No announcement yet.

Ivconic Magnetometer/Gradiometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ivconic, what program use for creating model enclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by saba View Post
      Hi Ivconic, what program use for creating model enclosure?
      Tinkercad, it is online.
      Later on i download the model and continue to work on details in Freecad and Meshlab.

Comment

Ivconic looks like you are an expert on 3D now

Do you like your printer ?
        is there anything really bad with the printer ?
        is the design strong ?
        would you say the ender 3 would be a good beginners printer ?
        did you make the extra parts to make it work better ?
        the maker claims it only takes 20 screws and a couple of hours to put together, is that true ?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 6666 View Post
          Ivconic looks like you are an expert on 3D now

Do you like your printer ?
          is there anything really bad with the printer ?
          is the design strong ?
          would you say the ender 3 would be a good beginners printer ?
          did you make the extra parts to make it work better ?
          the maker claims it only takes 20 screws and a couple of hours to put together, is that true ?
          Thanks
          "...Ivconic looks like you are an expert on 3D now..."

No. I am still pretty far from "expert" knowledge. I am struggling most of the time to make acceptable 3D model.

"...Do you like your printer ?..."

Yes . For the price/performance relation it is excellent choice. Probably best choice on market today.

"...is there anything really bad with the printer ?...is the design strong ?"

Mechanical parts are just splendid. It can be used for any other kind of cnc setup.
          Nothing really bad to emphasize.

"...would you say the ender 3 would be a good beginners printer ?..."

My only experience so far is with that model. Can't say about other models.
          But it is pretty user friendly and not so though to get familiar with it.

"...did you make the extra parts to make it work better ?..."

Yes i made 3 extra parts. More because of the fun than for real reasons.
          Filament guide is useful. Fan cover is alright but not very important in my case. LCD board bottom cover is also alright, not very important though.

"...the maker claims it only takes 20 screws and a couple of hours to put together, is that true ?..."

It is true. It took me hour and 20 minutes to put it together without any issues.
          According to my (modest) experiences so far; 99% of issues in 3D printing are related to adjustments in software (slicing) and only 1% to 3D printer itself.
          Another very important thing that i realized is crucial importance of proper 3D model preparations.
          If 3D model is badly drawn and prepared; you'll face lot of issues later on in slicing and printing process.
          But if 3D model is properly drawn and prepared; later on everything else is piece of cake.
          So few things really depends only on 3D printer itself.
          3D printer (so as any other cnc) is pretty much "stupid" machine. It will do only what's told to it to do, through the lines of g-code.
          So, most of the blame is on previous actions before g-code enters the machine.
          For example, this my enclosure... it gives me lot of headaches now at this point; simply because i prepared it badly.
          I thought it is simple task, just to draw 3D elements and put it all in one object.
          But now after i gained some so so experiences in printing; i see clearly that i shall start drawing it again from the beginning.
          It is literally a "planning" job, to draw 3D for later 3D printing. You have to plan in advance every possible curve and primitive.
          To avoid too many corners, non-manifolds, "hangouts" ... etc etc.
          If i did that properly in the beginning; now my enclosure would print in less than 10 hours time frame. Instead; it estimates me 15 and more hours!
          More time, more material to waste and more chances something to go wrong during the printing.
          Main problem for me is exactly that; printing duration.
          Goal is to print it in highest possible quality and not to die waiting it to finish.
          Certain learning curve is simply MUST in these things.
          Ain't no hint nor tip that will help you to skip it.

Comment

Amazing information Ivca, I wonder if there are any finished files of gcode or whatever available for download for some standard generic boxes. Especially with battery compartment included. Also what software platform are you using?(Windows or Linux)

Comment

Originally posted by dbanner View Post
              Amazing information Ivca, I wonder if there are any finished files of gcode or whatever available for download for some standard generic boxes. Especially with battery compartment included. Also what software platform are you using?(Windows or Linux)

Win7. But this thematic is very well covered on all platforms equally.
              For free files you can always search at https://www.thingiverse.com
              Just type anything you want in search bar... and enjoy!

Comment

"...Ivconic looks like you are an expert on 3D now..."

Thanks for your answers , very helpful.

Comment

Much appreciated.
                  I have noticed that over the years, you have accumulated a wide variety of skills. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Much appreciated.
                    I have noticed that over the years, you have accumulated a wide variety of skills. Good luck with your project.
                    Those are all close and connected, one follows the another.
                    And the goal is same; to finalize the device best you can.
                    It's still a hobby, risen on bit higher level, thanks to fact that modern technology became cheaper and available to everyone.
                    I am just enjoying the same old hobby... but with new tools and toys.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_145641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	352106

Name:	20180826_145704.jpg
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	352107

Name:	20180826_145708.jpg
Size:	765.0 KB
ID:	352108

Name:	20180826_145720.jpg
Size:	830.3 KB
ID:	352109

Name:	20180826_145735.jpg
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	352110

Comment

Nice, now obvious question, can this design be mass produced by extrusion mold or some other means, or is it unique for only printing. Maybe is dummy question, please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Comment

Nice, now obvious question, can this design be mass produced by extrusion mold or some other means, or is it unique for only printing. Maybe is dummy question, please forgive my ignorance on the subject.
                          I was having something similar on my mind.
                          If this thing with magnetometer/gradiometer attracts enough number of customers; i was thinking to make 3D files for each part, than 3D print them, than make steel molds for each part and than to mass produce by extrusion from ABS.
                          Later on just to add complete enclosure to kits with magnetometer.
                          But for such purpose; 3D models should be slightly modified. I don't think it will present a problem.
                          But for now; idea is to make prototype like this and to record several video demonstrations for Youtube.
                          I can also offer complete 3D files for 3D printing along with kits. So those customers who can 3D print them; to be able to print them on their own.

Comment

So i implemented BT module in device design too, so as i wrote additional code to support and run BT with device.
                            Than i tested power consumption of whole setup. Interesting thing happened and i don't have a clue about it?!
                            With BT "ON" but not paired yet with outer world; whole device, magnetometer, is consuming ~50mA.
                            But when i pair BT on magnetometer with my laptop; than power drain drops to ~30mA !???
                            How come!?
                            Crazy!
                            That's why i added for 9V battery inner sort of enclosure (holder) with sliding (up and down) "door" and a screw.
                            On second purple enclosure on the photos you may see it.
                            With consumption ~50mA and when paired even ~30mA; one quality alkaline 9V battery should do just fine, right?

Comment

Answer is obvious, when BT is searching for partners, she consumes more power, once she is paired, she is in idle, so power consumption drops until she starts to actively trancieve data, then she will take power as required. Unless I missed something.
                              What material you use for the box( exactly what name and specs) or maybe I should read through the thread for answer.

Comment

Answer is obvious, when BT is searching for partners, she consumes more power, once she is paired, she is in idle, so power consumption drops until she starts to actively trancieve data, then she will take power as required. Unless I missed something.
                                What material you use for the box( exactly what name and specs) or maybe I should read through the thread for answer.

PLA 1.75 is the material.
                                Yes your explanation is making sense.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X