jpg
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	352077

Name:	magic3d_003.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	352078

Name:	magic3d_004.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	352079

Name:	magic3d_005.jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	352080

Comment

Magnetic switch:

Comment

Comment

Trying to make "perfect" enclosure for this.
                                This was first attempt from the other day.
                                Now i am printing improved one, with some modifications and additions.

Name:	20180823_220621.jpg
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	352083

Name:	20180823_220632.jpg
Size:	622.9 KB
ID:	352084

Name:	20180823_220642.jpg