Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TESORO GOLDEN SABRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Virdi_248
    replied
    A question about Faraday shield.

    Place of connection?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Virdi_248
    replied
    Originally posted by Vladimir View Post
    Check voltage on the Tx coil, must be about 14V pp.
    Now impossible to measure voltage, the multimeter has crashed, it fell to the ground from 3 feet, I have to buy another soon.

    I made another DD coil and the coil over a euro coin detected to 26 cm in the air without faraday shield. (RX 100 laps) - (62 laps tx).

    If it works right when you put the shield no longer build more coils.

    Leave a comment:


  • lunamay
    replied
    hi
    what sensivity did you get yet?(for 1Euro coin)

    Leave a comment:


  • Vladimir
    replied
    Originally posted by Virdi_248 View Post
    One thing if it helps. I made a DD coil 60 back to TX and RX 120 for 0.25 thread if it helps.

    The depth (now 18 cm) and discrimination have greatly improved. soon will try to improve more and if I can not use proper and learn to use an oscilloscope
    Check voltage on the Tx coil, must be about 14V pp.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post
    TGSL #2. I only have about 38 to go to catch up to Ivconic! This one I used TLO71a instead of LM308s and BF245a instead of J107. No difference in performance. Just $11.00 cheaper!!!!

    One interesting thing I discovered while testing these.. Don't get your speaker anywhere near the coil!! Since the audio is a harmonic of the operating frequency, you can get some really strange oscillations, even if it's a few feet away. It took me a long time to figure why the circuit would go into these strange audio oscillations. Once I got the coil and speaker well separated, no more problems..

    Once it's packaged and you put it into use, no worries though.
    Interesting what you say about speaker. I have seen feedback but thought it was voltage on rails when speaker sounded. Didn't know that amount of separation needed.

    MDs are very hard to experiment with because when spread out on bench all kinds of noise comes in, including from scope probes. Difficult to draw conclusions. You learn best by building same one many times and comparing, especially coils, it seems.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyclonite View Post
    I was not referring to @lunamay...
    Ok, got confused and needed to clarify anyway...

    Leave a comment:


  • Virdi_248
    replied
    One thing if it helps. I made a DD coil 60 back to TX and RX 120 for 0.25 thread if it helps.

    The depth (now 18 cm) and discrimination have greatly improved. soon will try to improve more and if I can not use proper and learn to use an oscilloscope

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    TGSL #2. I only have about 38 to go to catch up to Ivconic! This one I used TLO71a instead of LM308s and BF245a instead of J107. No difference in performance. Just $11.00 cheaper!!!!

    One interesting thing I discovered while testing these.. Don't get your speaker anywhere near the coil!! Since the audio is a harmonic of the operating frequency, you can get some really strange oscillations, even if it's a few feet away. It took me a long time to figure why the circuit would go into these strange audio oscillations. Once I got the coil and speaker well separated, no more problems..

    Once it's packaged and you put it into use, no worries though.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Virdi_248
    replied
    [quote = Qiaozhi; 111560] Para tratar de construir su propia bobinas sin la ayuda de un osciloscopio está plagada de problemas, e incluso el intento de construir el PCB TGSL es extremadamente difícil. Yo siempre recomiendo comprar una bobina comercial Tesoro, incluso antes de tratar de construir su propio. [/ Quote]


    I do not agree with you. I have experience in welding. I have no experience in manufacturing rolls, I only made 6 or 7 for the metal detector surfmaster and gary and work well.

    Tgsl yesterday with only managed to detect up to 5 cm (2 inches) and now got new coils detect the tgsl 18cm (7 "+ -"). As you can see the progress was great. And if I can not learn if you need to use a oscilocopio. The essence of the matter is to make the switch yourself at all costs until the last consequences

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyclonite View Post
    I was not referring to @lunamay, but @Ivconic who nullifies his coils without the use of a scope. And he does have a scope, but dose not use it for nullifying coils. And I thought that I had read somewhere in this thread that he once blew up his scope during some kind of measurement (?).

    And about @lunamay, I am full of praise about his efforts and accomplishments, and have absolutely no reason to talk him down in anyway.

    Maybe @Ivconic is like me being a bachelor too, for I can't stick to one single woman. And it really doesn't bother me at all if partners are man-woman, man-man, or woman-woman. I am very pleased and fortunate to live in such a liberal minded country called Holland.


    Here you have an extract from @Ivconic's article about nullifying coils; TGSLCoil Making.pdf




    @Ivconic has lots of experience in coil making, but for most of us (including me) I think @Qiaozhi gives excellent advice that should not be overlooked.



    Attachment:

    TGSLCoil Making.pdf from @Ivconic

    Regards,

    Robert
    I have spent many hours balancing coils and the way that Ivconic balances his coils I find to be sufficient. The only advantage I see to using a scope is that you can see the results of under coupling or over coupling. You will observe either 20 degrees or 200 degrees Rx signal in reference to the TX signal, depending.

    With a multimeter, just connect a 1k resistor and a 15Nf in parallel with the coil while measuring. The thing that is a variable is the frequency response of a multimeter as most are designed to measure the RMS value of a 50 or 60 hz signal. So, what we look for is just the null point.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cyclonite
    replied
    Originally posted by dfbowers View Post

    Coils on the other hand are quite a different story. MUST be correct inductance & wire size, balanced with a multimeter or scope AND cast in a suitable housing with SLOW CURE epoxy. Must be absolutely rigid or you will be totally wasting your time. Not impossible though! Enough details exist to make anyone successful.

    Don
    Soon, I will make a write-up about how to make your own Q Dope

    Q Dope has outstanding dielectric properties, and is one of the best coil impregnating compounds known, with very little effect on the coils Q-Factor. It is rather expensive to buy, and is then only available in small bottles. Our Do-It-Yourself Q Dope will have the same dielectric properties as the commersial one, only it will then be even better suited for our coil making applications.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Leave a comment:


  • Cyclonite
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    I'm afraid your imagination is more vivid than mine. I was not making any personal comment about lunamay (who I think has done a great job with the tools at hand), just that most MD fanatics consider a scope the essence of life itself and feel rather lonely without one... or something like that...

    Cheers,

    -SB
    I was not referring to @lunamay, but @Ivconic who nullifies his coils without the use of a scope. And he dose have a scope, but dose not use it for nullifying coils. And I thought that I had read somewhere in this thread that he once blew up his scope during some kind of measurement (?).

    And about @lunamay, I am full of praise about his efforts and accomplishments, and have absolutely no reason to talk him down in anyway.

    Maybe @Ivconic is like me being a bachelor too, for I can't stick to only one single woman. And it really doesn't bother me at all if partners are man-woman, man-man, or woman-woman. I am very pleased and fortunate to live in such a liberal minded country called Holland.

    Here you have an extract from @Ivconic's article about nullifying coils; TGSLCoil Making.pdf

    ... Nice and fast method in cases when you don't have scope and similar instruments. Now i do have scope and many more instruments...but this method is so accurate and fast that i don't want to bug myself with to much “philosophy” ...

    ... Well balanced coil detects 1e coin at 30-34 cm distance in air.
    @Ivconic has lots of experience in coil making, but for most of us (including me) I think @Qiaozhi gives excellent advice that should not be overlooked.

    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    To try and build your own coils without the aid of an oscilloscope is fraught with problems, and even attempting to construct the TGSL PCB is extremely difficult. I would always recommend buying a commercial Tesoro coil before you even attempt to build your own.

    Attachment:


    TGSLCoil Making.pdf from @Ivconic

    Regards,

    Robert
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • dfbowers
    replied
    Originally posted by Qiaozhi View Post
    To try and build your own coils without the aid of an oscilloscope is fraught with problems, and even attempting to construct the TGSL PCB is extremely difficult. I would always recommend buying a commercial Tesoro coil before you even attempt to build your own.
    I agree. Strict attention to details and good soldering skills are a must. Otherwise, failure is highly likely and troubleshooting without a scope can make things difficult.

    Building a TGSL without a scope is not impossible though. I built a second.. no mistakes! Worked perfect from the beginning.

    Coils on the other hand are quite a different story. MUST be correct inductance & wire size, balanced with a multimeter or scope AND cast in a suitable housing with SLOW CURE epoxy. Must be absolutely rigid or you will be totally wasting your time. Not impossible though! Enough details exist to make anyone successful.

    Don

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    That clarifies it -- correct phase should be found on the side of null that is more overlapped -- if not, swap wires. Still, it would be good if someone would reference a diagram of a working design -- is it clear in TGSFinal stuff?

    BTW: I think he has no scope, making it difficult to run tests (and obtain a wife in some cultures...).

    -SB
    To try and build your own coils without the aid of an oscilloscope is fraught with problems, and even attempting to construct the TGSL PCB is extremely difficult. I would always recommend buying a commercial Tesoro coil before you even attempt to build your own.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyclonite View Post
    He once blew his scope up, ... killing his wife in the process (a cheap divorce solution I suppose)

    About the scope, he had admitted this. But I don't really know if he was married at all

    Maybe he does not even like woman

    Regards,

    Robert
    I'm afraid your imagination is more vivid than mine. I was not making any personal comment about lunamay (who I think has done a great job with the tools at hand), just that most MD fanatics consider a scope the essence of life itself and feel rather lonely without one... or something like that...

    Cheers,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X